News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

smooth ceilings ! Are they worth it ?

They said no. :( And not just to me, to others as well. I hate popcorn ceilings!

PinkLucy, if you are looking for someone to rid the popcorn ceiling let me know (PM me), I'll give you the contractor we use. He is good & very reasonable (compared to the other quotes we got). I would suggest though to have the developer leave all the "pop corn" part raw so the contractor doesn't need to scrape it off before smoothing it out; which will create even more mess actually. Another option is to have "drop ceiling".

Make sure to call my builder Liberty Development for your cabinets and counter top. They did a custom job in the condo I bought from them.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 331
  • Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 337
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Letter from Liberty Development.jpg
    Letter from Liberty Development.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 348
I just went through the upgrade selection process. My unit is approx 900sq ft and comes standard with the 'popcorn' ceilings. Exposed and sealed concrete is $1700 and smooth ceilings are $5,700. I like the look of smooth ceilings, however the price seems like a total ripoff. I am making my final decision next week and am leaning towards the exposed concrete. Any suggestions would be helpful.

What does sealed concrete mean? If you refer to a few photos that I've posted in the 500 Sherbourne thread U will see that I had "raw ceiling" to start cos I didn't like the pop corn nor the price the developer quoted to smooth the whole unit. The "raw ceiling" was sooo patchy we decided to hire a contractor to smooth it out. We paid about 60% of what the developer had quoted us and the contractor did a really good job. $5,700 for 900sqft is CRAZY. It's higher than what I was quoted by Sherbourne developer. PM me if you want the contact for my contractor for smoothing out the ceiling. He may be able to quote you a price that will work for you, unless you much prefer the exposed and sealed concrete.

Given that concrete is porous, I believe they seal it just as you would for a stone(like slate). The exposed concrete look will be smoothed out for the imperfections in the concrete. The fee is $1700. The smooth ceiling option is different. The decor person had a difficult time trying to explain what I get for $5,700. In other projects, its basically the popcorn stuff sprayed on the ceilings and then smoothed out (labour intensive). I would of expected a price of $2,500 not $5,700 for 900 square feet. Off topic, the builder wants $12,000 for engineered hardward (there highest upgrade) instead of the standard laminate and carpet in bedrooms. I will get the floors done by a contractor for $5,000.

Cityboy:
I'm not sure what they do for a raw concrete ceiling.. I worked on one project where they just painted the concrete.. yes, just paint.. it looked like vomit. I can't imagine going with a concrete ceiling, even if smoothed out and sealed.. it looks cold and seems to suck the light. Smooth ceiling means that it's manually plastered.. it is a time consuming thing..
As for price, $5700 is cheap compared to what I was quoted for my new place.. $7000 for 715 sqft. I just went with the popcorn. I might get it smoothed when I move in, but I'm probably going to leave it as it.. I don't think it's worth the effort..

The first option is the best .If your going to put a thin board back up and skim over you may as well skim over your ceiling the way it is and try to even it out .A person can only advise you if they have looked at the ceiling .Why don't you call a plasterer and ask him if he could even it out for you as there is not another room above it as walking above it ,it may crack good luck.

Back