News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Synergy Condos DEAD

I generally use a building ratio of 3.2m per storey (NOT the floor-to-floor height, but the total building height divided by the number of storeys), but that seems to hold only for the relatively short towers up to 50 storeys (if a 50s tower can be considered 'short'), but beyond that height, the ratio varies a lot between buildings, with an average ratio somewhere around 3.4m per storey. (Probably due to the greater use of rooftop architectural elements and double-height podium floors.)

So I would expect a 100s building to be somewhere around 340m in height. But the Synergy building is being described as greater than 100 storeys -- how much greater I do not know, but a common reaction of those who have seen the plans seems to be astonishment at its height, so I would guess maybe 110 storeys, giving an expected height of 374m (assuming that it's a 'typical' supertall with its number of storeys).

Last edited:
This rumour is definitely bringing out my internal skyscraper fanboy. Arbitrary distinction or not, the idea of Toronto getting a "supertall" is exciting.

There could be several supertalls in the works -- not only Synergy, but the rumoured Yorkville tower would be a definite supertall, and one of the various rumoured 80-storey towers could exceed 300m as well (it would need to have a ratio of 3.75m per floor, which is high but not out of the question, about the same as the new Four Seasons tower and well below Trump).

Last edited:
Wow! Our hot real estate market is getting world recognition, everyone wants a piece of the action. With Bazis from Kazakhstan, Concord and Henderson from Hong Kong, and now this, Toronto is becoming a playground for the rich and international developers. And tons of companies from Vancouver too. Truly exciting times to be a skyscraper fan in this city. Although will be interesting to see how this and the other rumours materialize in midst of unpredictable economic times.

Is there any chance that planning staff would ever support an application over 100 storeys anywhere outside of the CBD?

I was just making a wild guess about the location of this tower (in the hopes of getting a reaction with solid answers--looks like my strategy worked.:)). However, SynergyCondominiums.com has been registered by "Synergy Core Investments"--anyone want to dig further or with access to a database to find who's behind this group?

Now Dubai does have history with the Synergy name--could it be by the same folks behind http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=1606 ?

The Toronto Star's New in Homes and Condo site is suggesting this project is next to or across from the Eaton Centre--could it be Dundas Square rebuild or that NW corner of Yonge and Dundas site that BlackTowerTV referred to a month or so ago on twitter?

Last edited:
Oh, please please please tear down that Penequity monstrosity and replace it with this spectacular proposal. It would improve the intersection one million percent.

Is there any chance that planning staff would ever support an application over 100 storeys anywhere outside of the CBD?

Planning staff wouldn't support a 100 floors in the CBD. Not to reign in on anyone's parade but the likeliness of this happening is slim.

I'm curious how agents and brokers are coming across information even before "industry insiders" (in the broadest of terms). This could very well be the latest marketing tactic. Our friend at BlacktowerTV who was and may continue to be a major local editor at Emporis has a database riddled with incorrect specs and blatant errors.

The number of development applications in the community agendas doesn't reflect these rumours either as they have undoubtably dropped off in numbers. To pull a sudden 180, I have heard through the grapevine that sales are slumping past the initial release too. The market beyond the investors/flippers has taken a massive dive.

Last edited:
Planning staff wouldn't support a 100 floors in the CBD. Not to reign in on anyone's parade but the likeliness of this happening is slim.

That's why I think it might be at the foot of Yonge street. Something iconic at the foot of Yonge has been talked about for years as part of the waterfront redevelopment planning, and it seems like a site where shadows, traffic, etc., wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Maestro

Our data breaks down sales among new project launches and existing projects. The absorption rate among new projects has been accelerating with the higher level of investor activity, while absorption among existing (new) projects has been fairly consistent.

For a lot of developers, as soon as the meet their pre-construction sales target, there is less emphasis on selling the units as quickly, as they can make more money on the suites as time passes and prices go up. Obviously the risk tolerance of some developers is much different than others, some would like to sell the building out and not worry, while others are looking to maximize profit while taking the risk of holding the units longer (and taking the risk that the market does not tank!)

I have not heard a thing about Synergy Condos, but would be very suprised to see a 100-storey tower.

Condo sales were up 10% in the GTA, nothing is pointing towards a massive dive. Some at SSP, were speculating that the market was due for a crash last month, or this month.

There's always October guys, keep your fingers crossed.

...and everyone I know in the industry is very, very busy right now......

For the record: I do not see this happening. At all.

What bank would loan money to a 100 storey building about to be built at the cusp of a potential major financial $hit-storm.

Back