South Beach Condos & Lofts (Amexon Development Group) - Real Estate -

'Severely blocked' strikes me a somewhat hyperbolic. Yes, owners of south-facing units at South Beach will have other condos between them and the lake, but they will all be point towers, and there will be enough separation between them to see a slice of the lake here, a slice there, and a expanse over that way... it will be a part urban, part marine view. If you want 99% marine, 1% urban, go buy across the street from the lake at Waterscapes instead.

'Severely blocked' strikes me a somewhat hyperbolic. Yes, owners of south-facing units at South Beach will have other condos between them and the lake, but they will all be point towers, and there will be enough separation between them to see a slice of the lake here, a slice there, and a expanse over that way... it will be a part urban, part marine view. If you want 99% marine, 1% urban, go buy across the street from the lake at Waterscapes instead.

Yes, that's why I rescinded the agreement. There's absolutely no point for me to pay more per sq feet than Waterscape where I'll have pretty much no blockage.
At no point did any sales rep mention developments higher than SB immediately S of SB. All they told me is to get floors higher than the commercial ones and I will be fine. I learned so much here about the developments around that area, if I had known this before my 10 day cooling off period, I would have not even put down the deposit. Thanks again.

Regarding ONNI/MENKES

SUBJECT PROPERTY
The Land Services Group represented Menkes Development, a multi- disciplinary real estate development company, and AEW Capital Management, an international investment management firm headquartered in Boston, in the disposition of their site located at 2200 Lake Shore Boulevard West and 10 Park Lawn Road.
At the time of sale, the complex located at 2200 Lake Shore Blvd West held 22 office units and 14 storage units with lease terms expiring from June 2007 to June 2011 and was approximately 139,523 SF with a NOI (for 2007) of $1,600,000.
The complex located at 10 Park Lawn Road was leased to Kraft as one unit of office and one unit of storage with the lease expiring in July 2014. This building was approximately 53,705 SF and had a NOI in 2007 of $725,000.
This site has been approved for 1200 high density residential units and 195,365 square feet for commercial use. This property signifies a unique development, being one of the last remaining developable sites along the Etobicoke waterfront corridor.
OUR ROLE
Within the first several weeks a listing agreement was negotiated that provided incentives for CBRE if the team achieved a purchase price in excess of the initial valuation. During the negotiation of the listing agreement, the team assembled due diligence, built a marketing campaign and prepared offering materials. This property was offered for sale without an asking price via the Modified Tender Process. Interested proponents were asked to submit offers for this unique opportunity according to our Offering Process outlined in our Confidential Offering Memorandum (COM). In a six month period the Land Services Group received the listing, brought the property to market, shortlisted and negotiated a deal and lastly, completed the transaction.
OUTCOME
Through the Modified Tender Process, the Land Services Group produced a competitive bid process that generated multiple offers resulting in a successful acquisition by ONNI Group of Vancouver for $56 Million.
http://www.cbre.ca/NR/rdonlyres/7E7...3D3357502C/751850/2200Lakeshore10Parklawn.pdf

After reading this, I have no interest in any S facing units from SB. There's also a map somewhere, I couldn't find it at the moment which shows how the condos are being built, it is quite massive compared to SB. They are also taller than SB.

------------------------------------------
Regarding Another Building by SB.
http://eleganthomesinwesttoronto.blogspot.com/2009/06/south-beach-condo-gets-approval.html
It is not a 3rd building right at the site, but it is also taller than the current SB Blue and Green, and will no doubt affect views towards the city/lake.
------------------------------------------
Regarding $ per Sq. Ft.
I'm using Green Tower 10th floor for calculation; quoting Special Preview Prices which I got approx 2 weeks ago.

