1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

St Lawrence Market

Here is the actual schedule:
View attachment 382535

There is also work on Church from King to Front and some work on Front Street at the Flat Iron and at the Front/Wellington/Church intersection.

Back on track again! Any bets it will done this time / this year?
I’m assuming the Bay and Wellington intersection shut down this Sunday or the rain/snow date next Sunday is related work too

9C9FF5B4-2858-49EB-A61E-F67AB618FEAA.jpeg

I’m assuming the Bay and Wellington intersection shut down this Sunday or the rain/snow date next Sunday is related work too

View attachment 384819

Ending August 31... but which year?

View attachment 384819
The Bay/Wellington work is NOT to do with this project, it runs east from Yonge only. As the project has been fraught with problems (and, I suspect incompetence) I am not holding my breath that they will not find something underground that is a surprise again but .....

The Bay/Wellington work is NOT to do with this project, it runs east from Yonge only. As the project has been fraught with problems (and, I suspect incompetence) I am not holding my breath that they will not find something underground that is a surprise again but .....

West?

Noticed today that Starbucks at Front St and Berkeley is closed for renovations. I've never been inside but it looked pretty new from the outside.
It's a bit over four years old. I know it was open in January 2018, but am not sure how long before that. It was always quite busy. If anything, it would help most to move the door to another spot rather than the very middle of the store so there can be more of a cohesive seating area without the heavy to-go traffic tromping through.

Noticed today that Starbucks at Front St and Berkeley is closed for renovations. I've never been inside but it looked pretty new from the outside.
Yes, this renovation surprised me too, for the same reason. But they're definitely doing reno work inside the space. This also made me realize how few Starbucks there are in the area now, with the closings of the ones next to the South Market and the one at King and Sherbourne. I support the indie coffe shops myself, but Starbucks are better for the liveliness of the neighbourhood than vacant storefronts or cannabis joints, in my opinion.

but Starbucks are better for the liveliness of the neighbourhood than vacant storefronts or cannabis joints, in my opinion.

Loved that line!

Sums up the value of Starbucks nicely.

Sure, they don't have good coffee, good ambiance or good pastries/food. But they're better than vacant storefronts or cannabis stores (at least as Ontario requires them all window wrapped)

Loved that line!

Sums up the value of Starbucks nicely.

Sure, they don't have good coffee, good ambiance or good pastries/food. But they're better than vacant storefronts or cannabis stores (at least as Ontario requires them all window wrapped)
I have been looking into why the cannabis stores almost all have window wraps and it is NOT essential and actually imposed by the Feds. I heard this last week from Health Canada who administer the (Federal) Cannabis Act:

"Please allow us to take this opportunity to outline some information that may be of interest to you.

Through the Cannabis Act and its regulations, the Government of Canada is working to better protect the health and safety of Canadians, keep cannabis out of the hands of youth, and keep profits from criminals and organized crime. To achieve these objectives, the Act includes provisions to restrict youth access to cannabis, and to strictly control possession, production, distribution and sale of cannabis in Canada including the advertising and promotion of cannabis.

The Cannabis Act defines promote as:
promote, in respect of a thing or service, means to make, for the purpose of selling the thing or service, a representation — other than a representation on a package or label — about the thing or service by any means, whether directly or indirectly, that is likely to influence and shape attitudes, beliefs and behaviours about the thing or service. (promotion)

Pursuant to section 29 of the Cannabis Act, unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that is authorized to sell cannabis to display it, or any package or label of cannabis, in a manner that may result in the cannabis, package or label being seen by a young person.

In addition, section 30 of the Cannabis Act states that unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that sells a cannabis accessory to display it, or any package or label of a cannabis accessory, in a manner that may result in the cannabis accessory, package or label being seen by a young person.

Please note, the Cannabis Act is not prescriptive of the method to comply with sections 29 and 30. The method used to meet these requirements is a business decision by the regulated party.

