News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 650     0 

Star: New Signs for the TTC

I remember this (and prefer) it...

3158.jpg

link: http://www.barp.ca/bus/ontario/toronto/3158.jpg

Oh man the new livery for those KMB buses is ugly.

Sure, they don't look appealing to North American tastes (except in Las Vegas, where buses for The Deuce look exactly the same), but Hong Kong (along with Singapore) probably has the least tackiest bus designs in all of Asia.

That is beside my point. I still think gold is still a pretty good alternative to the "cream" in "maroon and cream".

White poles with red bands top and bottom?

In 1933, white poles with red bands at top and bottom were introduced as marker for TTC streetcar and bus stops.

So how about using a white pole with red bands at top and bottom holding the pylon sign, or use the white with red bands near the subway entrances.

ttc_bus050406.jpg
2047195061_5a263918bd.jpg

ser71%5Cs0071_it9696.jpg

Three years later....
I passed Osgoode station today and lo and behold, the new "logo on a pole" sign had been installed at the north-east corner entrance.

Jeezus chrysler. I had already given up on this. Why do things take so long in this city? No photos I supposed Jonny5?

EDIT: Which reminds me... why was the South-West stair closed for 2 months (maybe more)?? All I noticed were the repaved stairs. That's it? Having closed for that long, I thought they were going to rebuild the whole entrance.

Last edited:
The stairs were refinished completely (i.e. built from scratch) and finished with stone, rather than cement. They also put in a bike channel to make it easier to bring bicycles into the system in those few hours in a day when they're allowed.

Jeezus chrysler. I had already given up on this. Why do things take so long in this city? No photos I supposed Jonny5?

Unfortunately I didn't take one, though I'm sure one will pop up here soon.
It looks just like the render and it is brightly backlit with very white light at night.

The sign doesn't even say Subway. How will this help anyone from out-of-town find the subway? Surely it's just a reduction on what is on the current signs.
Sigh, I'm tired of standing at Coxwell and Danforth and having strangers come up to me scratching their head and asking where the subway station is - this won't help.
The smaller door sign does have "Subway" in white on black under the subway symbol. Most out-of-towners should know that Toronto's transit is called the TTC, just like they'd know visiting Montreal it's the STM/Metro or the Tube/Underground in London.

What they really need is pedestrian wayfinding signs from the station to the four surrounding major intersections and vice-versa.

Yeah, I noticed that new Osgoode sign. Maybe a little too CGI-animation bulbous for its own good...

Why cant they stick with one kind of sign and actually outfit the entire system with it? The new Victoria Part renovations seemed to have used the old style pylon signs anyway.

The signs make no sense. That doesn't say subway. Even if you know the TTC is the transit system that doesn't mean subway. A Queen Streetcar is going to go right past the same sign with a TTC logo on the side. What station is it... what line? How silly.

none of the other lines in the image appear curved, and the shading changes on the bottom of the sign along with the curve (on the right side, anyway). It would have looked better without that, it gives is a cartoonish feel which isn't appropriate here.

Back