News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Telecoms in Canada

Interac shouldn't be solely dependent on one network operator.

Nationalizing telecom won't work, unless we won't to go back to Soviet-esque service we had prior to deregulation. We do need to ensure telecoms don't get to be too big.

Nationalizing telecom won't work, unless we won't to go back to Soviet-esque service we had prior to deregulation. We do need to ensure telecoms don't get to be too big.

Maybe it's time to break up Rogers - and ban service bundling.

AoD

I read an article today - perhaps in The Star - that quoted somebody from Interac saying that they are exploring a second carrier. Of course, any additional costs will be passed along.

Not a fan of nationalization. The nature of our population distribution makes it really difficult to have multiple network owners. Towers, satellites or kilometers of cable between population centres is really expensive. I don't know enough to propose regulating a shared or co-owned backbone, mandatory emergent access, or some other option.

I would accept a more free-for-all or caveat emptor type of environment if we weren't paying some of highest consumer rates on the planet.

More than anything, this was my largest takeaway from Friday.

All important infrastructure should have network redundancies. It is absurd how vulnerable we are to a theoretical cyber-attack.
Putin and Xi must be licking their chops.

Apparently, Rogers customers will be getting a 5-day credit on their bills.

So, that's probably something like $15-25 for the typical internet package; and under $10 for the typical cell phone user.

Hmmm; the class-action lawsuit filed in Quebec is asking for $400 per customer.........

I actually think that's funny in a perverse sort of way.

Good disaster management plan by your employer, but it's easier for large organizations. Some, particularly on another forum I follow, are not a fan the suggestion that government regulation is needed to ensure network strength and redundancy, saying it should be up to individuals. It's a lot tougher for a small business to afford or justify two network connections 'just in case'. Of course, they could always revert to cash.
The 9-1-1 challenges will be interesting. It is an existing regulation that you can call 9-1-1 even if you don't have a signal from your subscribed network. I suppose the issue here is that the Rogers wireless system was still "active", but it simply couldn't connect you on a phone call beyond the closest cell tower.
That's one they will definitely need to investigate. I suppose the way around it was to actually yank out your SIM card to call the emergency line, which of course would be time consuming and complicated to do. My phone needs a small little pin to shove in the side to get the SIM card to eject. If you go back 15 years, almost any phone could have the sim card pulled out from a slot on the back with little more effort than removing a backpiece. I wonder if regulation here has not kept up with tech change.

The 9-1-1 challenges will be interesting. It is an existing regulation that you can call 9-1-1 even if you don't have a signal from your subscribed network. I suppose the issue here is that the Rogers wireless system was still "active", but it simply couldn't connect you on a phone call beyond the closest cell tower.
That's one they will definitely need to investigate. I suppose the way around it was to actually yank out your SIM card to call the emergency line, which of course would be time consuming and complicated to do. My phone needs a small little pin to shove in the side to get the SIM card to eject. If you go back 15 years, almost any phone could have the sim card pulled out from a slot on the back with little more effort than removing a backpiece. I wonder if regulation here has not kept up with tech change.
This is way over my head but I thought Bell and Rogers used different cel technologies. Otherwise, how does your Rogers account know to access the Rogers network? I thought the universal ability to call 911 overrode the limits of your subscription plan, roaming limits, etc. As I said, way over my head.

During the latter throes of the Rogers outage, I noticed our home computer and modem showed the network was working again - it just wouldn't connect to the world (although email was working).

This is way over my head but I thought Bell and Rogers used different cel technologies. Otherwise, how does your Rogers account know to access the Rogers network? I thought the universal ability to call 911 overrode the limits of your subscription plan, roaming limits, etc. As I said, way over my head.

During the latter throes of the Rogers outage, I noticed our home computer and modem showed the network was working again - it just wouldn't connect to the world (although email was working).

At one point - I think Bell used CDMA and Rogers was DSM.

AoD

Talking about networks, Apple Pay and Google Pay were unavailable at the LCBO and the grocery store just now; this seems to be a country-wide problem.

Hahahahaha!

AoD
While I can certainly understand problems with multiple systems (and the fact that it was the Rogers Centre is just delicious), I'd like a little bit more detail on the 'doors wouldn't open issue'. I have have a hard time believing that the Fire and Building Codes would approve a system without an override.

This is kind of absurd. My employer uses redundant data connections at all major premises. We go so far as ensuring the connections enter the building at different places, so one guy with a backhoe can't cut both lines. We were ticking along fine on Friday beside the fact that 25% of our WFH workforce had to make an unplanned trip to the office.

I get that Rogers is a telco and wants to use their own services, but it is frankly nuts that they don't have redundancy for their internal corporate network.
Looks like this is a part of what happened after all.

many Rogers employees looking to fix the problem were affected and could not connect to the company's IT and network systems. As a result, only those "equipped with emergency SIMs on alternate carriers" could initially triage the outage.
Sounds like they could only muster a handful of staff for the first few hours. I'm guessing they will now significantly expand the number of staff with alternate carrier SIM cards.

Back