News   Jul 08, 2024
 387     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

Summerhill GO Station Proposal

^ Indeed. Most of the space needed would be for the connection between the Go station and the TTC station below. Most of this could bypass the LCBO. I'd imagine very few people would actually exit to the street.

I don't think that putting a GO station would require much, if any space from the LCBO store. GO stations have a pretty small footprint when you exclude the parking. A couple window booths, a few ticket cancelling machines and stairs up to the track level. I would think that both the retail greatness that is that LCBO store (I really do like it) and a GO station could both exist there.

It will need a larger footprint than the average GO station, as this would be a mini-node, kind of like Hamilton GO Centre. There would have to be elevators, stairs, and a decently sized waiting room to hold crowds coming off the subway. A newsstand would probably be included as well, as would washrooms (which all staffed GO stations have). There'll be trains at least headed to the Milton corridor as well as Seaton and Clairmont-Pickering Airport-Peterbrough corridors, possibly Bolton or some Georgetown trains as well. It'd be a good place to interface with a proper rail network for places like Pearson as well.

Dupont would take some of the loads as well, so Summerhill-Yonge need not be that huge.

Maybe GO should just build a new modest station on the North Side adjacent to Summerhill and Mr Oberman can STFU.

Well Oberman wants to put a 40 storey tower just to the south so expropriate that land from him for a new station. Would also ensure that Summerhill Station would now have a second exit.

Actually, now that I think of it, it's a shame that Summerhill doesn't have a bus loop. If you really wanted to make this a little mini-hub, it would make sense to have more buses serving the area as well. Right now, not really an option with no bus loop.

North Toronto GO stations and TTC Subway links...

Everyone: I decided to go to the sattelite section of Google Maps and I looked at the intersections in question-my questions are: At Yonge in the North Toronto station there are two tracks-can two island platforms-I believe this would be the minimum for service in both directions-4 tracks total-be accomodated along with two outside tracks? I could not tell if that is so-a minimum would be a third track thru there to allow freight trains to pass. That line is CPs North Toronto Subdivision-directly accessing busy CP points such as Agincourt Yard. Does anyone know how much freight traffic that line sees? If CP and GO can work something out-let the planning begin! (and the trains rolling soon after).
The other connecting station at Dupont will be a good alternative-can extra tracks be accomodated there for GO use? I have a link to Toronto area railroads: WWW.TRAINWEB.ORG/RAILSINTORONTO/ that is informative-there is a link to the North Toronto Station that failed to work for me,though. In closing-this plan is somewhat interesting-providing flexibility for E/W GO riders! LI MIKE

^ This link doesn't seem to work for me either.

With all respect Greg, I don't think putting a bus loop in is a good idea. This would rile up the NIMBYs even more. And I don't think there are any buses in the area anyway, other than the Yonge bus (97) which apparently is one that is up for cancellation if the city can't get more money by October.

Where *could* bus routes go, anyway? Other than Yonge itself, everything around here is residential and cul-de-saccy or speed-bumpy. Unless you want to close the Rosedale loop and move it up to Summerhill...

Why not have two stations? One at the University Line, and another at the Yonge Line? If I were coming from the Milton Line I could just get off at the University Line station and ride south instead of staying on the train longer.
This is a no-brainer. Especially if we are getting signs from GO that they will eventually be moving to a more S-Bahn like system. I`m not sure why Giambrone wants one or the other.

Great to see GO talking about this early though!

North Toronto GO station: Good idea BUT...

Everyone: I took a good look at the North Toronto station from the airview at Google Maps again-I feel the stations would need to have two outside tracks added instead and platforms on the outside E and W as the airviews show. I feel that CP would demand that as a minimum at both NT and Dupont locations to allow freight trains to pass stopped GO trains. It would not suprise me if CP would only let GO operate trains thru there on a limited-or peak-hour basis because of the line's importance as a freight corridor that avoids Downtown.
Those planners back in the 1920s had the foresight to design Toronto Union as a thru station-and not a stub end terminal-which would hamper operations and probably not allow much room for growing commuter ridership. I do not think anyone that formed GO Transit Rail in the late 60s realized that the GO experiment of 1967 would become a permanent and successful part of Toronto's transit and grow to become the major commuter operator that GO has become. Now that Union is reaching full capacity this could be a good alternative. In this case good relations with CP could be the key to this GO rail line becoming reality!
My thoughts here....LI MIKE

Where *could* bus routes go, anyway? Other than Yonge itself, everything around here is residential and cul-de-saccy or speed-bumpy. Unless you want to close the Rosedale loop and move it up to Summerhill...

If you had stations at both Dupont and in Leaside, then it wouldn't be needed. But if you didn't, then I would think you'd want buses that would run east and west, East into Leaside, and South and then West along Dupont. Riders could hop the subway and transfer at St. Clair or Bloor/Yonge, but I was thinking it would make sense to cut down on the transfers to make transit more attractive.

I don't see the need for building a bus terminal just because a GO station might one day exist at Summerhill. There are almost no through streets that run in an east west direction between Bloor and St. Clair. Any buses that would head into Summerhill are guaranteed to pass by another subway station first, which is exactly where 90% of passengers would get on or off. I would not want bus routes to change until the GO line runs completely across the city and has enough local stops within Toronto that a local commuter base is built.

Paul Oberman is especially averse to the idea. His Woodcliffe Corporation owns the refurbished North Toronto station and most of the surrounding block.

He has a simple message for GO officials: "The land is not for sale."

What a great quote. I wonder if he's ever heard of "expropriation."

Back