Square One Shopping Centre

Well I don't know if it's "flat-out stupid". More parking garages will be needed in the City Centre in any case, if the existing parking lots are to be used for other purposes. And said garages may serve as "park and ride" facilities for the new BRT, "GO Transit style" (sorry Sean :) )

My concern is that this drawing depicts the garage occupying a good deal of the present transit terminal site. Hopefully alternative arrangements will be made, not only to accommodate the present bus terminal operation, but to allow for future expansion.

I was at that Loblaws a few weeks ago and I noticed a No Frills logo on the sign that shows the store hours. I thought was just a mistake or something. It is not surprising since there is already at Heartland but it is inconvenient to get to on foot, plus it has more limited selction of the in-house muffins (no choclate!).

Well I don't know if it's "flat-out stupid". More parking garages will be needed in the City Centre in any case, if the existing parking lots are to be used for other purposes. And said garages may serve as "park and ride" facilities for the new BRT, "GO Transit style" (sorry Sean :) )

Park-and-ride lots are only needed at stations that are not adequately served by transit. If the City Centre needs more parking garages, then beside the transit terminal is last place they should go.

It's on the corner of City Centre Dr and Square One Dr, in the same building as the Boston Pizza and Running Room. The Spence Diamonds in the area is almost enclosed and it looks like the LCBO is starting construction.

I thought it would be in the mall proper... too bad. It's a good place; good bagels; wife always goes to Panera when we visit the kid in Ohio.

I went by the new Panera bread location and looks like it's a couple of weeks away from opening. The hydro is turned on and many of he fixtures and the shelving have been installed.

I assume the LCBO is the large building going up right along Square One Drive. Does anyone know what they've started building in the north end of the lot?

I think the building on Square One Drive is the Spence...it doesn't look like an LCBO (too tall and a tad on the small side). I suspect the LCBO is the building facing Rathburn.

Yeah, Panera would have been much better in the mall proper. Too bad. Most o their stores are in this type of development, but they certainly have a bunch of mall ones too...

I didn't realize there was also a Spence coming until I checked the website. Are their stores normally that size?

I haven't had a close look at the construction closer to Rathburn. I didn't realize the foundation was so large. I suppose one concern will be how quickly the parking lot fills up now that it's being carved back for more shops. While it is in the spirit of what the city eventually wants for the MCC, a store like the LCBO usually depends on plenty of parking close to the entrance.

Count me among those who think that the Panera location might work out well. This allows them to build to the kind of scale that one usually sees in the US and also separates them from the many coffee shops in the mall. I'm sure the Boston Pizza and LCBO on site will draw the type of cliental they expect.

The LCBO will be at the corner of Rathburn, north of Boston Pizza etc.

I am not happy about these freestanding "pads". I hope that not too many more of them will be built. I would think that most or all of these outlets could go in the ground level of new condos (even restaurants can work, with proper design). If you need to drive to an LCBO to pick up a large supply of refreshment, there is one about a kilometre north at Hurontario and Eglinton, with parking. I think that the way this block is shaping up isn't exactly compatible with the type of urban structure / design that the City claims to be wanting now in the City Centre.

I know that the long term plan for Square One is to concentrate as much parking as possible in the new parking garages and to create more islands of retail and other services among the current parking lots. I know that many will not agree with what is happening but it does fit in with what already happened on the north side of Rathburn (Playdium, Chapters, restaurants, etc.)

I wonder if the new LCBO will be a Vintages? If so, that would draw people from further away.

A Vintages would be nice. Considering the density in the are now it's too bad the closest one is a Mavis and Dundas. I'm a little surprised Square One never had an LCBO to begin with.

I never knew about this Panera bread place but from what people say it sounds like a great bakery. I'll be checking it out once its open.

I've been to a couple of them recently, with the most recent being a relatively new one in Watertown, NY. based on the size of the one at Square One, I think it will be fairly similar: Great selection of drinks, pastries and light meals; a decent amount of seating; and free wireless.

Square One did used to have an LCBO...but that is going back some time now...

Anyway, I do believe that the Spence is moving from Eglinton down to here. Parking at that location was always a mess, although it's surprising to see them move so quickly after opening (relatively-speaking).

I don't think parking will be much of an issue...LCBO parking is all of the 5-minute quick-in-and-out nature.

I agree that this type of development is a poor fit for the City Centre. At least in this location...sure it's got nice sidewalks surrounding it, but there aren't any leading to it...

Square One did used to have an LCBO...but that is going back some time now...

Anyway, I do believe that the Spence is moving from Eglinton down to here. Parking at that location was always a mess, although it's surprising to see them move so quickly after opening (relatively-speaking).

I don't think parking will be much of an issue...LCBO parking is all of the 5-minute quick-in-and-out nature.

I agree that this type of development is a poor fit for the City Centre. At least in this location...sure it's got nice sidewalks surrounding it, but there aren't any leading to it...

Wow, how does the largest mall in Ontario lose an LCBO? They are not always the best fits for malls but in Square One's case there was certainly enough residential close by.

I agree about the new development not working well at Square One. It's an awkward location with enough traffic as it is. I thought the Boston Pizza that opened there had an odd location especially considering their rather nice looking patio looks like it has a view of the Square One parking lot.

Back