The federal government’s approach is centered on protecting youth from known health risks of cannabis use, and working to keep those under the age of majority from accessing it. The specific provisions in the Cannabis Act that are designed to help keep cannabis and its products out of the hands of children include:

• Prohibiting the provision or sale of cannabis to youth under the age of 18 (some provinces and territories have established a higher age limit);

• Creating a new offence for selling or giving to or using a minor to commit an offence relating to the distribution, sale, import, export, or production of cannabis;

• Prohibiting the sale, packaging, and labelling of cannabis products that are considered appealing to youth;

• Preventing youth from being persuaded to use cannabis products by establishing many of the same advertising restrictions that exist for tobacco products;

• Prohibiting the sale of cannabis through a self-service display or vending machine; and

• Requiring childproof packaging, a universal THC symbol, and health warning messages."

Of course, I disagree with the idea that being able to see cannabis (or tobacco) is going to encourage demand from 'vulnerable people' (and if it does, why can alcohol be on open shelves in areas with large windows?) but stores COULD arrange their premises to have open windows while still hiding the merchandise! Having store windows wrapped is NOT good for the 'pedestrian environment" and removes eyes from the street and, it seems to me, makes the stores themselves less safe as passers-by cannot see what's happening inside.

There is now a separate thread for the new Library - good idea!

Though some of the additional cost of the Wellington Street project is caused by additions to scope, the cost increase due to the postponement of last year is high!

IE28.4
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Amendments to Purchase Order Numbers 6051690 and 6037171 for the Reconstruction of Toronto Transit Commission Track Allowance, Street Lighting Installation and Landscaping Work on Wellington Street East
Origin
(March 15, 2022) Report from the Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering and Construction Services, the General Manager, Transportation Services, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management​
Recommendations
The Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering and Construction Services, the General Manager, Transportation Services, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management, recommend that:

1. The Infrastructure and Environment Committee, in accordance with Section 71-11.1.C of the City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 71 (Financial Control), grant authority to:

a. Amend Purchase Order Number 6051690 with Sanscon Construction Limited, for the reconstruction of Toronto Transit Commission track allowance, street lighting installation and landscaping work on Wellington Street between Yonge Street and Church Street, and on Church Street between Front Street and King Street, in the amount of $4,899,526 net of all taxes and charges ($4,985,758 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries), revising the current purchase order value from $8,300,861 ($8,446,956 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries) to $13,200,387 net of taxes and charges ($13,432,714 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).

b. Amend Purchase Order Number 6037171 with Victor Ford and Associates Incorporated, for the provision of additional design support services related to resumption of construction on Wellington Street between Yonge Street and Church Street, and on Church Street between Front Street and King Street in the amount of $338,936 net of all taxes and charges ($344,901.27 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries), revising the current purchase order value from $338,720.00 to $677,656.00 net of taxes and charges ($689,583 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).​
Summary
The purpose of this report is to request authority to amend Purchase Orders to Sanscon Construction Limited and Victor Ford and Associates Incorporated, respectively, in respect to the reconstruction of Toronto Transit Committee track allowance, road reconstruction, street lighting installation and landscape work on Wellington Street East between Yonge Street and Church Street, and on Church Street between Front Street and King Street.

The total value of the amendment being requested to Purchase Order Number 6051690, issued to Sanscon Construction Limited, for the construction of the above referenced works through Contract Number 20ECS-TI-20SP (Request for Tender Ariba Document Number 2592857459) is $4,899,526 net of all taxes and charges ($4,985,758 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries). Approval of this amendment revises the current purchase order value from $8,300,861 ($8,446,956 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries) to $13,200,387 net of taxes and charges ($13,432,714 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).

The total value of the amendment being requested to Purchase Order Number 6037171, issued to Victor Ford and Associates Incorporated, as a result of Request for Proposal 9118-13-5012, for additional design support services is $338,936 net of all taxes and charges ($344,901 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries), revising the current purchase order value from $338,720 to $677,656 net of taxes and charges ($689,583 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).

The overall project includes state-of-good-repair improvements and incorporates Vision Zero, Complete Streets, and Green Streets principles with the following scope:

- Public realm improvements which include wider boulevard areas and pedestrian
clearways, street trees, space for patios and bike parking;

- Road safety improvements including traffic signal improvements;

- State-of-good-repair road reconstruction;

- State-of-good-repair removal / replacement of Toronto Transit Commission streetcar tracks;

- Upgrading of Toronto Hydro and telecom infrastructure.​

Back