Name Sq Ft. Exposure $ / Sq ft
Astor 454 S/W 458
Seville 508 S/W 492
Palms 590 S/W 477
Biltmore 648 E 489
Avalon 659 N/W 417
Victor 703 N/E 497
Colony 784 N/W 408
Tides 824 S/E 447
Sagamore 854 S/E 443
Collins 971 W/S/N 428
Raleigh 1004 N/E/W 471
Lido 1036 S/E/W 463
Delano 1106 S/E 479

NE facing (Highest per Sq Ft, City/Water view no blockage until Christie gets developed or Condos West of Waterscape starts to rise, then the view will be so blocked).
Raleigh @ $471
Victor @ $497
Biltmore @ $489
Delano @ $479

SE facing (This should be the best water view to me, but is priced almost the lowest apart from N facings... Personally, I believe the developer knows buildings due S of SB site will block S city and water views.)
Tides @ 447
Sagamore @ 443
Lido @ 463

SW facing (I think you're facing the Blue tower)
Lido @ 463
Palms @ 477
Seville @ 492
Astor @ 458

NW facing (Kind of close to the train tracks)
Collins @ 428
Avalon @ 417
Colony @ 408

Thanks for the info Tortoro. Wow, I didn't know that South Beach had another tower in the works. I know the first tower sold out very quickly but I had no idea about this third tower at the motel strip site. A little correction, the SE facing corner units are called the Delano and the SW facing corners are called Lido. I know because I bought the Lido in the first tower and will be facing lake/mimico creek/mississauga view. Like I said before, nobody's views are guaranteed. Despite of this I think the area is going to be quite a gem in the years to come. Good luck at Waterscapes!

Why are people so shocked to see another condo project near by,you actually thought the sales people at SB would tell the buyers that their south view was going to be greatly compromised by another condo?.Waterscape if developed properly will become a very attractive purchase for those wanting a clear view of the lake but of course that comes at a higher cost.Either way SB does seem to be good project and all the best of luck for those who bought a unit there.

Why are people so shocked to see another condo project near by,you actually thought the sales people at SB would tell the buyers that their south view was going to be greatly compromised by another condo?.Waterscape if developed properly will become a very attractive purchase for those wanting a clear view of the lake but of course that comes at a higher cost.Either way SB does seem to be good project and all the best of luck for those who bought a unit there.

yeah... it would be nice if they told California condo purchasers that their view will be blocked by South Beach... same goes for South Beach as Waterscapes will be blocking its view...
not to mention how severely motel strip condos will block Nautilus's, Waterscapes's sunny southwest/west views...

IMO, unless a building sits RIGHT in front of your unit, it won't "block your view". What I'm trying to say is that proportionately speaking, buildings that are built in your line of sight can become "see through" and/or realistically only block 2 inches of your view.

Of course, if there's a yacht club in the distance that you have your heart on seeing from your condo view, your view will be blocked if there is a building built right in front of it, between you and the club. However, condo views are not narrow vision - they are the big picture.

If you have your heart of having a clear view of the lake, buy right along the lake to guarantee that your view will not be blocked (unless we figure out how to build water condos). 3 out of the 12 months here, the view will be beautiful. 9 months of the year, the view will probably be gray and dull. I would rather see cityscape, along with water, rather than just plain grey.

As in previous posts, just don't get caught up in one factor and one factor alone. You should look at the big picture when you make the big purchase.

yeah... it would be nice if they told California condo purchasers that their view will be blocked by South Beach... same goes for South Beach as Waterscapes will be blocking its view...
not to mention how severely motel strip condos will block Nautilus's, Waterscapes's sunny southwest/west views...

Maybe purchasers shouldn't be such lazy asses when it comes to investing their money. It's all public record.

On second thought, ignorance is bliss. I like watching towers go up.

South Beach will still have a decent view,its not like the downtown condos where your meters away from the next door project.The main thing you like the location and the amenities of the condo is well designed for your needs.

Did anyone notice the massive amounts of marketing for SB? Full page ads in all the major newspapers, features in the condo mags etc. They really want to sell the remaining units.

Did anyone notice the massive amounts of marketing for SB? Full page ads in all the major newspapers, features in the condo mags etc. They really want to sell the remaining units.

About 4 months ago I stopped by the sales center to see how things were going and I asked about units sold and just to get a feel for how the project was going. I also asked the sales lady why SB wasn't doing a lot of advertising in the Condo Guide, the newspapers, etc.etc. She told me "oh but we are, there is a lot of information out there on SB", which in my opinion wasn't quite true. Maybe they realized that the only way to get things moving back then was through marketing and advertising, something along the lines of California's marketing campaign of "units as low as $149,999"
The only way to get units sold in this city or anywhere else for that matter is mass advertising....if people don't know about the project, then the building doesn't have a chance to succeed no matter how outstanding it is. Waterscapes is a prime example....great location, great building, great ammenities, and hardly any sales. I think someone on this forum posted that they were only a little over 20% sold....imo directly as a result of a poor marketing campaign.

