News   Jul 15, 2024
 346     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 509     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Snow Dump Near Downsview Park

The stuff you find in these piles is the stuff found on the road and sidewalks. If they didn't dump it here it would, sooner or later, end up in the sewers. And then it would either hit a treatment plant or go straight into the lake.

"sometimes when contaminants filter into the soil, they bind with certain compounds present in the ground and become less of an issue"

Um .... did you really truly read that before you typed it ???? ;)
What's your point. The sentance makes perfect sense, and seems factually correct to me.

Hi -

The city of Toronto each year creates a massive dump right next to Downsview Park - it is supposed to be for snow, but in addition to the snow there is also garabage and waste that seeps right into the ground.

Passing by this site every day on the subway I was able to watch its creation. As others have already posted, this is snow removed from city streets. Anything beyond snow that is in the pile is stuff that was scooped off the streets with the snow (last year the Star had an article about the various pieces of junk found in the melting pile, including a fire hydrant). Leaving it where it was causes gridlock in much of the central streets and it will only end up melting and running into the sewers anyways.

When first constructed, it was as white as any other snow pile in the city.

Where else might you suggest the snow be put?

Aside from the fact your video simply shows a big pile of snow (now likely more ice) that has blackened from accumulated exhaust and dirt, I'm particularly concerned about your driving along the neighbouring expressway while simultaneously operating a video camera. Could you not have recruited someone to be your camera person so you could focus on the road?

Who are the best environmental agencies in Toronto that might help the city realize how bad it is to leave a four story pile of waste above a site zoned for housing one day. We are supposed to be a clean and beautiful city - this doesn't look like either.

Is that particular area really zoned for housing?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...522,-79.457041&spn=0.002531,0.003986&t=h&z=18

It's squeezed between a subway line (and adjacent subway yards) and the Allen Expressway. I wouldn't think anyone is planning on building houses in that very spot any time soon (although I could very well be wrong). Besides, they'd also have to move all the Chryslers no one is buying off the nearby airport taxiways.

Yes the area is zoned for housing - it's part of Toronto's Plan for the redevelopment of the area. Also keep in mind there is a Federal Park next to it, called "Downsview Park". Also keep in mind there is an airport runway three or so hundred feet away, called "Downsview Airport".

Perhaps this picture would illustrate just how big the dump is, and yes, unfortunately someone thought it would be funny to put a Canada Flag on top. I guess that's melted now and is somehwere lost in the pile. It also, unfortunately, shows how "not" seriously the dump is being taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12171156@N05/3257544311/

Last edited:
Yes the area is zoned for housing - it's part of Toronto's Plan for the redevelopment of the area.

I was asking about that specific piece of land where the snow pile is, the one that is about 100m wide and squeezed between the subway line/yard and the expressway.

I know there are plans for housing within the larger Downsview site, but I have a hard time believing that particular strip of land is expected to be developed as such.

Do you have a link to an official plan stating otherwise?

Perhaps this picture would illustrate just how big the dump is, and yes, unfortunately someone thought it would be funny to put a Canada Flag on top. I guess that's melted now and is somehwere lost in the pile. It also, unfortunately, shows how "not" seriously the dump is being taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12171156@N05/3257544311/

As I mentioned before, I pass that pile on the subway every day. That flag appeared while the pile was still being constructed (three large diggers were required staggered at various heights up the pile). I strongly suspect that the flag was placed there by the workers themselves and not some passer-by. It was there last year as well so presumably someone rescued it when the pile melted enough for it to fall over (it's not going to 'disappear' into the pile since it melts from the outside in).

And what is wrong with a Canadian flag planted in a prominent location?

Lastly, where else might you suggest the city dump the thousands of truckloads of snow that has to be removed from streets (if you want to have any kind of functioning city)?

Thanks for the links. Rather elaborate expectations they have (so I don't see them necessarily coming to fruition any time soon). Still have difficulty seeing that strip of land between the subway line, the yard and the Allen as being at all interesting for housing.

