Square One Shopping Centre

Have Mississauga learned nothing from South Common? Their obsession with shopping malls is disturbing.

Sometimes it feels as if all the culture in the city revolves around them, too.

Have Mississauga learned nothing from South Common? Their obsession with shopping malls is disturbing.

Sometimes it feels as if all the culture in the city revolves around them, too.

And the Mississauga-bashing continues... Thank God there's no threads on Eaton Centre or Yorkdale retail otherwise it would be a sign that the apocalypse is surely upon us!

Whatever happened to the food court expansion/renovation? Oxford booted out the church and The Sony Store closed up with the assumption that, that area was going to be converted but here we are towards the end of the year and nada.

Incidentally, Square One is about to embark on a major renovation of the entire mall that will include an expanded food court. Some of the preliminary work has already begun and will quickly accelerate over the next few months, completeing in about a year's time. Can't wait! They're the last major shopping centre in the GTA to invest in themselves in the last few years.

But I feel like they just had a reno! Not a full one, but they did change the ceilings and the flooring in a good portion of the mall.

I wonder if this is why Oxford hasn't updated their leasing plan since February? ...

Incidentally, Square One is about to embark on a major renovation of the entire mall that will include an expanded food court.
When I was a kid living in Meadowvale, Mississauga from 1976 to the early 1980s my family used to shop at Square One. Back then, the mall had a huge, open air courtyard with a waterfall, rubberized floor playground and a second tier walk way around the courtyard. There used to be a really great hobby shop on the second floor that sold AFX and Tyco scalextric.

Here's an image...

Dec27-Mississauga-SquareOneMall.jpg

Part of that mall needs to be torn down and rebuilt in a smaller area with 2/3 floors, as well some green space.

The first area to be done is between Target and Sears, as that is a dead zone.

They should have left the original expansion to west along as that is another dead area now. Not sure if Johnny Rocket's is history, but it's close now.

With the dollar store and furniture vacant now, it will allow relocation of various store to take place to allow construction/expansion in other place.

The last expansion/redo was only a patch work from point of view and a miss opportune to fix a lot of mistakes when the mall was first built. The ceiling on the lower level is too low as well part of the upper one.

The city would like to see this mall cut up with the anchor stores being separate from the main mall to get more streets into this area.

Its time to rethink about moving this mall from what it is today to a 7/24 community to the point you put development above the mall and add more entertainment to it as well other activities that can be used at all hours of the day.

Its also time to put parking underground as well reduce the parking space.

I was in Erin Mills a few days ago and its still a dead mall at busy times and surprise it still a live. Zellers was still open which was a surprise to me. Then its only in a blue moon for me to go there in the first place let alone Sq One these days.

I doubt SQ1 will be cut-up any time soon as they spent 40m renovating it a couple years ago however it will probably be expanded.

Being that I live within walking distant of the mall, I'm in Erin Mills Town Centre all the time and I would not consider it to be a dead mall, not at all. Sunday morning at 11am or Tuesday at 2pm maybe... EMTC is due for a major renovation...

Back