News   Jul 16, 2024
 817     1 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 638     0 

The 401 thread

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you're going east on the 401 towards Toronto, you can't exit to the 403, but you can go north on the 410.
I believe you also can't go west on the 401, from the 403, but I could be wrong about that one.

If you're going east on the 401 towards Toronto, you can't exit to the 403, but you can go north on the 410.
I believe you also can't go west on the 401, from the 403, but I could be wrong about that one.

You are correct. 410 or 401 east are the only options.

As a note: Construction on the 403/410 to go west is to start this year along with the rebuilding of Hurontario bridge. 401 will be 12 lanes up to Mavis.

Expect a few years of construction delays.
Any idea when the widening itself will start?

The reason the 401/403/410 don't connect fully yet is that the MTO has put it on hold until the 401 widening is completed.

Any idea when the widening itself will start?

Supposed to start this year and the reason for big push to rebuild McLaughlin Rd bridge from 2 lanes to 4 lanes last year. Then it was supposed to start 4 years ago.

The city kick in a few more million in the 2009 budget for Hurontario bridge.

There will be a new eastbound off ramp connection to Hurontario that will haft way between the existing ramp and Britannia Rd. It will hookup to Whittle Rd extension that will connect to Hurontario at the off ramp location.

Any one have news about when the 401 widening to the collector/express system to the Credit River will start?

yeah that never made sense how the 401 is like 5 lanes going into Oshawa while the much busier stretch to Milton is only 3.

Well I'm only referring to the widening from around the 410 to the Credit River, although I assume through to Mississauga Rd would occur soon after, given that they went to the trouble to replace the whole Mississauga Rd bridge a few years ago. They did McLaughlin as well. And next up is Hurontario. Which also begs the question, when are they redoing Hurontario?

yeah that never made sense how the 401 is like 5 lanes going into Oshawa while the much busier stretch to Milton is only 3.

Going into Oshawa is 3 lanes, from the east and west. Around Salem it's 4 lanes each direction, then 5 lanes west of Westney. Express and collectors begins/ends at Brock Road.

I think the broader question is why is it 5 lanes, 35 km east of Yonge, when in the west, 3 lanes starts only 25 km west of Yonge ... particularly when there are lot more people commuting from west of Hurontario, and east of Salem.

... though the answer is that there are many other options west of Hurontario, such as 407, 403, QEW ...

Any one have news about when the 401 widening to the collector/express system to the Credit River will start?
The press release from last week only indicated that the first phase (from 410 to Hurontario) would start sometime in 2009; no exact date was provided; I'm sure there must be clues if you start fishing through the tendering though.

Edit ... oh here it is - Contract 2009-2031:
https://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/RAQ...F37AC09F07EC18A8852575AE006C4A54?OpenDocument

Bids due July 15. "Hwy 401/403/410 Interchange to West of Hurontario St. Interchange". Workload rating of $130-million.

Last edited:
There appears to be utility relocation in advance of the Hurontario interchange reconstruction. I also think McLaughlin was intentionally completed first to provide relief as Hurontario is rebuilt.

There appears to be utility relocation in advance of the Hurontario interchange reconstruction. I also think McLaughlin was intentionally completed first to provide relief as Hurontario is rebuilt.
I thought McLaughlin was rebuilt first to provide relief for Mavis. Hurontario would be easier, as the new structure would likely be built, while the old structure was still in use ... like they did at Mississauga Road. Though I guess it would help for Hurontario as well ... but I doubt there will be that many restrictions ... mostly on the ramps I would think.

On Mavis hower, when they built the current structure, they did so with the ability to add two additional spans while widening the 401; however this would result in lane closures on Mavis during the widening.

They also rehabbed Second Line ... which is really redundant now with Mavis ... not sure if it will still be around once the new Mavis structure is completed.

Last edited:
lol just make this the 401 thread...

It appears the plan is a collecter express system till the Credit River and then a 10 lane (5 lane each way) to Mississauga road.

I could say the whole highway to Milton needs at least one more lane.

Good things is the 401 will be 3 lanes to the 402 past London soon.

Back