News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

King West lofts/condos

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apparently many of the more interesting condos & lofts are rising on King West. What other streets border this area? I'd like to do a walking tour of the district. Thanks in advance.

Some of the side streets I've been checking out in King West area are Shaw, Niagara, Portland, Stewart, Charlotte, Brant and Camden. Lot of nice boutique condos and lofts!

"Some of the side streets I've been checking out in King West area are Shaw, Niagara, Portland, Stewart, Charlotte, Brant and Camden. Lot of nice boutique condos and lofts!"

M5Vgirl: thank you for the tip, I had a fine walk. Some day I'm going to catalogue every recently completed and proposed development within this area. I was curious that you included Shaw which I didn't get to. Its sort of stranded between King West and Liberty Village.

Actually, has anyone already created a map with all the proposed & completed projects listed?

You're welcome.

Shaw has DNA Lofts which are really cool and better value compared to the ones I listed on those other streets. Electra is also there (ugly yellow building but units are decent).

I do have a map of every building in that area but it's all plotted out in my head. :) I did extensive research and visited every street before I bought. Feel free to ask if you have questions about that neighbourhood and I'll try to help you out.

Shaw has DNA Lofts which are really cool and better value compared to the ones I listed on those other streets.

DNA is one of the more pricey condo buildings in the area going for $500+/sqft.
Phase I has interesting units with the 'flex walls' etc, but phase II is another cookie cutter building with poorly designed spaces.

Phase I has interesting units with the 'flex walls' etc, but phase II is another cookie cutter building with poorly designed spaces.

Flex walls?

Those units probably have more upgrades/better views/2 baths, etc. because last few months when I was looking at them they were $460-480 sqft. Flex walls are cool!

I looked at all of the developments in King West/Liberty Village in my condo search and there's no comparison between DNA and Electra - and they don't face each other across King West, so I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about. While I do prefer the exterior of Electra, a 750 sq ft unit will yield you less usable space than a 600 sq ft, DNA Phase 1 condo and they're hardly loft-like with much poorer finishes. There's a reason the DNA Phase 1 goes for more than $500sqft (and is now closer to $520-550). The DNA's, for the most part, are well laid out with no wasted space, 9 foot ceilings, and lots of closet space. But, of course, that completely depends on the suite.

I looked at all of the developments in King West/Liberty Village in my condo search and there's no comparison between DNA and Electra - and they don't face each other across King West, so I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about. While I do prefer the exterior of Electra, a 750 sq ft unit will yield you less usable space than a 600 sq ft, DNA Phase 1 condo and they're hardly loft-like with much poorer finishes. There's a reason the DNA Phase 1 goes for more than $500sqft (and is now closer to $520-550). The DNA's, for the most part, are well laid out with no wasted space, 9 foot ceilings, and lots of closet space. But, of course, that completely depends on the suite.

There's two phases, Electra I (at 954 King St West) is the one he's talking about.

Electra II (at 1029 King St West) is the one you're talking about.

I agree with you on the finishes in DNA, generally, it's nicer. But some of the layouts are quite crappy. All the units in Electra are 2 stories, so you'll get 18 ft ceilings (or was it 16.x?). There are some units in DNA that are two stories too (one was available not too long ago).

At the same time, some units in Electra are really nice, depending on how well the owner has renovated.

You're right, I was talking about Electra II. Electra I is much better with the loft like atmosphere actually existing because the entire living room has an 18 foot ceiling. It's also a great looking bldg from the outside. I've visited several of them but I still think that new build lofts (like Electra I and any 2 story lofts at DNA) are just not worth the money. Same with townhomes. They might say 1100 sqft, but after you take out the space for 3 stairways, you're only looking at 8-900 usable.

When prices are mostly determined by square footage, again, you're getting much less than what you pay for. That being said - if you can afford it and/or love the high ceiling and don't mind paying an extra $50 000 for it - then go for it! I would.

Back