News   Apr 19, 2024
 103     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 754     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.4K     2 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

The facts seem to show that Torontonians are perfectly fine with elevated. It is viewed as futuristic, while on street rail transit is viewed as 19th century (maybe 20th if not horse pulled). It is transit planners and politicians who don't like it, because they are trying to reinvent the city or delay decisions instead of giving the people what they want.

Right. Torontonians demonstrated their support for elevated transit by opting for a subway in scarborough to replace the SRT.

Right. Torontonians demonstrated their support for elevated transit by opting for a subway in scarborough to replace the SRT.

And this has nothing to do with SRT being elevated. Transfer at Kennedy is what they want to avoid.

I rather see LRT on Eglinton West; SmartTrack can terminate at Mt Dennis in Phase I, and be extended in the Weston rail corridor in the future.

However, it will be useful to explore ways to make Eglinton West LRT more grade-separated. It does not have to be 100% elevated, or totally avoid traffic lights. Elevating it over some of the major intersections can improve both the LRT operation and the general traffic flow.

Between those points, it can use the street median. Some traffic lights at the intersections with minor streets, that do not get much green time anyway, will not impede LRT much.

And this has nothing to do with SRT being elevated. Transfer at Kennedy is what they want to avoid.

Depands who you ask.

“Scarborough deserves a subway just like everybody else. When I’m at the end of the line, and its finally my turn to get my share of the pie, not even an equal share of the pie, just a little bit of the pie, it’s very upsetting for Scarborough residents and politicians to hear politicians from downtown Toronto being very selfish, very self-centered, saying ‘nothing for Scarborough, everything for our people."

- Glen De Baeremaeker

Not a big GDB fan myself, but that statement is 100% correct. Scarborough has been paying for transit all across the city, its OUR turn now. I swear its as if the rest of the city wants Scarborough to become this ghetto. There's a reason why Scarborough residents are this passionate over this issue, we have been getting shafted constantly by this city for years (specifically by the downtown councilors and left leaning mayors…minus RF and now JT)

Scarborough according to GDB:

Scarborough.jpg

Attachments

• Scarborough.jpg
    Scarborough.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 428
Not a big GDB fan myself, but that statement is 100% correct. Scarborough has been paying for transit all across the city, its OUR turn now. I swear its as if the rest of the city wants Scarborough to become this ghetto. There's a reason why Scarborough residents are this passionate over this issue, we have been getting shafted constantly by this city for years (specifically by the downtown councilors and left leaning mayors…minus RF and now JT)

What, Scarborough bus fares subsidize streetcar passengers on the 501 now? Or something? Or is this parody?

As for the traffic light issue, I fail to see why spending hundreds of millions more in elevated tracks and station infrastructure is justified by what seems like an aesthetic preference against stopping at the occasional light. It would be no worse than hitting a red every now and then while driving in light-to-non-existant traffic. Perhaps momentarily annoying, but I can imagine that most people will scarcely look up from their phones at a given stop (expect to check it's not *their* stop of course).

Scarborough getting shafted?

With 4 new LRT lines, surely Scarborough shafted itself by voting for anti-transit Rob Ford, and then John Tory who promised a lot less transit for Scarborough than other candidates.

Scarborough deserves what it gets, voting for Ford.

What about downtown? Surely it's their turn now, with no new rapid transit south of Bloor since the 1950s, despite much higher demand than Scarborough, or North York, which seems to get an endless supply of new subway stations.

In what way have Scarborough residents been getting shafted that residents elsewhere in Toronto have not been?

Don't forget that these downtown subways were primarily paid for by TTC fares, not by big multi-year property tax hikes for the whole city.

I have lots of strong words for GDB, which will most likely get me suspended from here, so I'll hold my tongue. He's easy the most self-serving councilor in the city.

The fault is the make-up of City Council - where 98% of the votes rest with Councillors who only have allegiances with their own little area only.
The only one who has any responsibility to the entire city is the Mayor. With such a system, you are bound to get several, if not dozens of, self-serving people.

How would a elevated heavy rail structure look like? This streetsview image is from Indian Road where the 2 Bloor-Danforth enters the elevated Keele Station.

There's more than two tracks in the corridor at the point due to the leads into Vincent Yard, so it's not really a fair example.

At Clendenan Ave is only two tracks wide:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Clend...=UXRuG0cDEgLFS_h4clPcVw&cbp=12,341.76,,0,8.56

But the examples from Vancouver are likely better examples of what a modern elevated corridor looks like.

Or Copenhagen:

P1130751.JPG

If Amsterdam, London, Vienna, Copenhagen, and others can build elevated I'm sure we can too.

Attachments

• P1130751.JPG
    P1130751.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Back