News   Mar 28, 2024
 131     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 188     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 252     0 

St Lawrence Market

Latest date for completion of external heritage lighting of South Market is 'early September". Apparently they need to do something with the sign over Front Street so it gets lit properly.

UPDATE: July 15. Apparently (though it's a replacement sign), they needed a new sign permit and the application is posted (to August 9). The remaining heritage lighting is all set to be installed once the new sign is up, or so I am told.

Last edited:
It's going to be True True diner in collaboration with Suzanne Barr, a well-known and well-liked chef formerly of Saturday Dinette.

There's more info on their website https://truetruediner.com/ and Barr has her own website also at https://www.suzannebarrfood.com/. We watched the documentary that is mentioned on there and it was very good. I'm looking forward to having a chance to try her food in our neighbourhood.

True True still has the signs in the window saying "opening spring 2019." Maybe they meant Spring 2020?
It was already a restaurant space before so there shouldn't be much renovation work to be done here. If they are only retooling the menu I am not certain why that would require a shutdown for three months (especially peak summer months).

Tacorito does look like it's nearly ready to open. Lots of bustling activity on the weekend of people bringing furniture and stuff in the front door.

Last edited:
Vagabondo on Wellington is closing in the next week or so - they could not agree on new lease. They 'may move to near Sky Dome". Not the best restaurant but it was convenient and well priced.

True True still has the signs in the window saying "opening spring 2019." Maybe they meant Spring 2020?
It was already a restaurant space before so there shouldn't be much renovation work to be done here. If they are only retooling the menu I am not certain why that would require a shutdown for three months (especially peak summer months).

Suzanne has probably been busy developing the menu and training staff at the huge Avling Brewery in Leslieville, which is finally opening.

Last edited:
This is my favourite neighbourhood in Toronto..Close to Union Station, the Gardiner, the lake, public realm is way above Toronto standards, also very clean..

I just noticed that the Old Stonehenge website is showing that 197 King Street East will be a Sonder "hotel". I put hotel in quotes, because Sonder seems like an interesting company - a mix of AirBnB and a traditional hotel.

True True still has the sign "re-opening Spring 2019," though their website now simply says "re-opening 2019"
There appears to finally be effort to lease the ugly boarded-up ex-Starbucks at King and George. Very large signs from CBRE are plastering the windows with leasing contacts.
The windows of Italinteriors beside the Globe and Mail Centre were papered over this week. I guess it's shutting down. Hopefully it's not replaced with another 'three customers per day' luxury furniture retail store.

Last edited:
ItalInteriors papers up the windows whenever they remodel the demo kitchen on the corner. Hopefully that's what's happening

Edit: there's now a note on the door that explains they're renovating the ground level.

Last edited:
Those of you (us) who want 7-day opening..

Event to be held at the following time, date, and location:
Wednesday, 2 October 2019 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
125 The Esplanade
125 The Esplanade
Toronto, ON M5E 1C3
Canada
View Map

Share:

The City of Toronto is reviewing the hours of operation of the St. Lawrence Market South Building with the objective of optimizing the hours. Please join us for a public consultation on the South Market hours to share your opinion. The South Market currently operates Tuesdays through Thursday 8am-6pm, Fridays 8am-7pm, Saturdays 5am-5pm and is closed on Sundays and Mondays.Consultation will include public discussion on hours and presentation of related research.
Share this event on Facebook and Twitter.
We hope you can make it!
Cheers,
St. Lawrence Market

True True Diner has opened! Live story and walkthrough on Suzanne’s Instagram right now:

Motorino Enoteca has opened at Adelaide and Ontario. Obviously a lot of money was dumped in to the design of the space. It's competition for True True for the diners who want an "Instagrammable restaurant experience". Motorino has at other locations set itself up to be a large provider for Uber Eats/Foodora, etc.. I suppose you can't pay the rent in locations in downtown Toronto without doing that now. It will be interesting to see how that impacts service.
"I'm sorry your order took so long. We're really busy tonight."
"But there's no one else here!?"
"Yes, but we've had twenty delivery orders come through in the past 10 minutes. We have to make their food first!"

Last edited:
Crew cleaning up the old Starbucks today.
47775A3F-91E0-40B4-A2A1-3D6A09A291C3.jpeg

Back