Toronto St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower & Emergency Department | ?m | 17s | St. Michael's | NORR

what? There is that massive hospital on Wilson that is just finishing up right now..

Now of course if you think the city ends at Bloor street, Bridgepoint is the only major hospital..

what? There is that massive hospital on Wilson that is just finishing up right now..

Now of course if you think the city ends at Bloor street, Bridgepoint is the only major hospital..

I live north of Bloor St, and I never said Bridgepoint is the only major hospital. I've seen the one on Wilson, and I don't think it looks nearly as attractive as Bridgepoint.

P1420030.jpg

image by i42

Attachments

• P1420030.jpg
    P1420030.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 945
Personally, I find the Shuter Wing and the demolished Women College hospital just old. I wouldn't call them beautiful or refer to them as historical in the need for preservation sense. The new Womens College Hospital is hardly noteworthy either but, at least it offer state of the art space which for a hospital is a pretty high priority. Who knows what will become of the new Shuter wing once fully build out. The General Hospital wing replaced by the Clinical Services Building is somewhat unfortunate though.

Personally, I find the Shuter Wing and the demolished Women College hospital just old. I wouldn't call them beautiful or refer to them as historical in the need for preservation sense. The new Womens College Hospital is hardly noteworthy either but, at least it offer state of the art space which for a hospital is a pretty high priority. Who knows what will become of the new Shuter wing once fully build out. The General Hospital wing replaced by the Clinical Services Building is somewhat unfortunate though.

The TGH interior is far better than it's predecessor - ditto for WCH. The magic happens inside, and the design is driven by function. Flexible modular (read boxy) spaces are important. I suspect Bridgepoint was well designed because it's a rehab/long term care site, and they wanted people to see the outdoors and experience beauty.

The TGH interior is far better than it's predecessor - ditto for WCH. The magic happens inside, and the design is driven by function. Flexible modular (read boxy) spaces are important. I suspect Bridgepoint was well designed because it's a rehab/long term care site, and they wanted people to see the outdoors and experience beauty.

Though I think TGH as it currently stands is still a fairly messy taken as a whole - that's a problem with continually adding pieces (from vastly different eras) instead of wholesale redevelopment like Bridgepoint, WCH or HRH. Honestly UHN need to pay more attention to how to improve the experience of patients and their families.

Having said that, some of the hospitals in the burbs are worse.

AoD

Last edited:
Just announced:

Contract awarded for St. Michael's Hospital redevelopment project
TORONTO, Jan. 28, 2015 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario and St. Michael's Hospital announced today that Bondfield Construction has signed a fixed-price contract to design, build and finance the hospital's expansion and renovation project. Today's announcement signifies that all contractual steps have been completed and Bondfield Construction will begin to mobilize on site immediately.

Once completed, the project will include the construction of a new 17-storey patient care tower at the corner of Queen and Victoria Streets, and the renovation of approximately 150,000 square feet of existing space. The new Peter Gilgan Patient Care Tower wing has been specifically designed to care for critically ill patients and with the renovations will provide a larger, more modern space, equipped to manage the hospital's current patient care volumes. The new space will include:

five new purpose-built, state-of-the-art operating rooms designed to incorporate medical imaging equipment such as MRIs, CT scanners and X-rays
enlarged, state-of-the-art facilities for orthopedic surgery, oncology, coronary care and respirology
expansion of the current Emergency Department
The St. Michael's Hospital redevelopment project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process and Bondfield Construction submitted the proposal which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.

At the peak of construction there will be approximately 400 workers on site. Bondfield Construction estimates that approximately 95 per cent of the labour for the St. Michael's Hospital redevelopment project will come from the Greater Toronto area.

The contract commits Bondfield Construction to design, build and finance the St. Michael's Hospital expansion and redevelopment project for $301 million, which will be paid out at substantial completion. The contract guarantees a fixed price and a fixed delivery date for the expansion and redevelopment of the hospital.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1W8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 113674 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 9, 2015

Project: Hospital Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct a 17 storey tower addition to St Michael's Hospital (corner of Queen St and Victoria St)

Yes, I forgot to post this here. Last Friday they closed off the parking lot that was there, and there is now fencing up. They are cleaning up the lot and getting ready for construction it seems.

Release from St. Mike's

http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/media/detail.php?source=hospital_news/2015/20150128a_hn

Bondfield Construction was one of three companies shortlisted for the construction and renovation project known as St. Michael’s 3.0. It is the construction part of St. Michael’s Partnership, which includes NORR Ltd. with Farrow Partnership, and Rocklyn Capital Inc.

Bondfield has signed a contract to design, build and finance the St. Michael’s redevelopment project for $301 million, which will be paid out at substantial completion. The contract guarantees a fixed price and fixed delivery date.

Guess this isn't DSAI anymore.

AoD

Didn't Farrow bite the dust last summer?

DSAI is doing the design compliance on this, so NORR and Farrow (that's a current press release, so it's gotta be somewhat up-to-date, doesn't it?, but then, check out their website, and one does wonder…) are building to their concept design. It's the way that Bridgepoint was constructed too. There are at least 4 architects credited on that one.

Last edited:

Back