News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Stackt Container Market (28 Bathurst St, future park)

Anyone know details about the lease for this property. I think it looks great but this seems like a huge operation for a temporary market. And generally vendors on park propoerty need to go through some sort of public process. Just seems a bit bizarre that all this is happening on public property with no public consultation.

Apparently it is leased until Sept 2020, but I'm not sure if there are any other details available.

stackt, the highly anticipated new community destination, opens in Toronto at Bathurst & Front Streets

Today stackt, an exciting new destination located in the heart of Toronto, opens its doors - or perhaps more fittingly, its containers. The new cultural and community hub will provide a place for Torontonians to gather, connect and discover, encouraging authentic community interaction and satisfying the need for a fulsome public space in the centre of downtown.

Developed from 120 new and reclaimed shipping containers and expertly designed by LGA Architectural Partners, the ever-changing cultural marketplace will house a mixture of local, national, and international brands and will offer Torontonians access to diverse retail offerings, innovative food and beverage experiences such as the Belgian Moon Brewery, a unique programming and events calendar, an engaging arts & cultural offering and opportunities to support social enterprise. In addition to its extensive offering, its unique stacking design will make stackt a recognizable landmark and destination in Toronto.

"The vision for stackt developed while I was living in the area and noticed the lack of an interactive public space, which encourages community connection and engagement," said Matt Rubinoff, Founder of stackt.

"With stackt we are developing a community and cultural hub, which will provide the necessary space for Torontonians to gather, connect and discover. I'm excited to open our doors and share with Torontonians all stackt has to offer."

Market
With 30+ containers dedicated to retail and services, the stackt marketplace will provide Torontonians access to a unique variety of brands, from fashion to prepared meals, donuts to home audio, alongside services, studios and startups. Uniquely, stackt offers a range of lease timings from two days to 18 months, meaning that the marketplace will constantly feature new experiences for the public to enjoy.

Retail and service partners, such as BMO and Dresden, an Australian optical retailer, have helped bring the marketplace offering to life and are just a sample of the brands that will be available at stackt from opening day.

"One of our focuses at BMO is looking for ways to continually deliver great experiences for our customers," said Roy Stanjevich, Head, North American Physical Channels, BMO Bank of Montreal. "With stackt, we've built a location with customers and for customers which takes another step towards evolving the experience for when they come to see us. Customers can come into our location and have advice-based conversations with our team members about their everyday banking needs – in a relaxed and convenient environment. The location will also be used as a space for learning as we roll out financial education workshops, tailored to all age groups."

"Dresden is all about imagining what's possible with eye wear from the look, to the sustainable materials to the price point. We are excited to be part of stackt because they are similarly reimagining what an urban space can look like and achieve with their modular space, which aligns well with our modular glasses system. We look forward to introducing people to our glasses in such an inspiring new environment," said Bruce Jefferys, Co-Founder of Dresden.

Taste & Thirst
Another exciting partner involved in the project is Belgian Moon, who will run the first-of-its-kind mobile brewery at stackt. Equipped with the highest brewing technology, the Belgian Moon brew team will brew fresh and directly onsite, leveraging this unique opportunity to produce small batches of popular variants available in the U.S., such as Mango Wheat, and to test new, seasonal recipes with trend and community influence.

"We're eagerly awaiting the moment we can host the Toronto community for a freshly brewed pint from this first-of-its-kind shipping container brewery," said Bill York, Commercial Director, Belgian Moon (Six Pints Specialty Brewing). "Being artfully crafted is at the heart of how we brew, and we are excited to be co-creating arts and culture programming to enjoy throughout the seasons in the Belgian Moon Brewery @stackt."

Beyond housing the first-of-its-kind mobile brewery, the F&B programming at stackt will work with chefs and vendors to create seasonal food experiences. In line with the ever-changing experience, stackt will offer, short term chef and food vendor residencies which will ensure that visitors to stackt continue to have a unique and authentic experience each time they walk through the gates.

"Our food & beverage program represents the best and brightest in today's culinary world, offering a unique opportunity to both chefs and patrons to experiment with food through a series of short-term chef residency opportunities," says Michael Sullivan, Head of Food & Beverage at stackt.

Inspire
In addition to the exciting retail and F&B offering, stackt will celebrate local contemporary culture, art, and community connection. Drawing from a deep creative resource in Toronto and Canada, the program will unveil art interventions, cultural showcases and authentic community engagement.

"The aim of the arts & cultural programming at stackt is to unlock the potential for new urban space as a hub of artistic expression, social exchange and muse for positive change," says Jacquelyn West, Arts & Community Lead at stackt.

For more information on the vendors and the exciting line up of programming and events at stackt please visit stacktmarket.com.

stackt is open Monday to Saturday from 10AM to 7PM and Sunday from 11AM to 6PM with the Belgian Moon Brewery open Sunday to Wednesday from 11AM to 11PM and Thursday to Saturday from 11AM to 12AM.

Made a quick visit yesterday afternoon. Overall pretty happy with how it's coming together! Also provides some nice views of Minto across the street.

Some areas are looking a bit... barren (that may be intentional?). Should improve once all the businesses/programs are in place.

Although I can understand why - bit sad that they chose to go with artificial turf.

IMG_20190410_170908.jpg

IMG_20190410_173027.jpg

IMG_20190410_171309.jpg

IMG_20190410_173230.jpg

IMG_20190410_171931.jpg
IMG_20190410_171642.jpg
IMG_20190410_171556.jpg
IMG_20190410_171532.jpg
IMG_20190410_173133.jpg

I have lost 99% of my interest in this since it went in as monochromatic black. When I think shipping containers, I think randomized stacks of colours and logos from around the world. This is tamed in the worst way, and while I would wander in to check it out if I were down there, I wouldn't make a special visit just to see it now.

I'm sure it'll look much much better once it's full of people and the weather warms up, but I do wish they'd gone with a variety of colours for the shipping containers instead of all black.
I have lost 99% of my interest in this since it went in as monochromatic black. When I think shipping containers, I think randomized stacks of colours and logos from around the world. This is tamed in the worst way, and while I would wander in to check it out if I were down there, I wouldn't make a special visit just to see it now.

Relax guys.

The containers are all jet-black because they are supposed to become artists canvasses.

Shouldn't the thread title be updated?

BuildToronto no longer have purview over this site as the declaration of surplus has been rescinded and the site is back in city hands. The development application from years ago with Montgomery Sisam as architect is long-dead. The sites zoning and official plan policies has been recently amended (along with an awaiting appeal of the secondary plan) to convert this to a park space.

The only activity that this site has (at least for the duration of the 30-month lease and any extensions there-after) is the Stackt Container Market.

How is Shopify not all over this? They should have sponsored the hell out of this thing.
A downtown pop-up market right in their neighbourhood (even though HQ is in Ottawa), populated largely by smaller retailers aimed at the 18-35 demographic, and the place is obviously all about social media exposure.
Big missed opportunity for our top Canadian tech firm of the future of retail to get behind their own bread and butter type of customers.

Shopify will be moving in down the street - they are taking over 430,000sf to be the anchor tenant in The Well office tower

Back