News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

smooth ceilings ! Are they worth it ?

I got smooth ceilings for $1345 at X and my unit is 803 sqft.

sam1025, since your unit is similar in size to tissot, and i'm assuming you're at X since you asked about GG ... i think it's worth the $1345 for smooth ceilings.
the cost is about ~$2 psf when you exclude the bath and kitchen areas which are already smooth.

OTOH, if it was $5000 like another poster was charged, then forget it.

sam1025, since your unit is similar in size to tissot, and i'm assuming you're at X since you asked about GG ... i think it's worth the $1345 for smooth ceilings.
the cost is about ~$2 psf when you exclude the bath and kitchen areas which are already smooth.

OTOH, if it was $5000 like another poster was charged, then forget it.

I second the above.

Thanks for all your input...

I actually just purchased at Charlie condos ! I perfer smooth ceilings ...So if its only $2 psf...then I may just do it !!! I wouldn't wanna pay more than $1500 for it ! My unit is 781 sqf . Looks like smooth ceilings it is !)

I think carpet in the suite isn't so bad. If the hardwood doesn't have the thick insulation, you might get noise problem. I think noise would bounce more on hardwood than on carpet unless there's a thick layer underneath the hardwood to block sounds.

I think it would be nice if my neighbour above me had more carpet/broadloom! But, within the unit I don't feel it makes much of a difference. Maybe in 2,000+ SF units it would make a difference between multiple rooms, but in a standard 1bd to 2bd+d, there are not that many rooms and they are quiet close, so I expect to hear what people are saying to me one room over..

Sorry... just rambling on, and I know it has nothing to do with smooth ceilings..

I think it would be nice if my neighbour above me had more carpet/broadloom! But, within the unit I don't feel it makes much of a difference. Maybe in 2,000+ SF units it would make a difference between multiple rooms, but in a standard 1bd to 2bd+d, there are not that many rooms and they are quiet close, so I expect to hear what people are saying to me one room over..

Sorry... just rambling on, and I know it has nothing to do with smooth ceilings..

Off topic again, but I know that some condos require a certain % of the unit be covered with carpet/area rugs. I'm sure this is not routinely enforced, but I've seen it stated in some condo rules/regulations.

I don't know about the percentage requirement. There seems to be less and less condos with carpet. Most offer hardwood and only carpet in the bedrooms. Some have hardwood throughout even in bedrooms or offer it as an upgrade.

We should develop a carpet forum topic, I'm also interested. The place I am buying will have laminate flooring in the main floor and "loop carpeting" in the bedrooms. I am not sure what this is, and the builders won't give me the chance to upgrade to laminate flooring throughout. What exactly is loop carpeting and is it durable? I'd rather have laminate flooring.

Off topic again, but I know that some condos require a certain % of the unit be covered with carpet/area rugs. I'm sure this is not routinely enforced, but I've seen it stated in some condo rules/regulations.

Agreed, most condos that I have seen have this rule in place. However, I have never heard of it being enforced, or complained about.

My house has a popcorn ceiling. If you ever have to repair it, trying to recreate the popcorn effect to blend in with the rest of the ceiling is a REAL pain.

I bought a unit at Emerald city. If I want to get a smooth ceiling, do I tell them on the day where I will be choosing the finishing (they told me it will be 6 months before the occupancy date)?

How much do they usuallly cost?

Smooth ceiling? Worth the money to upgrade?

Has anybody ever upgraded to smooth ceiling?

what would you be willing to pay? 2000? 4000? 6000?

how much do you think its worth?

And do when you sell a condo do people really look for this option or is it a complete waste of $ ?

WOW, I can't believe what some builders are charging for smooth ceilings.. I had the options to upgrade to smooth ceiling at my one bedroom loft on Roncesvalles and I went for it because it only costed me $500 bucks for 530sqft... I wouldn't pay 5k, but 500 bucks, hell ya!

Back