Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

The building could be turning out exactly as it should as it's hardly out of the realm of possiblities the artist got a little pro active. You would think the first thing to be cut in a cost saving venture wouldn't be a shade of colour but the frit finish.

The building could be turning out exactly as it should as it's hardly out of the realm of possiblities the artist got a little pro active. You would think the first thing to be cut in a cost saving venture wouldn't be a shade of colour but the frit finish.

Absolutely. I find it odd when forumers explode over the lack of continuity between the finished project and a render. Under every render released by a development company, there reads a disclaimer that sounds something like this: "Rendering is the artist's interpretation." It is the artist's very job to make the most banal components of a building seem extraordinary; to ignore obvious shortcomings in selected building materials.

Last time I checked, Casa didn't shimmer like its rendering. Nor did it look blue at night time.

casa.jpg

Last edited:
oohh casa :( imo one of the greatest condo dissapointments ever

I think we have some unrealistic expectations or renders here...

I believe casa was a great addition to the Yonge Bloor skyline & neighbourhood.

With that being said - Could Southcore not use a bit more diversity in the make up of its buildings....

Whether or not the building turns out like the rendering is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is the finished product itself, and the fact is that in this situation, the finished product is achingly bland, and that, in and of itself, is a disappointment.

I agree that renders are usually misleading but thought Casa turned out really well, and for me it's the highlight of that Bloor-Yonge cluster. Actually I even prefer it to X which I think is also a great looking building. Now crystal Blu- that's another story...:(

Whether or not the building turns out like the rendering is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is the finished product itself, and the fact is that in this situation, the finished product is achingly bland, and that, in and of itself, is a disappointment.

That's your opinion. I find it a decent addition eventhough I share the sentiments that maybe there's just a little too much of a good thing going on in that neighbourhood. However, the suggestion to revert to PoMo as some solution is shockingly bad and an utter disappiontment to this forum. (not specifically directed at you)

PoMo is too easily discredited, like Modernism before it. I'm sure it'll get its due in another ten years or so. Just thought I'd point out the group think.

Last edited:
PoMo is too easily discredited, like Modernism before it. I'm sure it'll get its due in another ten years or so. Just thought I'd point out the group think.

Yup, and it's buildings like this one that will push people toward PoMo nostalgia.

I mean look at this thing:

001xaq.jpg

It is literally faceless; it has no face. There's nothing to see there but the reflection of financial district skyscrapers of a more expressive era

Now I know how the birds feel when they crash into buildigs that they never saw coming.

Last edited:
It looks like a big sheet of jade. The glass will ultimately be what catches people's eyes for this particular building.

It's regrettable the rest of the building is so bland, though. It's not even the era- when you see buildings like the Shard, the Heron Tower or St. Mary's Axe going up in London, you have to but wonder if this is not but a product of Toronto's mentality.

Last edited:
It looks like a big sheet of jade. The glass will ultimately be what catches people's eyes for this particular building.

It's regrettable the rest of the building is so bland, though. It's not even the era- when you see buildings like the Shard, the Heron Tower or St. Mary's Axe going up in London, you have to but wonder if this is not but a product of Toronto's mentality.

" ...you have to wonder if this is not but a product of Toronto's mentality ". I don't have to wonder anything of this sort at all. As much as we are underwhelmed by this sort of bland thing, there are numerous examples in this city of projects any city in Canada, or North America for that matter, would be proud to have. This opinion has been expressed many times on UT threads, but it appears old cliches die hard.

Of course, any city would love to have multiple office towers going up at once. But you have to but wonder if something better could have been built here.

Of course, any city would love to have multiple office towers going up at once. But you have to but wonder if something better could have been built here.

I was in Toronto yesterday and had a walk through this Southcore place . Looking east from Rogers toward the ACC I imagined what a stunning cityscape this will be once the half dozen or so more towers take their place. Oh yes, and when a Toronto sports team wins a championship, (God love us, it's gotta happen sometime ), this place is will simply transcend some of it's mediocre buildings.

Back