News   Aug 23, 2024
 886     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 512     0 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

Call me crazy but I really like the spiderweb of wires that comes with our streetcars. 🤓

Crazy is a strong word............but as you recently confessed to 'leaving the club' at 6am on a bike..............I think quirky would be fair, LOL

Last edited:
I'm OK with the downtown streetcar network, it's the unnecessarily severe OCS on the new LRT lines that troubles me. Big honking pillars.

I presume engineering spec'd them to withstand a derailed LRV or snowplow collision.

Ugh! I wish the TTC didn't purchase all these new streetcars and instead looked at some kind of battery powered streetcars. Get rid of all this nasty overhead wiring. The intersection looked so much better without it.

Bombardier had a wireless power technology, Primove. They sold it.

The thing about these technologies in comparison to trolley/pantograph/third rail is that they tend to be developed in a proprietary fashion (e.g. Alstom APS) and thus create a lock in for that vendor. Specifying wireless capability for the downtown order would have reduced the number of vendors able to respond to the original RFP and they had enough issues there with the turning radius and grade change performance needed.

Primove would probably have been a kinda good fit for Toronto being below ground whereas APS is ground level tech.

I presume engineering spec'd them to withstand a derailed LRV or snowplow collision.
It's not necessarily because of that. These poles have to support more weight from the addition of the heavier messenger (the wires that carry the bulk of the traction power for the contact wire between substations) wires and resist the tension forces that the wires are under as well.

Well, if Edmonton can do this with the Valley Line, Metrolinx ought to be able to do as well.

- Paul

1724011244249.png

Back