News   Jul 15, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

^^Glenn De BaerMaeker has a crazy dream to turn the structure into some sort of linear park.

Yes, he calls it the Scarborough High Line and thinks it will be a "spectacular tourist attraction". As if people will be coming there in droves to visit an industrial park.

GO RER plans are often compared to Paris and German rail systems, but how about Metro North Railroad in NYC? I used it last summer and in many ways it seems very similar to what Metrolinx is striving for.

I agree with this - very simillar.

Thanks...yes, I forgot that they included SmartTrack in their RER update....still not sure where/when they ever said they would priortize Lakeshore East electrification because of, or for, SmartTrack
Found it. It's actually a City of Toronto collaboration with Metrolinx. So, not a Metrolinx document, but:

Page 14 of SmartTrack Work Plan, 2015-2016

"Finally, electrically powered trains will need to access maintenance and storage facilities. Metrolinx is constructing a new facility in Whitby, designed to accommodate electrification. The location of the facility requires Metrolinx to electrify the Lakeshore East corridor as an early priority.

Yes, he calls it the Scarborough High Line and thinks it will be a "spectacular tourist attraction". As if people will be coming there in droves to visit an industrial park.

It might be a nice place to jog for the people who live there, but if he thinks the views of industrial Scarborough are comparable at all to the views of west Manhattan from the real high line, he must be high himself.

Hmm... "SmartTrack" reminds me of something...

002.jpg

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 581
Looks like John Tory is getting yet another step closer to SmartTrack without even lifting a finger. First double tracking the Stoufville line, now this.

Liberal government clears way for UPX electrification - Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...nment-clears-way-for-upx-electrification.html

I think the electrification of the UPX line will be bundled in with the electrification of the USRC, and the Kitchener line. Electrifying the spur (the only section where UPX isn't overlapping with another line) would be a rounding error in the grand total of that electrification project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the electrification of the UPX line will be bundled in with the electrification of the USRC, and the Kitchener line. Electrifying the spur (the only section where UPX isn't overlapping with another line) would be a rounding error in the grand total of that electrification project.

The Union Pearson Express electrification includes the USRC on the west side of Union Station, and the Kitchener line to Pearson, and the UP Spur. This makes sense as a first phase, as it encompasses an entire service.

The Union Pearson Express electrification includes the USRC on the west side of Union Station, and the Kitchener line to Pearson, and the UP Spur. This makes sense as a first phase, as it encompasses an entire service.

From what I remember from the electrification report a while back, the original plan was to electrify the Kitchener line to Bramalea (or somewhere around there), and the Lakeshore West line to Oakville. This way the USRC and the connection to Mimico Yard is electrified. Can't remember if it included Lakeshore East as well though.

Gotta love politics. People still think Tory actually promised to do something. Brilliant strategy for future mayor candidates to mimic.

Next campaign he can promise all-day kindergarten.

Gotta love politics. People still think Tory actually promised to do something. Brilliant strategy for future mayor candidates to mimic.

And because he borrowed the GO RER plan and called it Smart Track, Toronto now has to pay 1/3rd of the cost.

and its only going to magically cost us an extra $2.7 Billion to essentially do what was already supposed to be done with another pot of money.

GO RER already contemplated infill stations and a bare bones station IIRC someone on another thread said costs us roughly $35 million. Wasnt this money already accounted for in their own estimates of RER potential build outs at $10B

I have asked around and still cannot ascertain where the extra money is needed. Is it all going to Eglinton West heavy Rail? If thats the case then I expect to see the Eglinton west debate fall dead in the water once those numbers come out with some clarity, and a reversion to LRT (i suspect that was Tory's sneaky whole plan all along). I cant see council supporting a 2.7 billion dollar rail spur, but hey crazier things have happened down there...

If my understanding is out to lunch please tell me.

Back