And no, I don't work for the city. I happen to live in a neighbourhood that requires the snow to be removed when it piles up. I've seen them load the trucks, seen the trucks head up north, and seen them dump the snow for the pile.

Any garbage that is in there is the same garbage that insensitive people throw on our city streets (cups, plastic bottles, wrappers, cigarette butts, etc.). The city is not sending their garbage trucks to dump their loads in the snow pile.

What other contaminants do you think is in there that would require environmental sampling? Even if there is slightly higher contamination of miscellaneous street chemicals picked up by the snow, where else should it be dumped?

Further along the Downsview property, just beyond the DRDC building (formerly DCIEM) there is a newish building. Years ago it used to be an oil depot on the airbase. When they were looking to develop that site, they brought in a company to do soil remediation in the mid-90s.

They dug up all the soil down to 3 - 5m and ran it through a furnace contraption to vapourize the hydrocarbons which were then funnelled to a high temperature combustion chamber for a relatively clean burn. Output product was a pile of steaming 'clean' dirt.

I would think the contaminants at that location far exceeded anything that might result from the melting of a big pile of snow from city streets.

if houses are being built on that site one day, the chemicals and off gassing of building materials from their construction, new furniture, etc. inside those homes is more of a threat than trace amounts of petrochemicals, outside, in the soil. besides, alot of the dirt will excavated for basements and be trucked away. fresh soil will be placed on top of the existing grade around the homes and then sod.

more contamination would happen during construction by some sloppy machine operator who spills diesel on the ground trying to fill his skid steer or burst hydraulic lines than from that pile of snow.

just a guess but i think out of that entire pile, there's less than a liter of gasoline, oil and antifreeze combined. unless they have discarded oil containers like you'd find in piles of snow from the parking lot at canadian tire or something in which case, at least the contents are bottled.

The contaminant plume from a simple pile of snow, indeed would be much less than any industry, or pipeline as a fore mentioned. It is likely better for the environment that this snow is being filtered by the filter, rather than entering the storm sewers and going into the lake directly. It will act as a nice recharge for the groundwater system below our city.
The snow piled here is likely from a location that wasn't able to handle anymore snow, or removed from transit shelters.

On a related topic... are metromelts still being used?

May I suggest changing the thread title from Dump near Downsview Park, to something more precise, eg Snow Dump near Downsview Park, or City Snow Dump, etc.

Good point - name changed to Snow Dump near Downsview Park.

Based on the picture with the flag - how many feet "high" would you say this dump is?

Ottawa Bans Snow Dump Site Close To Residents ....

At least one city in Canada is addressing the long term toxic issues of these dumps !!!!

" .... as for future sites, the new City of Ottawa Official Plan will not allow snow disposal sites to be set up so close to residents or a river ... "

Are people in Ottawa posibly a little bit wiser than people in Toronto ? ;)

http://www.tac-atc.ca/English/pdf/module2-8.pdf

It's really really unfortunate that we live in a city that pre-occupies itself with banning coffee cups .... but allows these sites to grow .... then asks people who raise the concern "what would you do?".

Ottawa receives two to three times as much snow as Toronto does. And in that city, snow removal actually means removal- and not just plowing it off to the side of the road. Consequently, they have snow dumps of considerable size in that city.

The Ottawa snow dump outlined in the article you posted had a limited life anyway. Development is moving in from the east and west and Hintonburg is gradually being gentrified by people looking for relatively inexpensive homes near downtown Ottawa. Besides, at 2,700 square kilometres, there's a huge amount of space to dump snow in that town.

There's always been one near Kipling Station, by the old movie theatre lot. The trains go right by it.

There's another City snow dump on the south side of Unwin Avenue (north of cycle path) and another in the Don Valley near Pottery Road.

The City seems to have three choices. A. Leave the snow piled up on the streets, B. use the City's snow melting machines or C Truck the snow to snow dumps. No matter which method is used there will always be 'crap' mixed with the snow - I suppose that when the snow going to the dumps melts the (possibly contaminated) water can get into the ground-water rather than into the sewers so it is probably the least environmentally sensitive method.

Back