News   Mar 28, 2024
 257     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 240     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Not sure where to post this - but it specifically references the proposed Finch-Kennedy SmartTrack station as the site of the announcement - Monday, August 26 at 10 AM. From Canada Newswire:

News provided by
Infrastructure Canada
Aug 25, 2019, 14:00 ET

SCARBOROUGH, ON, Aug. 24, 2019 /CNW/ - Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure event for the Greater Toronto Area with the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Jean Yip, Member of Parliament for Scarborough–Agincourt; the Honourable Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure for Ontario; the Honourable Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation for Ontario; the Honourable Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA); John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto; and Jaye Robinson, Chair, Toronto Transit Commission.

Date:Monday August 26, 2019
Time:10 a.m. (EDT)
Existing rail corridor on the south side of Finch Avenue E.,
between Kennedy Avenue and Midland Avenue
Scarborough, ON
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Web: Infrastructure Canada
SOURCE Infrastructure Canada
rt.gif

Not sure where to post this - but it specifically references the proposed Finch-Kennedy SmartTrack station as the site of the announcement - Monday, August 26 at 10 AM. From Canada Newswire:

News provided by
Infrastructure Canada
Aug 25, 2019, 14:00 ET

SCARBOROUGH, ON, Aug. 24, 2019 /CNW/ - Members of the media are invited to attend an important infrastructure event for the Greater Toronto Area with the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Jean Yip, Member of Parliament for Scarborough–Agincourt; the Honourable Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure for Ontario; the Honourable Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation for Ontario; the Honourable Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA); John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto; and Jaye Robinson, Chair, Toronto Transit Commission.

Date:Monday August 26, 2019
Time:10 a.m. (EDT)
Existing rail corridor on the south side of Finch Avenue E.,
between Kennedy Avenue and Midland Avenue
Scarborough, ON
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Web: Infrastructure Canada
SOURCE Infrastructure Canada

Good. Regardless of Smarttrack Go RER etc etc this is a good place for a station and should happen.

^ Interesting. Maybe there has been some thawing of provincial-federal relations to get funding for projects out the door?

Federal funding for Smarttrack stations amongst other things

Some comments from the tweets relating to ST:

Metrolinx has pulled new GO and SmartTrack from its procurement process and is instead seeking money from development deals to pay for them.

It’s also unclear whether all six proposed SmartTrack stations are warranted, now that the province has proposed the Ontario Line and a three-stop Scarborough subway
(I agree with axing Lawrence GO station, but not with the others, Liberty, Gerrard, Unilever. Will still be important stations to mitigate overcrowding at Union. Will be important interchanges to the Ontario Line. Liberty GO also is nowhere near the Ontario Line, and an important station for Liberty Village access)

Asked about whether her government is still seeking private funds to pay for new GO/SmartTrack stations, Mulroney is vague but says there’s more to come on that issue. Tory is clearer, describes federal funding as a backstop if private deals don’t materialize.

Asked how he can be sure all six proposed SmartTrack stations are warranted given Ontario Line and three-stop Scarborough extension, Tory says no one ever tells him government is building too much transit but he suggests further assessment could be required.

Tory says SmartTrack stations could be under construction next year, in service by 2024.

Last edited:

Federal funding for Smarttrack stations amongst other things

Some comments from the tweets relating to ST:

(I agree with axing Lawrence GO station, but not with the others, Liberty, Gerrard, Unilever. Will still be important stations to mitigate overcrowding at Union. Will be important interchanges to the Ontario Line. Liberty GO also is nowhere near the Ontario Line, and an important station for Liberty Village access)

Is there a grade separation planned for at this location?

I always found Gerrard to be a bit duplicitous, being less than 1.5km away from East Harbour.

Perhaps redundant would be a more apt choice?

duplicitous
(djuːplɪsɪtəs , US duː- )

adjective
Someone who is duplicitous is deceitful.

The photo shows a typical location for a proposed Toronto higher-order transit station: more or less rural population and employment density. Lots of trees and no people. I mean, I get it, I really do. We have to build cripplingly expensive high frequency heavy rail to our least densely populated areas now because it’s all about future growth. Which of course means we can’t build cripplingly expensive high frequency heavy rail where there’s already demand, because equity for folks and downtown has enough subways. Thank goodness SmartTrack isn’t actually a real thing.

Reactions: syn
The photo shows a typical location for a proposed Toronto higher-order transit station: more or less rural population and employment density. Lots of trees and no people. I mean, I get it, I really do. We have to build cripplingly expensive high frequency heavy rail to our least densely populated areas now because it’s all about future growth. Which of course means we can’t build cripplingly expensive high frequency heavy rail where there’s already demand, because equity for folks and downtown has enough subways. Thank goodness SmartTrack isn’t actually a real thing.

Its a bad angle. The area is relatively built up being on the outskirts of Toronto proper, with a large commercial area and housing, as well as some mid/high rise development just east called Agincourt North, and more about the same distance to the west called L'Amoreaux.

Its definitely a "bus" station, but theres lots around

Last edited:
I hope the Stouffville stations don't see any service prior to the introduction of express trains from the existing stations. Our commutes have gotten significantly longer over the years already.

Back