Square One Shopping Centre

Cross-posted with the mall thread, since this one falls in both categories.

http://www.mississauga.com/news/business/article/1269268--square-one-to-extend-hours-in-2012

Square One to extend hours in 2012

Square One Shopping Centre is extending its weekend hours.

Beginning Jan. 2, the mall will remain open on Saturdays until 9 p.m. (an additional three hours) and until 7 p.m. on Sundays (another hour). Mall officials said research with shoppers showed they would like the mall to remain open later on weekends.

Yeah, you're right - I had got it mixed up with the old drop-in centre. However, if you look at what the Eaton Centre did with their shuffling of tenants to create a large new space, Oxford might have a similar plan in mind. In my mind, though, the food court should not be the priority -it should be the dead zones of the mall, like the lower Sears corridor and the Goodlife one.

I'm not sure I even understand why there ARE dead zones. It's like all the good stores want to be upstairs and won't locate downstairs because they know it's dead down there.

It's about time! I always found it strange a mall the size of Square One closed early on a Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally - it never made sense to me for them to close at 6. In Ottawa, all the bigger malls open til 9pm in the burbs. Scarborough Town Centre had for a time, but rolled back to 7.

It was probably the suburban mentality?

MCC Whole Foods Coffee Shop along Rathburn. Who needs Queen Street?
20120111020.jpg

20120111009.jpg

The main entrance to Whole foods should have been on Rathburn, but there is no foot traffic on Rathburn. Chicken and egg? At least with the coffee shop if they have a patio, patrons could watch the go karts racing by across the street...

MCC Whole Foods Coffee Shop along Rathburn. Who needs Queen Street?
20120111020.jpg

20120111009.jpg

Ill never understand why these big box store couldnt simply be CONDOS with HUGE retail in the bottom that would fit them. It seems its a huge waste of air space and when we do get condos with retail often its a convienence store.

OMERS is looking for quick investment returns to cover their short fall income return until someone comes along who wants to buy the land for a tower or 2. When they bought this area, they only expected a max of 1% return on the investment. They threw away $25 million changing the construction plan that was underway when they bought the mall to what there now. The rest is bury under the current expansion to the west and was one year late opening caused by these changes.

The city on the other hand allows OMERS and developers run wild and build and what they like with no thought for the future.

The new city policy for this area does start to deal with buildings like this, but the 3 floor limit height and on street parking is the wrong way to go. They still talk the tall towers, but not as many that should go here as well being taller than 40's, since there is no height restriction for this area in the first place.

Since the City is car City and the car people rule the city, going to take major event to get cars out of this core area and put in a real transit system to service the city 100%, not just the core. This also applies to tall buildings.

I see Sony has close their Sq One store and saw no sign they have relocated elsewhere in Sq One. The underwear store by Pearl's Vision has close also, with no new location in the Mall.

Apollon? has a sign up saying 1 month to go with 75% off on items. Not sure if this is a sell promotion, relocation or finally closing down. They have done this a number of times over the years that they ended up relocating to another location.

Zara is open, but was on the lower level to have a look at it.

A few other places under reno.
First time in a month being there on Monday and it was a zoo, with the parking lot overflowing, that people couldn't find a parking spot.

First time in a month being there on Monday and it was a zoo, with the parking lot overflowing, that people couldn't find a parking spot.

It was Family Day and Square One was one of the few malls in the GTA that was open. It's always a zoo on the statutory holidays that it remains open.

The Bluenote, as well a few other stores have closed at Sq One.

Remax is going to open a store in the old Mall Management office area on the west side.

Marlin Travel have relocated to where FedEx was.

The Zeller store at Sq One is only a few months from closing and should opening as a Target by December.

All fixtures, shelving and furniture is for sell and a clearance sale taking place.

Food Port is almost ready to open.

Either Johnny Rocket at Sq One is going to go under renovation or its history.

The place is strip of all tables and chairs as well the hood over the cooking area.

My gut feeling is it is gone as it was never busy in the first place.

Then they could be cutting up the area into 2 different size with a smaller Rocket like Dundas with the other area for X business.

Back