Square One Shopping Centre

And the Mississauga-bashing continues... Thank God there's no threads on Eaton Centre or Yorkdale retail otherwise it would be a sign that the apocalypse is surely upon us!

Actually I might have posted in the wrong thread. Either that or a bunch of posts above got moved to a different topic. My reply was in response to a proposed new mall and people saying they looked forward to it.

Just let people know, the cover walkway from the mall to the bus terminal is history and will be remove in the coming weeks.

It been remove to widen the driveway entrance so there will be legal left hand turn, as well right. The sidewalk curve will be on Target land area, about 4 meters from where the current curve is and jog out to where it is now in front of the police station.

The entrance at both ends are being made level to do away with the stair to meet accessibility issues per the ODA standards. There will be 1 stairs next to the wall at each entrance.

Since cars make illegal turns here in the first place, they will have a traffic light to deal with now to make that turn.

Just let people know, the cover walkway from the mall to the bus terminal is history and will be remove in the coming weeks.

It been remove to widen the driveway entrance so there will be legal left hand turn, as well right. The sidewalk curve will be on Target land area, about 4 meters from where the current curve is and jog out to where it is now in front of the police station.

The entrance at both ends are being made level to do away with the stair to meet accessibility issues per the ODA standards. There will be 1 stairs next to the wall at each entrance.

Since cars make illegal turns here in the first place, they will have a traffic light to deal with now to make that turn.

You're referring to the stairs to the Target's entrances?

You say they're getting rid of stairs, but there will be stairs. So I'm a little confused how this will look.

The new stairs maybe at both entrance of Target, beside the existing wall where they were original located before only. They maybe narrow than before. You can see where the stairs where at the west end and look at the current grade. I know they have some large step down landing gravel base of the east entrance and assuming stairs at this time.

Rest of the area is being graded lower as a sloping area to meet the AODA standards for accessibility.
DSC_12124218.JPG

DSC_12124208.JPG

DSC_12124211.JPG

Thanks for the pics drum118. I'm actually glad they're making it a lot more level. I think that's safer for everyone.

Is Target really re-skinning the whole building as shown in the second pic? No wonder they're taking 9 months to renovate the place.. they really are redoing it!

Yes they are and photo 1 to the right wall was done also. The west side is being done also up to the loading bay.

They removed the windows and the floor where the restaurant was by moving the wall inside. They removed the the lower level wall also to match above to the point there is an open space there now.

Thanks for the pics drum118. I'm actually glad they're making it a lot more level. I think that's safer for everyone.

Totally agree with you, but more for accessibility issue.

Lets see what they do for landscaping.

Athletic World is closing down with 20%-50% off sales now.

Could be that Target wants this space for expansion.

They are pouring the sidewalk by the walkway at this time and the rest of the walkway to the west is ready for concrete.

It hard to say at this time if they are planning to add wider stairs where they were before for the east end and didn't look at to west due to the rain on Sat.

Holt Renfrew at Square One?

Supposedly Square One has been gunning for a higher end department store anchor. They missed out on Nordstrom but it now looks as though Holt Renfrew may be opening. Inside sources say the theatre will close (it doesn't make sense to have two in such close proximity) and the section retrofitted into a Holt's. Today Holt Renfrew announced a new concept called HR2, modelled after the Nordstrom Rack that will open in Montreal and an "undisclosed suburban Toronto location." The recent closure of Johnny Rockets in that section would seem to indiciate this could be a definate possibility, although it would be a shame that the mall is only getting a watered-down version of the upmarket department store.

http://www.retail-insider.com/#!/2012/10/holt-renfrew-launches-discount-store.html

I met someone at a UFC party this weekend who works for Oxford, deals with leasing.

Nothing major but he said there were two formal business plans submitted
For the old Johnny rockets location.
1 -Tim hortons- apparently they want to pay less than what they are asking by a "significant" amount in his words, as they feel it's over priced for market/location in mall.
2 - an Asian bistro that serves food on conveyer belt You pay for your plate you pick up.

1 -Tim hortons- apparently they want to pay less than what they are asking by a "significant" amount in his words, as they feel it's over priced for market/location in mall.

To be fair, Tim's is in a really bad location in Square One. It's really out of the way.

Back