40     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 433     0 

Telecoms in Canada

I'm not overly concerned w/speed.
Its importance is massively overstated.

I pay for "150mbps" but because of my browser end up with speeds of around 10mbps. Everything works fine.
I guess if you're streaming seven screens of 4K nonsense......

I am concerned w/being over-priced. (relative to other similar jurisdictions).
I'm on year 4 of a "special promo" offer from Rogers where I'm paying less than half the sticker price for my internet. One just has to shop around, talk to people, get lucky, etc

That said, I'm not particularly in favour of a City-owned network............I'm just open to bullying the telcos into being less greedy.
Yeah, oligopolies and monopolies are shit. Running city-owned fibre isn't going to change the competition landscape in this country. It's not a free and open market with all manner of subsidy and it's not truly competitive because industry consolidation is allowed to well past a reasonable point.

Rogers is buying Shaw:

Rogers is buying Shaw:

There wasn't much competition before; there will be even less now, if the CRTC approves this.

I would hope they would be required to divest the cell business.

At least it should mean a one-time windfall for Canadian television.

The traditional rule of thumb, as I recall as 10% of the transaction value, so $160M

Hmmm

This article values the transaction {including debt) at 26B.

From said article:

1615811011434.png

The price discrepancy on the deal is FX. It's CAD$20B, plus assumption of $6B in debt by Rogers. The Bloomberg article quotes $16B as a USD figure for the $20B CAD in equity.

So I guess we're rolling with Rogers, Bell, and Telus owning and mostly operating everything, with a handful of small regional providers (Videotron and Saskatel, etc..) you can count on one hand picking up the rest. 90% of the infrastructure will belong to the big three.

Last edited:
The price discrepancy on the deal is FX. It's CAD$20B, plus assumption of $6B in debt by Rogers. The Bloomberg article quotes $16B as a USD figure for the $20B CAD in equity.

Thanks for noting that.

So I guess we're rolling with Rogers, Bell, and Telus owning and mostly operating everything, with a handful of small regional providers you can count on one hand picking up the rest. 90% of the infrastructure will belong to the big three.

All the more reason to mandate proper re-selling on their fibre by third party providers at a fare wholesale rate.

Though, it would be nice if Rogers were compelled to offload the Shaw Cell business to Videotron giving us a 4th player with some capital.

Yes, they should at least be forced to dispose of Freedom Mobile.
As a Freedom Mobile customer, it would be best if Rogers were forced to spin off Freedom Mobile.

Corus could purchase Freedom Mobile.

We don't want to be like the United States, where it has three major cell phone service providers: AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile (which merged with Sprint very recently).

Is the CRTC getting too cosy with big telecom? Star analysis finds major telecoms met with government and CRTC officials hundreds of times prior to reversal on wholesale internet rates

June 12, 2021

Thousands sign online petition condemning CRTC decision on higher internet rates

OpenMedia describes the telecom and broadcast regulator's May 27 ruling as a "blatant attack on affordability and choice"

June 12, 2021

An Ottawa-based digital-rights group says that a federal regulator is the “biggest barrier to an affordable internet in Canada.”

In an online petition, OpenMedia claimed that the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) “just screwed Canadians” by allowing large companies like Bell and Rogers to revert back to “oppressively high 2016 [wholesale] rates.”

The petition, which has attracted more than 23,000 signatures, calls on the federal cabinet to overrule the CRTC.

The regulator’s May 27 decision means that smaller Internet Service Providers – including Teksavy, Distributel, and EBOX – must pay far higher wholesale fees to the telecom giants for access to their networks.

According to OpenMedia, that will “inevitably see internet prices surge and smaller providers struggle to survive.”

“This is the most anti-customer decision OpenMedia has ever seen from the CRTC,” it stated. “Something stinks here – and it smells like a regulator that’s been captured by corporate interests.”

Visual-Capitalist-mobile-countries-1054x2048.jpg

Back