News   Jul 25, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 642     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 493     0 

Susan Boyle, the wee Scottish lady who sings

I don't think it's so much that she's ugly and therefore I expected nothing from her. What got me was just that she was such an underdog going into it, and as a devoted lifelong supporter of the underdog (can't help it, grew up watching the Leafs) it sometimes gets easy to lose hope. Someone sent me the video without telling me what it was, and when it started I picked up everything lesouris mentioned and I really wanted her to kick ass, but the little jaded part of me figured that I was about to witness something along the lines of Star Wars Kid.

When she started up and showed that she could hold her own (Was it a phenomenal vocal performance? Damned if I know, I'm a half-deaf tradesman), I almost did a little fist-pump. It didn't matter if she was the underdog because she was ugly or the underdog because she was handicapped, or the underdog for any other reason, it just made me happy that everyone was so against her and all she did was give the crowd a cheeky smile and then proved them wrong.

But then that's me. I'd be cheering for the Christian against the lion, and then for the lion against the rifle. I just love seeing the long shot pull through

Louise Pitre says, " Any note above a B flat held for any length of time gets a standing ovation. It's the weirdest thing."
People watching this video are not reacting to Susan Boyle's looks, they are reacting to her singing voice.
As far as my previous tongue in cheek remark about a make over for this woman, c'mon, all of us adore looking our best and why not!
I don't see this singing sensation going away any time soon.

If Susan Boyle, all other things being equal, were a 21-year old hottie, would she have dominated the news this past week, or received any substantial media attention beyond those whom watch these kinds of shows anyway?

There have been dozens of young and pretty girls who auditioned for American Idol and sang just as well, but they didn't receive the same attention as a result of only one performance.

It's very much about her being ugly.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much that she's ugly and therefore I expected nothing from her. What got me was just that she was such an underdog going into it

Yes, but why was she considered an underdog going into it?

Because she's ugly.

And that's precisely the root of the problem. A young and pretty girl would not have faced such utterly dismal expectations.

Yes, but why was she considered an underdog going into it?

Because she's ugly.

And that's precisely the root of the problem. A young and pretty girl would not have faced such utterly dismal expectations.

I think it's also because of her personality.

I don't know, if you're going to pick an example, I don't think Kelly Clarkson would be it. She's been torn apart because of her "weight problem" and lack of rack. I don't mind her at all. She's sort of the anti-bimbo singing star who went against her label and Clive Davis to release the record she wanted to release. Didn't quite work out for her, but still.

Although, I am happy for Susan Boyle....I loathe reality TV. It would be far better for this world if all of us were to stop watching shows like American Idol and 'Britain's got talent'. Susan Boyle is the exception to the rule. But in general shows like these promote looks over talent. The Susan Boyles of the world were probably better off before reality TV shows became the ultimate arbiters of musical talent.

Amateur talent shows have been around since radio. I remember Tiny Talent Show with Bill Lawrence when he wasn't doing the weather (1957-1992; 2000-2001). Some Tiny Talent Time kids include Sheila Copps, Frank Augustine and Deborah Cox.
2168.jpg

Last edited:
Although, I am happy for Susan Boyle....I loathe reality TV. It would be far better for this world if all of us were to stop watching shows like American Idol and 'Britain's got talent'. Susan Boyle is the exception to the rule. But in general shows like these promote looks over talent. The Susan Boyles of the world were probably better off before reality TV shows became the ultimate arbiters of musical talent.

I wouldn't be too worried. I'm pretty sure that people who really give a damn about music as an art form don't pay much attention to reality "talent" shows. Imagine walking into "Rotate This" or "Soundscapes" and asking the guys behind the counter when the winner of Canadian Idol will perform in their store.

Well, as proof that nothing's new here re Kelly Clarkson or whomever, here's Kate Smith
kate.jpg

I wouldn't be too worried. I'm pretty sure that people who really give a damn about music as an art form don't pay much attention to reality "talent" shows. Imagine walking into "Rotate This" or "Soundscapes" and asking the guys behind the counter when the winner of Canadian Idol will perform in their store.

I write music, I record music - pop songs, orchestral, documentary scoring - and I still enjoy the reality "talent" shows. I didn't know the patrons of Rotate this and Soundscapes were the only ones who gave a damn about music. Save us, oh great audiophiles, from the evils of reality television!

These shows are what they are and sometimes provide good insight into the inner workings of the music business.

If she wasn't ugly, no one would give a crap. She's got a great voice, but so do lots of other people. I personally don't see what the big deal is.

Back