News   Apr 18, 2024
 452     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I agree, but in my mind, SmarTrack was never a thing after the Liberals limited it to be just some new GO stations that the city is paying for. Essentially there is and never was SmartTrack beyond a napkin plan for Tory to win the election in Toronto. I believe that RER is dead with Conservatives in power. There is no mention of RER by name, nor is there any discussion of electrifying the GO lines. They will improve service using conventional GO and make it AD2D service but it will be nothing more.

There's good savings in using existing rail corridors to add stations to the TTC network, especially for users if the fare is standard TTC fare, transferable to the rest of the network. I hope we don't lose these ST stations, though I do understand that the plan for Scarborough ST changes with the reworked 3-station Scarborough subway plan.

There's good savings in using existing rail corridors to add stations to the TTC network, especially for users if the fare is standard TTC fare, transferable to the rest of the network. I hope we don't lose these ST stations, though I do understand that the plan for Scarborough ST changes with the reworked 3-station Scarborough subway plan.

The problem we can run in to is making commuter rail no longer express. The point of GO is to move people fast. Adding more stations will eventually slow the line down too much.

Emus:

10368996-3x2-700x467.jpg

Don't forget that transit ridership is a complex function of stops on the line, frequency, as well as fares. By "complex" it means that simply considering the effects of adding of stops but not taking into consideration of increases/decrease of frequency and increasing/lowering of fares is very difficult to predict the actual outcomes. For example, it is very likely that even with slightly increased travel time due to more stop and go from new stations, frequency might make up for any potential loss of ridership. The key is to fine-tune these knobs until we can experimentally obtain a good operating point that would maximize transit ridership.

From today's City staff report:

SmartTrack Stations The proposed Ontario Line could potentially impact the case for, or design of, the King-Liberty, East Harbour and Gerrard-Carlaw SmartTrack stations by modifying the nature of the connections between the lines and by affecting estimated station usage. Likewise, the L2EE could impact Lawrence East SmartTrack Station. Detailed travel demand modelling is underway to analyze these impacts. Should the estimated station usage change significantly, the City and TTC will work with Metrolinx to revise the business case for these stations, review station concepts and seek any required approvals.

Back