568     0 

Star: Leafs to make a logo change

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

Leaf Nation braces for logo change
Silhouette of venerated maple leaf will be modernized
Dec. 2, 2006. 01:00 AM

When Toronto's new jersey is unveiled next month at the NHL All-Star Game in Dallas, expect to see something that looks essentially the same as the current version, save for one important detail: the maple leaf logo.

The hallowed maple leaf has apparently been altered, having a "different silhouette," according to a team executive.

The change represents a "modernization" of the logo rather than a dramatic redesign.

But just because the jerseys will be new doesn't mean the organization will change its policy about retiring them.

There has been a long-standing debate about the Leafs hoisting the likenesses of their heroes to the rafters, rather than retiring their jerseys and numbers. Former Toronto great Dave Keon — No. 14 — said he won't put a foot back in a Leaf rink unless the team reverses that policy.

But the Leafs won't budge: no retired numbers.

Wonderful idea. Logo changes will encourage fans to buy new clothes and other merchandise. Go ML$E!

^ it worked for Buffalo, and they're using the ugliest logo of all times.

201640220_fce658b5f6_m.jpg

must be an ontario liberal party initiative. :b :lol

it worked for Buffalo, and they're using the ugliest logo of all times.

That shitty logo looks like one of those chicken wing hats you can buy at Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

Mind you, they *are* using their full 70s-early 90s blue uniform as their third jersey, so I guess it's a case of glass half-full...I've noticed as well that Boston uses Bobby Orr-era jerseys as its third sweater.

As for the Leafs, well, the leaf *has* been redesigned several times, so there is precedent. As long as they keep their current third (late 50s-early 60s) jersey, and get rid of that TML swastica-type thing on the shoulders, then I'll be at best indifferent.

Maybe to reflect the fact that they play like a buncha weiners
ml_logo_01.gif

201640220_fce658b5f6_m.jpg

I think I heard somebody referring to the Sabres' new logo as Donald Trump's hair.

:rollin - that's a good one.

That logo is a Canadian institution. Get rid of Ferguson- that'll be a good first step.

If the Leafs hadn't "abstracted" their logo in the 70s, *then* it would be commonly regarded as a Canadian institution. (And it's said abstract version that, presumably, is being targeted here.)

eek! :eek
Toronto_Maple_Leafs_8.png

That one's really crude. I like the second one but the latest one is the nicest in my opinion. Hopefully they improve on it, rather than changing it completely.

They're all blue leafs- some more stylized than others. If they're just changing the shape of the leaf again than who cares- but if they're changing the logo to something else altogether then I'm not too keen.

Remember that the second of the above leafs is the "classic" one used still used for special occasions. Methinks that'll be the basis for any makeover...

Back