News   Jul 04, 2024
 919     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 736     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 618     1 

The Beer Store: Political Reasons to Keep/Kill It

Yes, I am 100% in favour of legalizing marijuana, the same way it was legal in 1899.

Party like it's 1899? I have no problem with that at all.

Edit: I just want to clarify I have no personal objection to drinking alcohol. I can handle it just fine. But it seems too many other people cannot. So if alcohol beverages were banned, of course it would be bad for me personally. But sometimes I have to consider what's best for society as a whole instead of what's best for me.
A noble sacrifice on your part sir, I am humbled.

Yes, I am 100% in favour of legalizing marijuana, the same way it was legal in 1899.

Party like it's 1899? I have no problem with that at all.

Edit: I just want to clarify I have no personal objection to drinking alcohol. I can handle it just fine. But it seems too many other people cannot. So if alcohol beverages were banned, of course it would be bad for me personally. But sometimes I have to consider what's best for society as a whole instead of what's best for me.

Pasteurization of milk was "suggested" by 1886, even though it was available by 1773, it was not widely done. The Hospital for Sick Children had to do its own pasteurization of milk by 1909. Toronto passed a law requiring that all milk be pasteurized by 1914.

Toronto becomes one of the first North American cities to use chlorine to treat its water by 1912.

It was "healthier" to drink wine, beer, and other alcohol products, as well as some spring-fed water or manufactured soft drinks, in 1899.

Man critically injured in crash faces impaired driving charges

York Regional Police say a 21-year-old man who was critically injured in a seven-vehicle crash in Vaughan on Thursday morning has been arrested on suspicion of impaired driving.

The man was airlifted to a trauma centre in Toronto, where he is being treated for life-threatening injuries.

Police said paramedics transported the man and seven other people to hospital with "various levels of injury" after the vehicles collided in Thornhill at Bathurst Street and Clark Avenue at about 10 a.m.

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-critically-injured-in-crash-faces-impaired-driving-charges-1.1907569

I once went to the Beer Store to get some Speckled Hen, they advertised a 4 pack (and a six pack), but neither was actually available, I ended up purchasing a case just to get some, so I ended up with 24 500 ml bottles, my girlfriend at the time was a little put off, so I had to ration them out.

Really though in this day and age, why should the supply of alcohol be govt controlled?

Because if beer isn't sold almost exclusively in a dank musty store owned by MolsonCoors/Anheuser-Busch/Sapporo what's to stop everyone from shotgunning 6 tall boys of Crest Super 10% every morning? Please think about the children and the detrimental impact this will have on them.

Here's a link to an old TVO Agenda program about the Beer Store. The guy who represents the Beer Store is laughable. He looks like a meerkat caught in the headlights. He has absolutely zero credibility and gets rightfully skewered. There is also a public health nurse who is an abolitionist and makes Chicken Little sound like a carefree riverboat gambler. It's worth viewing just to see how ridiculous the Beer Store construct is. Why are we even having this conversation?
http://tvo.org/video/203777/beer-store-blues

Why are we even having this conversation?

I suspect it is because the majority of Ontarians don't really care. It is likely one of those issues that have smaller groups who are passionate about their positions on the opposite ends of a debate.....but the majority aren't choosing to consider it an issue (at least not one of their top 4/5 vote moving issues)......so there is no great political gain to be had from picking one side or the other for the politicians so you end up with the status quo...and since the majority don't care...that is fine with them.

From 2011

corner-store-graphic.jpg

^so, when asked a specific question with a binary option a majority support. If asked, "prior to this phone poll had you thought of this subject in the last year" what would the answer be?

Interesting, also, that the question was framed as "in addition to the beer store and LCBO"........it is not clear to me how these very well paid, unionized, retail jobs survive if a Mac's milk can sell booze thru their minimum wage channel.

I suspect it is because the majority of Ontarians don't really care.
That's me covered pretty much. I drink perhaps twelve to sixteen beers a year outside of restaurants. I just buy my beer in six packs or singles where I buy my wine. The beers I like, Fullers, Mill Street, Creamore, etc. are all available in conveniently smaller packs or singles at the wine store.

Gone are my younger days of buying a 24 of 50/Ex/Blu for a cottage chug.

I'm ok so screw everybody else. Nice.

Listen, if beer isn't your thing how about ethics? You know, monopolies and corrupt governments?

I'm ok so screw everybody else. Nice.

Listen, if beer isn't your thing how about ethics? You know, monopolies and corrupt governments?

The Beer Stores should definitely be cut lose at this point - the question remaining is whether all booze should be sold at LCBO (I think there will be logistical issues) or other types of retail outlet. Beer at the corner store? Not so sure about that - considering the amount of under the table stuff that goes on there.

AoD

Back