News   Aug 28, 2024
 268     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Smitherman's Transit plan

You mentioned "software", you didn't say anything about "theory". As a planner, I understand the theory behind forecast modeling. I just have not been trained in the software.
If you are familiar with the theory, then you are also well aware that the software is trivial. Heck, back in the day, we just wrote the software ourselves anyway.

The fact that you would make those assumptions about what a planner can't do demonstrates how ignorant a lot of engineers are about what planners actually do.
As an engineer, I work with planners every day. I'm yet to see one pull out a computer model - let alone start to program one, or even discuss an equation any more complex than A=b*w

A good planner is worth their weight in gold, dealing with planning principle and policy, while balancing between politicians, clients, engineers, lawyers, agencies, the public, and technical experts. But quite frankly, they scare me if they just try and do something as simple as a volume calculation!

Ever seen a subdivision that was designed by an engineer? It's pretty clear that it was designed by an engineer, hahaha. It's boring as hell.
I can't say I have ... however, your telling me this? I'm the one who has criticized the Bloor-Danforth subway stations as being designed by engineers rather than architects! It must be the planners fault for not sorting out the roles properly! :) Engineers have their strengths - but creativity isn't one of them. Planners have their strengths, but complex numerical models are not one of them!

I can't say I have ... however, your telling me this? I'm the one who has criticized the Bloor-Danforth subway stations as being designed by engineers rather than architects! It must be the planners fault for not sorting out the roles properly! :) Engineers have their strengths - but creativity isn't one of them. Planners have their strengths, but complex numerical models are not one of them!

Let's just agree that Architects are full of themselves, and nobody likes them, ok? :)

As an engineer, I work with planners every day. I'm yet to see one pull out a computer model - let alone start to program one, or even discuss an equation any more complex than A=b*w

A good planner is worth their weight in gold, dealing with planning principle and policy, while balancing between politicians, clients, engineers, lawyers, agencies, the public, and technical experts. But quite frankly, they scare me if they just try and do something as simple as a volume calculation!

A good engineer is a great thing to have as well, but try to talk to most of them about Transit-Oriented Design, New Urbanism, or most other 'core planning concepts', and they look at you like you have two heads and just say "whatever, you deal with it, I'll figure out where the utilities will go after you're done".

The architect tries to turn the box into a work of art, the engineer tries to make the box into more of a box so it'll actually stand up, and the planner mediates between the two, all the while telling them where they can't put the box because it won't work there.

Your idea backbone subway network totally ignores Northwest Toronto.
Are you saying the Finch West LRT, which few here are arguing against anyway, will do substantially more for northwest Toronto than the Spadina subway extension?

Your plan does not even include a extension to Steeles!, The fact that you think a subway to the Airport, and a Sheppard subway extension, both whose demand do not approach the justification for a subway are high priority tells me you do not really know what Toronto needs.
A subway-LRT compromise on Sheppard was possible, but a Victoria Park subway extension should have been a no-brainer. Giambrone was advised to include it, but his massive ego would not allow him to alter the master plan. It's no accident that the only federal contribution to TC was to the Sheppard LRT, which, barring its cancellation, has effectively killed any eastward extension of the Sheppard subway.

Personally, I don't think a subway or LRT is justified to the airport in the short- to medium-term.

As for Steeles, Miller and Giambrone are opposed to it and have successfully lobbied to slow down this project (much to York Region's irritation), so I'm surprised to see you actually part ways with them on this.

As for Steeles, Miller and Giambrone are opposed to it and have successfully lobbied to slow down this project (much to York Region's irritation), so I'm surprised to see you actually part ways with them on this.

I think he's just being contrarian....which in itself isn't a very consistent rationale.

A good engineer is a great thing to have as well, but try to talk to most of them about Transit-Oriented Design, New Urbanism, or most other 'core planning concepts', and they look at you like you have two heads and just say "whatever, you deal with it, I'll figure out where the utilities will go after you're done".
Oh ... design engineers. They really don't like to think out of their box ...

The architect tries to turn the box into a work of art, the engineer tries to make the box into more of a box so it'll actually stand up, and the planner mediates between the two, all the while telling them where they can't put the box because it won't work there.
LOL!

And you people cannot seem to understand us "LRT-istas" are not against subways WHERE THEY CAN be justified.

