News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 686     0 

Star: New Signs for the TTC

Oops I meant MBTA....

Yeah you're right about the T, it all uses the same logo. But in London the logo changes and it's very clear what the signs that say Underground mean. Just like the TTC shield with the bar that says Subway.

New Signs for TTC

Personally, I prefer the existing pylon which has a modern, consistent look to it.
It doesn't seem that different from the proposed signage. If I were ,amaging this program, I woudn't make any changes at all. Besides, there are more important areas of expenditure like improving safety.

Hacik Istanbul

Only way to be sure would be to survey who prefers which colour scheme and their age. I'm in my 20s and I find the 60s era colour scheme to be rather off-putting.

I can understand how one can not identify with red-and-cream from never really having experienced it at first hand, except through the strained artifice of "restored" PCC tour cars. But unless it's a matter of said strained artifice jaundicing one's POV (and I can empathize), an outright judgment of "rather off-putting" is something I'd identify more with the kinds of idjit mentalities that find anything from the 50s Don Mills aesthetic to the 60s Riverdale half-round aesthetic to the 70s Zeidler Eaton Centre aesthetic "dated".

Besides, Hamilton's hardly worse off for having maintained its rather retro Hamilton Street Railway name and shield.

If anything, I find the red-and-white TTC livery of now more "off-putting", i.e. symptomatic of Toto'n'Christopher Cross-era civic blandening...

Having grown up in Hamilton, with the HSR logo Shield, I have had many people ask me if Hamilton has streetcars, hence the Railway in the name, I've sadly told them , no, Hamilton lost our streetcars MANY years ago....

OK, enough with the reminiscing.....

I came to Toronto almost 2 years ago now, I'm legally blind and I find that the rectangular signs with the white backround with the TTC logo are easier for me to see, (downtown Especially) I DO like the pylon signs, but then I like large print with high contrast.....

I have seen the proposed new design and I HATE it, if it is bright and sunny, I CANT see the bloody thing! it is so small comparatively to the present version that I'm not able to pick it out at a distance....

I like the one at St Patrick Station (north-west corner of Dundas & University) a lot, it is just big enough for me to find it while walking down the street...

I also like the ones at Broadview and Kipling Stations as well...

If anything, I find the red-and-white TTC livery of now more "off-putting", i.e. symptomatic of Toto'n'Christopher Cross-era civic blandening...

Exactly.

I'd love to know why they decided to put black into the livery. The red and cream is a sharp look, and I'm saying that as someone who has never seen it in operation. To me it's another bit of the TTC's iconic look that they decided at one point to ditch, much like their font.

I also think the subway rolling stock should be maroon, like the Gloucesters were. A nice counterpoint to the blue units in Montreal.

I'd love to see a return of the maroon and cream colour scheme to the TTC. It would be very distinctive.

My dislike for the red and cream has nothing do with the PCCs. I just think it looks ugly and dated. That said, I like the HSR logo.

I love the cream and red and would love to see it return!

However I also love silver and red like the subways.

How about using gold and red for the TTC. Gold is similar to the TTC's version of cream (and I've noticed that on depictions of the TTC logo gold is used along with red/maroon), and it looks rather spiffy.

A good example of using gold with red is Kowloon Motor Bus in Hong Kong. Its old (pre-air conditioning) buses used red and cream (much like the TTC did). When air-conditioned buses came into service they were coloured in red, white and black (like today's TTC buses). However, all recent air-conditioned buses are coloured gold (officially the colour is "champagne").

news0408bus1.jpg

KMB buses in older livery

_wsb_522x391_KMB+bus3.jpg

Current KMB livery

Well, a similar alibi led the TTC to trash its 1954 Yonge line Vitrolite aesthetic, you've been warned...

We can always do a poll and we can all vote on our favourite version of the TTC logo. Complete with pictorial examples.

Back