Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

Then they usually say....but no one uses our beaches because the water is dirty. I am not sure how much dirtier our water is than the water in Chicago? !

Well, in theory. Lake Ontario is the dirtiest of all the great lakes because all the waste from the other lakes flows into lake ontario as part of nature... thats why we have the dirtiest lake, we get all the garbage from the other lakes before it goes through the St.Lawrence...

thats why the other lakes generally "look" cleaner than ours... but the lakes are all definitely swimmable (just not after a rainstorm!)

My buddy works in the same building as this real estate guy, apparently there might be on office tower going up here, 18 york...

Sorry I can't provide any definite sources, jus hear say.. anyone see anything?

Well, in theory. Lake Ontario is the dirtiest of all the great lakes because all the waste from the other lakes flows into lake ontario as part of nature... thats why we have the dirtiest lake, we get all the garbage from the other lakes before it goes through the St.Lawrence...

thats why the other lakes generally "look" cleaner than ours... but the lakes are all definitely swimmable (just not after a rainstorm!)

Lake Erie is and has always been the 'dirtiest' of the Great Lakes. Anyone who has actually seen all the lakes' shores would know this.

My buddy works in the same building as this real estate guy, apparently there might be on office tower going up here, 18 york...

Sorry I can't provide any definite sources, jus hear say.. anyone see anything?

We all get these attempts at humour.

I realize most people have one-track minds and short attention spans, but the current conversation was on track to how office buildings like 18 York affect Toronto's waterfront. I also realize it's cumbersome to actually read all the posts and follow a thread from day to day, so this must be frustrating to some people because their minds can't make correlations in tangent conversations, unless the main subject is repeated ad nauseum. So, for your benfit as well as those like you...

4311309289_1e06efaed1_o.jpg

When I ask people they usually are thinking of the stretch of Lakeshore in Chicago north of downtown. The open nature of the waterfront there allows you to see the water and the people on the beach with a view unobstructed by buildings. Then those people compare that to standing at, say, Yonge and Lakeshore here.....not realizing that they are essentially staning at the equivalent of Ohio and Columbus...where you also can't see a lake! If you go a similar distance east or west of Yonge you will find open stretches of waterfront with beaches as well.

[...]

The point is, I don't think our waterfront is all that different from Chicago's....I do know that our perception of our waterfront is much different than their perception of their's....and that might be a harder issue to overcome in the long run!

Hmmmm, I'm not sure your points of comparison are apples to apples. An open stretch of shoreline in the Beaches or Etobicoke is not the same as the open stretch of shoreline north of downtown in Chicago...

Also, isn't it more than just the actual shoreline/water? Chicago's waterfront is so 'spectacular' - and yes I will use the word - because of the dramatic encounter of lake and city, and all those beautiful buildings and developments that line it. In other words, Central Park is just another park, for all intents and purposes, without the gorgeous urban buildings that define it around the perimeter and the iconic infrastructure within it.

Comments like "The point is, I don't think our waterfront is all that different from Chicago's" reminds me that we have to be careful of deconstructing these things a little too enthusiastically. I'm not looking to bash Toronto, but just keeping it real by saying that there is really very little to compare them... yet. There are some definite improvements happening in Toronto in the meantime but as I've said before Toronto is NOT Chicago. City Place park is not Millenium Park; Canada Square will not be Navy Pier; the Toronto Waterfront will not be like Chicago's. Why would we expect otherwise??

Comparisons to Chicago

While it's great to make comparisons with other cities, particularly Chicago, Torontonians seem to overlook all the benefits they have over Chicago. Both cities have fantastic skylines unique unto themselves, however Chicago doesn't have a beautiful harbour sheltered by a series of islands that make up a substantial city park. I think Chicagoans would be quite envious of taking a short boat/ferry ride and looking at their skyline from a VERY substantial park with all sorts of amenities.

I realize this is off topic but Torontonians need to realize what they have in addition to what they....don't have.

Perhaps the misapprehension that we have so little while other cities are so much better is a fundamental expression of a certain aspect of Torontonianism? I think the node around York and Bremner that's the subject of several threads is a fine example of our new tall building neighbourhoods - it extends the city south of Front in consort with City Place and points west and validates the promise of pioneering ventures like Harbour Square and 1 Yonge - but many here probably don't see it that way.

While it's great to make comparisons with other cities, particularly Chicago, Torontonians seem to overlook all the benefits they have over Chicago. Both cities have fantastic skylines unique unto themselves, however Chicago doesn't have a beautiful harbour sheltered by a series of islands that make up a substantial city park. I think Chicagoans would be quite envious of taking a short boat/ferry ride and looking at their skyline from a VERY substantial park with all sorts of amenities.

I realize this is off topic but Torontonians need to realize what they have in addition to what they....don't have.
Good point.
When I think of comparisons I always think of the horrible poverty stricken 'hoods, the much higher crime rate and the history of romanticized organized crime. I also think about Jazz, the invention of basketball (the location anyways) and the history of the skyscraper. Toronto: I guess I think about the war of 1812, Marshall McLuhan (where he moved to anyways), NFB, Thunderers, Mishupichu and where I happen to live.

Social issues aside, when I think of Chicago I think of a city realizing potential but when I think of Toronto I think of a city wasting it... at least so far. I do feel very happy about some of the changes happening in the city recently, that it is getting a little of its early post-war spirit back. Lets hope!

I feel as if we are living in some sort of Gilded Age for Toronto at the moment – this city is firing on all cylinders!

Social issues aside, when I think of Chicago I think of a city realizing potential but when I think of Toronto I think of a city wasting it... at least so far. I do feel very happy about some of the changes happening in the city recently, that it is getting a little of its early post-war spirit back. Lets hope!

The grass is always greener isn't... I lived in Chicago from 1998-2003 and the same complaints we have here were present there. Plus with the added issues of systemic corruption.

However, the difference is that Chicago gets a lot of money from the US Fed and we don't get anywhere near the investment from our Federal Govt.

We are succeeding in spite of the actions of the idiots at Queen's Park and Capital Hill... that's speaks a lot of the greatness of this city. I just wish people weren't stuck in this inferiority complex... sheesh!

Exactly!

I'm too busy these days and rarely quote anymore on here, but I did want to say how much I agree with the recent post...it bothers me also how easily we Torontonians forget about the funding impacts on our urban regions, especially Toronto!

Back