News   Jul 15, 2024
 132     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

This discussion always seems to come back to someone's idea that elevated transit would look cool on the skyscape so let's build it and make extravagant efforts to argue that it was the best solution all along. I find the merits a bit contrived.

The decision process for rail transit on Eglinton West should begin with an examination of whether the lowest-cost solution (ie middle of road LRT) will do the job. If so, no need to seek a "fancier" solution. There are some very valid arguments about why Smarttrack should not go down this corridor at all, which need to be considered, before anyone discusses what mode Eglinton West actually needs.

If any solution other than center-of-road LRT becomes preferred, then you will likely see some stretches of the line being elevated. This will happen for the same reason that the Dundas West-Keele and Jane-Old Mill sections of the B-D Subway were elevated: topography. It makes eminent sense to cross those deep creek beds on an elevated structure, and to ease the gradients by going underground to miss the highest spots.

This does not mean however that if one part of the line becomes elevated, the whole line must be elevated. I would hope we would defer to the engineers and designers to figure out what is needed where, to keep costs down and provide the best overall solution.

If someone has a dream about a cityscape with trains whizzing by in the air, I'd suggest sticking to old Jetsons DVD's.

Lastly, the discussion so far has been about how it looks, and not enough about how it sounds. Vancouver's Skytrain works well because the trains are light and don't make a lot of noise. The Dundas West-Keele segments, and the Castle Frank segment for that matter, work poorly because the B-D is heavy rail and trains are loud. Smarttrack certainly sounds like it will be "heavy" (and noisy) technology. I don't think people on Indian Road will tell you that it's a picnic living next to that open section. Nor would I want to live next to Chicago's EL, no matter how funky it is to enjoy as a tourist.

- Paul

Mumbai Metro (heavy rail)

6.jpg

MUMBAI_METRO_1938506f.jpg

10monorail.jpg

Mumbai_Metro_train_crossing_bridge_over_WEH.jpg

Wonder how it would look along Eglinton West, with our palm trees.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 677
  • MUMBAI_METRO_1938506f.jpg
    MUMBAI_METRO_1938506f.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 754
  • 10monorail.jpg
    10monorail.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 780
  • Mumbai_Metro_train_crossing_bridge_over_WEH.jpg
    Mumbai_Metro_train_crossing_bridge_over_WEH.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,000
This discussion always seems to come back to someone's idea that elevated transit would look cool on the skyscape so let's build it and make extravagant efforts to argue that it was the best solution all along. I find the merits a bit contrived.

Really? It seems to me like the main argument being made against elevated transit is that it's ugly and that it impacts the streetscape.

The decision process for rail transit on Eglinton West should begin with an examination of whether the lowest-cost solution (ie middle of road LRT) will do the job. If so, no need to seek a "fancier" solution. There are some very valid arguments about why Smarttrack should not go down this corridor at all, which need to be considered, before anyone discusses what mode Eglinton West actually needs.

The lowest cost solution is a bus. Which is what it already has.

This does not mean however that if one part of the line becomes elevated, the whole line must be elevated. I would hope we would defer to the engineers and designers to figure out what is needed where, to keep costs down and provide the best overall solution.

The argument over elevated transit is more about keeping Eglinton grade separated for the entire length, so that it can be automated and so it can avoid stopping at every light like the Spadina and Harbourfront lines do. Given the city's track record on signal priority, I doubt that the Eglinton line will whiz through the traffic lights. And even though traffic lights are few and far between on Eglinton west, you can bet that they will multiply with development, just like they have on Harbourfront.

In the context of transit city I think LRT was the right choice, but the more I think about the labour costs and speed issues on a line that is already 80% underground the more I think Skytrain may have been appropriate for Eglinton.

Lastly, the discussion so far has been about how it looks, and not enough about how it sounds. Vancouver's Skytrain works well because the trains are light and don't make a lot of noise. The Dundas West-Keele segments, and the Castle Frank segment for that matter, work poorly because the B-D is heavy rail and trains are loud. Smarttrack certainly sounds like it will be "heavy" (and noisy) technology. I don't think people on Indian Road will tell you that it's a picnic living next to that open section. Nor would I want to live next to Chicago's EL, no matter how funky it is to enjoy as a tourist.