Except that you are. The money being allocated to Transit City today could have been used to finance the start of planning/construction for a Downtown Relief Line today. Eglinton is already predicted to have a higher daily usage by 2031 (likely sooner) than either YUS extensions into York Region. Sheppard between Don Mills and Warden already sees high enough volume and peak hour frequency of bus traffic to justify below-grade traffic-free passage for riders. By prioritizing Transit City and the York Region YUS extensions ahead of the set out plans from 2003 (http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/ridership_growth_strategy_2003.pdf), you've set the entire agenda back 15-20 years. None of Sheppard East east of McCowan, all of Finch West, all of the Waterfront and all of Jane Street were even considered as priority routes facing overcapacity issues in the foreseeable future.

I do not believe in building a subway network for the sake of building subways.

Neither does SOS. DRL and Eglinton are critically needed because of how difficult it is for users to commute across these corridors today, not some put-off future date.

It's a waste of money especially in areas where LRT can work fine. You guys cannot seem to understand this. Transit City, imprefect it may be, at least attempts to bring better service to most of the city.

Attempts to but doesn't. TC as originally proposed has shrunk dramatically in size and it's uncertain when it'll be completed in entirity. Taking a direct bus route from the far-flung ends of the city directly into the subway and now obstructing that directness with truncated LRT lines is not a viable solution. You'll force more commuters to take up driving.

Your idea backbone subway network totally ignores Northwest Toronto. Why should I go along with a plan like that? It's horrible. Toronto's system is woefullyinadequate because we create grandiose subway plans, build a fraction of the plan in a decade due to the reality of the costs and start over again!

Subways don't have to penetrate every nook and cranny of the city, particularly when trying to construct several lines simulteaneously. An Eglinton subway running north to reach the airport via Highway 27 and Dixon puts subway very closeby to most of NW Toronto's high density areas. Rejigging the 191 bus to serve Albion Mall then run up Kipling between Albion and Steeles would be a great way to minimize commutes for that high-density apartment community. And of course TYSSE will bring the subway as close as Jane/Steeles significantly reducing travel times from that end as well. What a lot of people in the inner-suburbs tend to forget is that it doesn't matter how quickly the subway can get you from the boonies to the downtown core, if once there you have to laywait unreliable streetcars while exposed to the elements.

The city finally comes up with a plan that will build decent transit to most parts of Toronto, and plan that can show that transit can be affordable, and you guys

Finally? All the City does is make grandiose plans. What the City did was lie to the citizenry when it lowballed how much Transit City would cost the taxpayer and now tells us that we're stuck with it no matter the cost. That 30kms of new subways could have been built for the same price is something not to be concealed from knowledge. Pitfield (and now Rossi) have come up with a feasible way to expand subways, bit by bit, such that in 30 years the sum of ongoing expansion creates an impressive system. Meanwhile we don't rest on our laurels, but at the same time don't invest in cost-prohibitive surface-rail that politicians will be reluntant to tear up as ridership exceeds the carrying capacity of light-rail. Why can't ROW and priority signaling for wheeled transit not work the same as for rails, realizing it is only a temporary solution until subways underneaths are finished building?

"Big Pieces" Your plan does not even include a extension to Steeles!, The fact that you think a subway to the Airport, and a Sheppard subway extension, both whose demand do not approach the justification for a subway are high priority tells me you do not really know what Toronto needs.

Except that there's no way the Province would sign off on a Steeles extension without running it miles into York Region where the daily boardings at some of the midway stops would make Bessarion look good. SOS delays Sheppard til phase II to avoid the likelihood of the City stubbing it for financial reasons prior to STC. It's full-length or bust. As for the airport, for all those European cities I'd imagine Miller, Giambrone and co. went to and patterned their Transit City model off of; I'd garner that the major urban centres that they overlooked in their survey had direct economy-fare underground subway or commuter rail ready to greet passengers the minute they've claimed their luggage.

Are you saying the Finch West LRT, which few here are arguing against anyway, will do substantially more for northwest Toronto than the Spadina subway extension?

Much more so. The Finch LRT at least will penetrate Rexdale, and give residents quality transit. You guys deemed it necessary to give Scarborough a subway, and totally ignored Rexdale.

A subway-LRT compromise on Sheppard was possible, but a Victoria Park subway extension should have been a no-brainer. Giambrone was advised to include it, but his massive ego would not allow him to alter the master plan. It's no accident that the only federal contribution to TC was to the Sheppard LRT, which, barring its cancellation, has effectively killed any eastward extension of the Sheppard subway.

