News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 577     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 878     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I know that they will announce it with the winning bidder but that means Torontonians will end up getting the trains that best suit the bidder and not necessarily the transit rider. Think about it, it's been 8 years since they announced electrification and people still don't even know what the trains will look like.

I know that they will announce it with the winning bidder but that means Torontonians will end up getting the trains that best suit the bidder and not necessarily the transit rider. Think about it, it's been 8 years since they announced electrification and people still don't even know what the trains will look like.
In order to win the bid they would be meeting the technical criteria needed to satisfy Metrolinx and one would really hope the RFP scope would have goals that align to the goals of riders. Yes, they will not know what the trains will look like until the bidder is selected, but they will know what they can accomplish.

In the 7 years since Tory's election when he boldly stated that SmartTrack would be open in 7 years (ie, now), not a single shovel has even hit dirt yet. Big win there, John! 😆

While it's not great, the public ate the promise that he would achieve something using resources outside of the authority for Toronto.

Of course, Ford won doing something similar (promising to eliminate the federal carbon plan).

15 years for 5 GO stations seems like a pretty good deal to me. We're building rapid transit a great speeds here in Toronto!

In fairness now, LOL.......Smart Track was first promised in 2014; if you look at the individual station pages, they all indicated the stations are to be operational by 2026; so that's only 12 years!

Of course, the remaining 'legs' of ST were subway-style frequencies, and the same price as TTC.

Will those be in place for 2026?........

In fairness now, LOL.......Smart Track was first promised in 2014; if you look at the individual station pages, they all indicated the stations are to be operational by 2026; so that's only 12 years!

Of course, the remaining 'legs' of ST were subway-style frequencies, and the same price as TTC.

Oh I just accounted for the Toronto Premium, you know the additional time it takes for major infrastructure projects to get completed in this city because nothing ever gets built on time here.

So add 3 years to that 2026 date, that gives us an operational date of 2029. I factored in another 3 years for the Toronto Premium in this case ;)

Without subway-style frequencies, and the same price as TTC., plus free transfer with the TTC, they are just a few more GO stations...

Back