News   Jun 28, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 334     0 

Summerhill GO Station Proposal

The intersection of the Stouffville line, the Midtown line, and the Sheppard subway would be a "second Union Station" according to Norm Kelly.

Also, NIMBYs would surely spring up to oppose it in a number of neighbourhoods, not just around Summerhill station. Keep in mind that this would be perceived as a project to benefit those inconvenient people out in the burbs; very few in Toronto itself would see it as a benefit to themselves.

We should all be in it together, no matter who is using it. It's all about taking cars off of the road. We all benefit greatly from that. Toronto gets cleaner air, because less people from the outlying cities are driving into the city and using transit instead. Win/Win.

I would also like to see this line be electric, not Diesel engine.

Paul Oberman is especially averse to the idea. His Woodcliffe Corporation owns the refurbished North Toronto station and most of the surrounding block.

He has a simple message for GO officials: "The land is not for sale."

Maybe GO should just build a new modest station on the North Side adjacent to Summerhill and Mr Oberman can STFU....:rolleyes:

Especially since it used to BE a train station, and the tennant is the LCBO, I don't think expropriating it would be too difficult. GO getting a new station is more important than ONE company's bottom line.

Especially since it used to BE a train station, and the tennant is the LCBO, I don't think expropriating it would be too difficult. GO getting a new station is more important than ONE company's bottom line.

I don't understand why Oberman would care if the LCBO was replaced by a GO station, he could still retain ownership of the property and GO could negotiate a long term lease.

I don't understand why Oberman would care if the LCBO was replaced by a GO station, he could still retain ownership of the property and GO could negotiate a long term lease.

Who cares about Oberman? But I think the majority of all residents in that and the large surrounding area would care if the LCBO left. That store is magnificant - a true bragging-right for the area.

Having said that, this area should be reclaimed to include a new GO station as well.

Who cares about Oberman? But I think the majority of all residents in that and the large surrounding area would care if the LCBO left. That store is magnificant - a true bragging-right for the area.

Having said that, this area should be reclaimed to include a new GO station as well.

I often wonder about society when a liquor store becomes a bragging right - perhaps the LCBO can be relocated in one of hundreds of spots in the area...

It is a very nice liquor store and very sympathetic to the building's intended use - the old Liquor and Beer stores wedged in there were oh so dank. It's probably my favourite LCBO, but not that I go there very often.

You just aren't drunk enough to understand.

that's true, maybe they can incorporate the LCBO and the train station, that way people are sober when they enter and drunk by the time they board the train.
Should make the commute more bearable.

It is a very nice liquor store and very sympathetic to the building's intended use - the old Liquor and Beer stores wedged in there were oh so dank. It's probably my favourite LCBO, but not that I go there very often.

but I like the dankness, and if the cashier doesn't have a shotgun under the counter, you can't call it a real liquor store...

You'll be happy to know that the dankness is maintained in the cubbyhole liquor store at Union Station, that looks like it hasn't changed since the order form and fetch system was disposed of and liquor finally allowed out for display.

I don't think that putting a GO station would require much, if any space from the LCBO store. GO stations have a pretty small footprint when you exclude the parking. A couple window booths, a few ticket cancelling machines and stairs up to the track level. I would think that both the retail greatness that is that LCBO store (I really do like it) and a GO station could both exist there.

Anyway, I am a close by resident (Yonge and St. Clair) and I support the idea.

Back