News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Star: Tokyo plans to outdo Toronto('s CN Tower)

Don't they turn off the lights to save the migrating birdies?

Does the CN Tower not light up better during the in-between times?

Does the CN Tower not light up better during the in-between times?

Yes

They shut off the lights during the spring and fall migration. It has nothing to do with being cheap and everything to do with conservation. I’m so sick of reading “Toronto cheap this, Toronto cheap thatâ€â€¦, maybe I should start banning the idiotic members who post this crap.

I generally like those, and don't really care about the record...

Looks like it is time for Toronto to plan an extension to the CN Tower, to keep it the tallest.

Miketoronto, keep advocating ideas like this and you'll continue to be a last-place political fringe candidate and laughing stock...

First off , I agree that they turn them off for a few weeks during migration. Bravo.

But the rest of the year, no way. Everyone who visits seems to comment on it after seeing The Empire State or any other big building.

I wrote them about this, and they said they have not found a lighting proposal they liked and that it was a challenge. Yeah, so was building it. Toronto should have that thing beaming! It is part of our signature!

Billy, I can not count how many times I have defended Toronto buildings while so many forum members screamed up and down about cheap buliding materials, cheap construction etc etc etc

I love this city, and I love this forum. I am thankful to you for providing it, and to posters like Ganjavih, Cassius, Ed, etc etc for some amazing reading and insight.

I am not sure if you are having a bad day or what? But to say "maybe I should start banning the idiotic members who post this crap." is personal and uncalled for. I was expressing an opinion.

al_burj.jpg

What a slap on the face of Toronto: Not only are they trying to take our title for World's Tallest Freestanding Structure.. but they're doing it by copying the twin curved towers of Toronto City Hall!

Toronto-cityhall.jpg

:\

At the rate of constuction that Burj Dubai is going, the CN will lose it's title in the middle week of August 07.

I don't mind this at all...it was bound to happen. We've held the title for 30 years.

Regarding the lighting, I can appreciate that it's kept unlit at certain times of the year out of concern for migrating birds...but it never seems lit (or very well lit)...ever.

Instead of extending the mast, we should just dig down around the base of the tower about 200 metres and install the new ticket booth. Take an elevator down and then take one up, way up. Pretty cheap too.

Best of all we could do this all under wraps until 2009 and teach SOM and those arrogant DuBuyers a lesson. Won't they be suprised. That's T-Dot initiative for you.

^^I agree, thirty years is quite a bit. Who did CN Tower take the title from? Sears Tower? And they had it only a few years, I guess. And before that, the Empire State Building which had the title for almost 50 years!

Actually, what the CN Tower took its title from was Moscow's Ostankino Tower. "Tallest freestanding structure", not "tallest building"...

Depends who you ask, in some circles it's considered to be the world's tallest building; but I agree such a title is cheap and it should only legitimately be the world's tallest freestanding structure.

We only knew it as freestanding -- i think the technicallity of it made it sexier.

Plus, Toronto has the Tallest Freestanding Bucket in Liberty Village, and we knew about that in Windsor too -- so freestanding got around.

...and the tallest freestanding zit...
Toronto-RoyThomsonHall.jpg

...CD tower...
2.jpg

...poiuyt...
250_270_qq.jpg

Back