News   Mar 28, 2024
 981     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 552     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 844     0 

Stackt Container Market (28 Bathurst St, future park)

Entrance is stacking up!

IMG_20181112_122445.jpg

IMG_20181112_122426.jpg

IMG_20181112_122336.jpg

IMG_20181112_121352.jpg

IMG_20181112_121310.jpg

IMG_20181112_121205.jpg

IMG_20181112_121151.jpg

This looks like it could be decent. We could get some unique and interesting retail here (and wasn't someone complaining a page or two back about the fact there will be electricity and running water. The horror!!! ;) I am not sure how any business or food stall could effectively run without either of those two. Too much complaining.)

I have to say, I'm quite surprised at how good this is turning out. I think it should be permanent. I'm glad the city was able to reserve the property for public space rather than sell it off to developers for a condo but there's no reason this needs to become another park. On the opposite side of the street, there'll be the massive Garrison Creek Park and of course, there's Fort York and the Bentway here too. This is also the site of the future RailDeck Park which is slated to become our signature downtown park. I get the need for greenspace downtown but this is not it.

urbantoronto-8838-30046.jpg

I have to say, I'm quite surprised at how good this is turning out. I think it should be permanent. I'm glad the city was able to reserve the property for public space rather than sell it off to developers for a condo but there's no reason this needs to become another park. On the opposite side of the street, there'll be the massive Garrison Creek Park and of course, there's Fort York and the Bentway here too. This is also the site of the future RailDeck Park which is slated to become our signature downtown park. I get the need for greenspace downtown but this is not it.

Completely agree. I've been watching this be built with melancholy knowing this temporary space which will likely be interesting and could grow and have adaptive uses over time is born just to quickly die so the city can turn it into a park. Park space is great and I wish we had far more, but I just don't find Toronto parks to be generally very.......... good. I have visions of a windswept patch of grass — scorched in the summer, desolate in the winter — with some chained-together giant garbage and recycling bins in the middle. But even assuming the city builds an above average pretty nice park here, this type of small-scale urban form is vital and severely lacking and threatened in the city — possibly even more so than park space.

I guess I'll focus on embracing the ephemerality of existence.

Last edited:

Back