Personally, I don't think a subway or LRT is justified to the airport in the short- to medium-term.

How do you know Giambrone was advised to include it, and declined? Why do you(others) make these accusations? If you have proof, fine, but....
The airport is not a major destination, and focus should be to make the ARL a rapid transit line, and not some premium express service for businesspeople.

Miller, and Giambrone do not oppose the subway to Richmond Hill. Miller understands the extension will just make it harder for Toronto riders to board a train. I would think you would be behind Miller on this one, considering he demanded the province move up the DRL in priority before building the subway to RHC. York could care less about Toronto and what happens below Steeles. They have already made that clear with forcing the entire operating cost of the Spadina Subway extension onto the city, and us Toronto taxpayers.

Humber area could easily be served by extending the DRL past Dundas West up the rail ROW corridor like the rest of the planet would do. Other cities would consider it a no brainer but Toronto refuses to use rail ROW which is part of the reason why the TTC subway system has been exploding by an average of 5 kn/decade.

Humber area could easily be served by extending the DRL past Dundas West up the rail ROW corridor like the rest of the planet would do. Other cities would consider it a no brainer but Toronto refuses to use rail ROW which is part of the reason why the TTC subway system has been exploding by an average of 5 kn/decade.

Why do you always say this, that or the other proposal "could easily" be done? Nothing of this calibre of thing can 'easily' be done, that is usually why there is such extensive discussion and debate about the best solution. Anyone who insists on saying this stuff "could easily" be done very likely does not fully understand the issue.

As mentioned previously, one of the reasons this sort of proposal could not "easily" be done is that the TTC or city do not own the ROW corridors. They can't just tell CN or CP that they are taking over some of their tracks or space, throwing in a different type of train (presumably requiring an electrified third rail and all the issues related to that) while seriously impacting the existing rail operations as they build this line.

I'm sure there are many other reasons that further explain why this particular solution is not front and centre as a primary solution, but I'm not claiming to have complete understanding of the situation.

There is every potential to run subways under the rail corridor. It's been suggested and it's one of the many routing options out there. It doesn't solve any of the other larger issues, such as financing. As above, at-grade running in the rail corridor for TTC is a fantasy. GO Transit can't even run off-peak trains on most lines because of track scheduling.

There is every potential to run subways under the rail corridor. It's been suggested and it's one of the many routing options out there. It doesn't solve any of the other larger issues, such as financing. As above, at-grade running in the rail corridor for TTC is a fantasy. GO Transit can't even run off-peak trains on most lines because of track scheduling.

Kinda. GO Transit isn't going to be pleased about cut/cover construction for station and boring machine entry/removal. Secondly, there is very little (no?) cost savings to tunnelling under a railway instead of tunnelling under a nearby street -- operations suffers in part due to duplication of service though (5 minute electrified GO headways and a 3 minute headway for subway underneath?)

Rail corridor also runs where people aren't, so any stations built on rail corridor would likely require farther pedestrian travel, and could not promote the same kind of local development as would stations built under streets.

Kinda. GO Transit isn't going to be pleased about cut/cover construction for station and boring machine entry/removal. Secondly, there is very little (no?) cost savings to tunnelling under a railway instead of tunnelling under a nearby street -- operations suffers in part due to duplication of service though (5 minute electrified GO headways and a 3 minute headway for subway underneath?)
Big, big, big point. Why make a subway on the same route that will soon have reliable regional service? Unless it's something like straight through the centre of downtown, it's not worth the capital or even operational costs. Go will serve way more people, and probably give them better service by letting people bypass crowded downtown spacing.

Rail corridor also runs where people aren't, so any stations built on rail corridor would likely require farther pedestrian travel, and could not promote the same kind of local development as would stations built under streets.

Not necessarily true. A lot of the Georgetown corridor is bordered by current or former industrial sites. As Liberty Village has shown, these sites make excellent locations for brownfield, transit-oriented development. Much more so than you would get in a stable residential neighbourhood in fact.

Also, the stations would be located at the intersection of the rail corridor and major streets, therefore the transfer from streetcar/bus to subway would be the same as it would be at any other station. In fact, because there would be more land around the station site (land that would be developed either in conjunction with the station or shortly afterwards), it leaves more room to design a proper transfer facility, more like those located at Dundas West, as opposed to anywhere on the downtown portion of the YUS loop.

Last edited:

Back