Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

still find it hard imagining the intersection as a fully developed downtown area. i mean, to me a dense, north american downtown intersection has much older buildings with architecture of that era, but here, we get all sorts of contemporary glass towers on all 4 corners. bizarre.
probably cause this area is still separated from the "core", which takes away from the feel. and the gardiner to the south.

Upon reflection, though, Toronto might have its four-corner "few short years" precedents--I'm sure it must have been within a decade that Bay + Bloor was redeveloped, for example. (Even if other than Manulife, it was all little more than standard office-tower spec stuff--but, still.)

There is also the majority of the MINT cluster around King & Bay, which sprung up in the years 1967-1976, and is even taller than the Southcore projects will be:

1967 TD Tower (223m)
1969 Royal Trust Tower @ TD Centre (183m)
1972 Commerce Court West (239m)
1975 First Canadian Place (298m)
1976 Royal Bank Plaza South (180m)

The building is not done

If you look at the renderings on the SFC page you will see the building is not complete (bottom left of the media page has all the renderings)

http://www.southcore.ca/

The south side of the building has a strip running vertical where the hoist is right now. That will be the edge of the vertical overlay. Caltrane's photo in post 925 shows it nicely.

JG

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure, but it appears as though they are building an additional structure on top which would make the top appear more like the original renderings (and hiding the mechanical box on top). Maybe someone can get a picture.

9 January 2011: Basically done, and kinda dull looking from here.

004hz.jpg

Green roof

I am not 100% sure, but it appears as though they are building an additional structure on top which would make the top appear more like the original renderings (and hiding the mechanical box on top). Maybe someone can get a picture.

The big box on top of the building will have a green roof covering it. There is also supposed to be the "mast" (for lack of a better word) on the south-east corner. That mast will supposedly go to about the same height as the Telus Tower across the street.
Toronto-20110107-00044.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto-20110107-00044.jpg
    Toronto-20110107-00044.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 329
Space, I LOVE that vantage point! A+. Never seen one quite like it before. Where was it taken from exactly?

I know it's been said by others, and will probably be said again, but it's too bad the corner element didn't happen.

Back