News   Apr 19, 2024
 469     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     2 

Speculating about a new start at 1 Bloor East

i have posted before that I think this is the ideal site for a supertall. However if not a supertall then a european style square, with cafes and space for lounging would be perfect. We have few such spaces in Toronto. I would prefer that to a mid size boxy condo which we could have anywhere/anytime. Perhaps room to design a supertall AND a square? The city should require this of a new development.

I agree, if we can't get a supertall on this property then I'd rather see it used as some sort of public square.

Unfortunately I've got a terrible gut feeling that all we're going to get is an average at best box style condo tower.

Still deep in mourning for 1BE but must snap out of it I suppose.
Sure it was a bit tacky I guess but hey - what a giant it would have been!
Now, I am just terrified that block will end up Toronto-fied - some dreary park or square or the very worst and the most likely another unremarkable building to match the other unremarkable buildings in the vicinity.
Wouldn't another BA Centre look great next to the Hudson's Bay building! 50 stories and no character.
A city of cereal boxes.
Waaah.

If only the site were big enough to build a Time Warner Center (NYC) there!

A square in this area would be a huge waste. This area needs a shining jewel of a building at the corner, not a relatively small (it would be half the size of YDS) square.

Any chance of a supertall-public square hybrid, something like Citigroup Center?

Citigroup(2).jpg

Is that a hybrid? Yikes! I consider that building ugly, and yes I have seen it in person.

I think some people at least spend too much time obsessing over "supertalls". Of course, no one wants to see a squat little building at such a major intersection. Yet I don't really care, personally, if it has 80 storeys or 67. The latter is still pretty darned impressive.

I would be more concerned with details such as how it meets the street, how it is clad, if it could be connected to anything underground, and so on. Also of concern, what it specifically might contain in terms of commercial space (it would still be nice if it somehow ended up including a movie theatre). I will not spend much time worrying if it becomes taller than Aura (or whoever) as that doesn't really mean a heck of a lot to me.

I agree that boxy can be good when done well - Hullmark Centre is a great example - Retail, office residential and public space combined - very well done. However, it would be nice to see some thing more exotic on our most important intersection - other cities have some great land marks - why not here?

3750358755_4483ec0348_b.jpg

I agree with you whole heartedly ... if we get anything remotelessly interesting or close to one of these building designs I would be drooling ~ :eek:

great examples Big Daddy !!

Well, if you get the tenants, hire the architect and raise the funds to build it, you can have something like one of those towers.

How about a lowrise building? aka, a flea market/farmer's market here?

I ws actually thinking something similar a few days ago. St. Lawrence is kind of far and it's a dense enough area. St. James' Market perhaps? I think I would rather see it in MLG though. There's no reason a farmer's/flea market building would have to be lowrise though - people live in condos above grocery stores, why not a farmer's market?

I'd rather see some sort of cultural institution on this site, though I wouldn't be opposed to a condo/hotel/office tower above it (and for that matter, retail below it).

Or better, a big box LCBO;)

I would have no objection to any big box LCBOs at this location, as long as it is 80s ... LOL that would certainly be a big LCBO alright, heck they might as well make this their 'flagship store' :D

Back