News   Jul 15, 2024
 378     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Snow Dump Near Downsview Park

Are these laymans terms, or do they just lack a fundamental understanding of basic thermodynamics?

doesn't it work by the process of diffusion? what the heck is cold energy? isn't coldness the lack of energy?

Am I missing something? I can't see the photo...

If you can't see it, try looking on my profile in my albums.

Andomano: thanks for that! Actual data! Very refreshing.

No problem. That diagram was a part of a course package for the environmental geomorphology course I've been taking this past semester, so when I was studying my notes yesterday... it turned out to be a golden find.

Ouch.

When I first started this post, I sincerely had hoped that the city would not intervene in a negativve way - and would, at best, let the citiizens decide if it was environmentally sound.

After the inital post, a person started to reply that was obviously a City Employee.

Please, visit to see the scope of the dump at downsivew park - it is massive, and scary. It also goes against anything you hear about toronto being green - this city is not green

NEW!!!

Starting in JUNE 2009 there will be an online contest called "Name the Downsview Dump" - it will offer $350.00 in Tim Horton's Gift Certifciates for the best name for the dump near downsview park. Yes, that is three hundred and fifty dollars - honest.

Please Note: A name that will be excluded will be "Miller's Mountain" as I don't think that this would be appropriate for this type of location. Given that this dump is south of the flea market in Downsview Park, and also south of the parking lot for old buses in Downsview Park, I sincerely welcome any sort of meaningful suggestions that take into consideration the 15 years of amazing effort that have gone into making Downsview Park a meaningful place to visit ( have you been there lately?? ).

Please ...

Let's get the "Park / Parc " back into Downsview.

Email info@pdp.ca === as Earth Day at the Park is this month .... Please, email them and let them know, that the Dump is a great reminder of how we realy need to take environmetnal concerns seriously (and about the 350 dollars they could win for a good name for the dump at their doorstep ! ).

*** If you would like to contribute to the prize for the best name of the dump, please email: ***

350 dollars would be a great way to give "back" to the city that has given you so much !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started this post, I sincerely had hoped that the city would not intervene in a negativve way - and would, at best, let the citiizens decide if it was environmentally sound.

And as many people have posted in response to this thread, in the grand scheme of things, this snow pile is about as environmentally sound as you are going to get. You have a better alternative?

After the inital post, a person started to reply that was obviously a City Employee.

Given that I was the only one you asked if they were a city employee, doesn't the statement above just epitomize your position on this entire thread? You have certain conceptions in your mind and no matter what any one else writes, no matter what logic or facts are presented countering them, you refuse to acknowledge anything that questions your beliefs.

I specifically answer that no, I do not work for the city.

Yet you apparently don't believe that and from what I can tell, your entire basis for that belief is that I don't agree with your argument. That is very telling.

the scope of the dump at downsivew park - it is massive, and scary. It also goes against anything you hear about toronto being green - this city is not green

Yes, it is a big pile. But no, to many people, including many who have posted on this thread (including several previous lurkers who objected to your classifying them as supporting your position), it is NOT scary.

it will offer $350.00 in Tim Horton's Gift Certifciates for the best name for the dump near downsview park. Yes, that is three hundred and fifty dollars - honest.

Speaking of greenness, do you have a stipulation in this prize that it not be used to obtain any paper coffee cups that are just going to go in landfill (or maybe just discarded on the street where they can be scooped up in the next snow removal and piled up at Downsview)?

I know this is probably wasted effort since you have repeatedly refused to actually contribute to any solution to your supposed problem, but I'll ask yet again, what alternative would you suggest?

A simple 'yes' or 'no' to these questions would greatly help the discussion:

- Should the city just leave the snow in piles on the city streets? (For that matter, should the city even bother plowing the streets in the first place?)

- Should the city melt the snow where it is plowed in the city streets?

- Should the city remove the snow and pile it somewhere other than Downsview?

Back