Last edited:
Here's the plan borisp found for the area around South Beach ~
This was the official plan submitted for the above mentioned properties on Park Lawn Rd...

Park_Lawn1.jpg

Regarding Another Building by SB.
http://eleganthomesinwesttoronto.blogspot.com/2009/06/south-beach-condo-gets-approval.html
It is not a 3rd building right at the site, but it is also taller than the current SB Blue and Green, and will no doubt affect views towards the city/lake.

tortoro ... this real estate agent should have done their research before writing this article ... the facts are wrong (yeah that tells you how knowledgable some RE agents are :rolleyes:) :

See below:

Cant find a thread for this one - if it exists already please move it over. thx

Councillors have unanimously approved without debate a proposed high-rise condominium on the Etobicoke lakefront in Humber Bay Shores complete with a public park.
Etobicoke York Community Council's decision Tuesday, June 9 in support of the Official Plan and zoning amendments permits construction of a 34-storey residential tower connected to a commercial building by a two-storey podium fronting on Lake Shore Boulevard West east of Park Lawn Road.

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority will develop the lakeside rear of the site fronting Marine Parade Drive into a public park.

At present, the property is the site of a two-storey motel and office.

The 107-metre glass building is designed to have an undulating facade, a wave-like effect created by balcony positioning. The tower would include 289 condo units, 51 per cent one-bedroom, 49 per cent two-bedroom.

"The green space where people can sit or play will be a nice complement to the trail-based area there now," said Cindy Rottenberg-Walker, partner with applicant Urban Design Strategies Inc. "It's an urban building created around a very pedestrian area with a European courtyard that protects future views to the lake."

Community benefits secured in a Section 37 agreement include $600,000 for the proposed immediate parkland improvements, as well as $500,000 for public and parkland improvements in the local area.

Area Etobicoke-Lakeshore Councillor Mark Grimes said he "couldn't be more pleased" with the building.

York West Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti concurred. "I think it's wonderful."

It would seem residents agree. Residents who attended a community consultation meeting last December expressed overall acceptance of the proposal, a May 22 city staff report indicated.

South Beach Condos and Lofts aims to bring the Miami, Fla. feel to the Etobicoke lakefront.

In recent years, a number of short condos have popped up on Marine Parade Drive.

A 1992 Ontario Municipal Board guideline resulted in building footprints that consumed the majority of property, with little setbacks from Marine Parade Drive.

Today, city guidelines require 35 metres between condo towers in the Humber Bay Shores area, said Michael McCart, a senior planner with the city who is also the planner on the file.

"The separation distance between buildings was minimal and the towers were shorter and fatter and created the effect of a wall between Marine Parade Drive and the lake. It didn't allow for sightlines to the lake," McCart said of condos built to the 1992 guidelines.

Residents advocated for opening up lake views.

"At a charette, it was unanimous that people wanted to open up the views to the lake, allow retail, regeneration, buildings with a smaller plate (footprint) and thinner buildings," McCart said.

Resident Malcolm Gonzales charged existing condos has resulted in traffic congestion and inadequate parking in the area.

Grimes called the twin issues "growing pains" and said an express bus recently rolled out on Marine Parade Drive is meeting with success and four future condo builds on the strip will include more public parking.

South Beach proposes to build five levels of underground parking, which will include some public parking spaces.

http://insidetoronto.com/article/70744

Here's the plan borisp found for the area around South Beach ~

tortoro ... this real estate agent should have done their research before writing this article ... the facts are wrong (yeah that tells you how knowledgable some RE agents are :rolleyes:) :

See below:

Thanks for clearing this up Solaris...I didn't think South Beach was building a third building. Just goes to show you....shouldn't always believe what you read!

Thanks for clearing this up Solaris...I didn't think South Beach was building a third building. Just goes to show you....shouldn't always believe what you read!

Forgive the ignorance. Anyone know what the article's site would be? The article says SB is building 5 levels of parking.

Thanks for the insight.

Back