- Paul

This is really more a function of maintenance and curve radii. SkyTrain is noisy in sections with sharp curves too. Smart Track would run on existing railroad ROWs, which have noise barriers or are isolated.

Anyone who's driven on Spadina, St Clair and Eglinton through Etobicoke knows which roads are fast and which are slow regarding traffic signals.

Spadina & St Clair you're constantly stopped by traffic lights every 100-200m, even with no traffic.
Suburban Eglinton you're making good speed in your car (with no traffic), and many of the lights give Eglinton green most of the time because it's a major road intersecting a small road, not to mention they're far apart. Scarlett Rd to Royal York for example is 1.2km without traffic lights. The other major intersections only have one minor traffic signal between. Everything else is grass with very few driveways onto the road.

If anybody's unfamiliar, take quick a look on Google maps Satellite view. This would be one of the fastest roads for private ROW transit.

I just don't think traffic lights "will multiply with development" on a street like Eglinton West. It would be very expensive and disruptive to the transit line to add an additional traffic light. Where would you build these traffic lights? Currently it's mostly empty fields, but they aren't going to allow adding traffic lights at every plaza entrance in order slow transit down. You'd have to shut down the transit light to rebuild the ROW, since it'll be up on a high curb to prevent cars from entering. It certainly hasn't stopped many cities around the world from implement at-grade transit that's fast & reliable.

I don't think there are "extravagant efforts" to argue for elevated rail. It seems it's mostly simple Streetview of well-landscaped concrete guideways in Europe and Vancouver for the Pro side, and pictures of Chicago, NYC, and India for the Against.

And Aquateam makes some good points, particularly regarding maintenance. SOG is a big factor when it comes to noise of outdoor sections of rail. But apparently even for underground sections too: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/09/26/bad_vibrations_on_the_bloor_subway_line.html

I don't think there are "extravagant efforts" to argue for elevated rail. It seems it's mostly simple Streetview of well-landscaped concrete guideways in Europe and Vancouver for the Pro side, and pictures of Chicago, NYC, and India for the Against.

And Aquateam makes some good points, particularly regarding maintenance. SOG is a big factor when it comes to noise of outdoor sections of rail. But apparently even for underground sections too: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/09/26/bad_vibrations_on_the_bloor_subway_line.html

I live right above the Yonge Line in a basement apartment north of Eglinton. Moved in in 2011 and the switching to the newer trains made the sound a LOT more tolerable. I can actually tell when a T1 train goes through the tunnel, they sound much louder.

Ironically my landlord lived in my apartment in the 1980's, right after the line was built and he was amazed we could hear the subway at all.

He said you couldn't even hear it when he lived there, so I assume its progressively gotten worse over the years, but the newer wheels and better axles of the new subway trains has mitigated the situation somewhat.

Perhaps when the Bloor line gets the TR trains it will help too

Ah - a 4-track storage area. Fair enough. It didn't include any vehicles.

Speaking about storage, where in the blazes are the SmartTrack vehicles going to be stored? I don't remember storage being mentioned in Tory's plans. I know GO has Willowbrook Yard, and is building the GO East Rail Maintenance Facility located in Whitby. GO RER is projected to be completed in 10 years, while SmartTrack is to be completed in 7. For SmartTrack to be functional, it needs a maintenance/storage yard, meaning electrification along the Lakeshore West line to Willowbrook or East to Whitby MUST be completed in the timeframe of 7 years, not 10. I may have missed information on this, but it seems pretty important, and I havent heard anything.

Speaking about storage, where in the blazes are the SmartTrack vehicles going to be stored? I don't remember storage being mentioned in Tory's plans. I know GO has Willowbrook Yard, and is building the GO East Rail Maintenance Facility located in Whitby. GO RER is projected to be completed in 10 years, while SmartTrack is to be completed in 7. For SmartTrack to be functional, it needs a maintenance/storage yard, meaning electrification along the Lakeshore West line to Willowbrook or East to Whitby MUST be completed in the timeframe of 7 years, not 10. I may have missed information on this, but it seems pretty important, and I havent heard anything.
With a multi-billion budget, and a lot of vacant industrial land along the corridor, this is just a detail.

With a multi-billion budget, and a lot of vacant industrial land along the corridor, this is just a detail.
In one of the Metrolinx documents, it was suggested that a big priority would be to electricify Lakeshore East to Whitby for the SmartTrack trains.

Back