News   Apr 15, 2024
 900     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 644     0 

Sherway (Greenfield South) Power Plant

Let's see how the residents react if 100 wind turbines are installed in the neighbourhood - that is almost the equivalent of the the one power plant being built, and no emissions!

Wind turbine output varies based on location. Offshore turbine will generate vastly greater amount of electricity than onshore turbine for example.

But wind is no alternative to gas anyways. Only alternatives are coal and hydro. Seems like gas is the best choice.

Just curious....why 2km? What is it that people are afraid of here that will affect people 300 m away but not people 2km away.....what is the science?

Is this a serious question?

Placing energy-generating facilities in densely populated areas isn't "just wrong" - it's a necessity. We can't dump everything unsightly or inconvenient out on rural Ontario. "Place it at Nanticoke" - I'm sure if you lived in Nanticoke this wouldn't be a problem? Yep, no wonder there is such an urban-rural divide.

Re: Naticoke, its unfortunate for the people of Naticoke that their city was chosen as the site for the super plant. However, it just logical that you would place something that has a negative impact in a location with 20,000 people as opposed to a location that has a million. The need of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Beside they didn't 'just' single out Naticoke. There are other places called Lambton, Lennox, Atiltokan, Thunder Bay and Wesleyville (lucky for them theirs was canceled) which shared the same fate. Oh and as mentioned, before Naticoke there was the previous record holder for the largest coal station in North America (probably the world as well) called Lakeview. I guess they weren't thinking about the concept of placing it in a more suitable location when it was built, though perhaps Mississauga wasn't nearly as populated as it is now. Hell, they'd probably have built Lakeview as big as Naticoke if they realized how much power they were going to need. In any case point still stands. However...

The CO2 pollution that this power plant will generate is akin to putting 50,000 cars on the roads of the GTA, and this is just at 25% yearly operating capacity. The Portlands EC has been operating at +50%. For you to reason that it's OK to NIMBY against Box Stores or Highways, which probably may or may not have the same impact, is just simply mind boggling.

I think you need to step back and realize that we're talking about a natural gas power plant here. Your talking about this place as if its a typical dirty coal power plant. If it was, I would be in complete agreement with you. But there is a BIG difference between coal and natural gas power plants in terms of the emissions they release. To begin with natural gas plants produces on average half as much CO2 as coal per unit of power. In addition a plant such as this results in a reduction of nitrogen oxides emissions by more than 90%, sulphur dioxide emissions by 99.5% and mercury emissions by 100% vs one of OPG's typical coal power plants. (http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/fs12.pdf) page 19 the NOx is Which is in line with the numbers on the report; 9.6% for the NOx and SOx 0.8% vs coal.

Now, getting back to the CO2. The concern about CO2 emissions have always been about its contribution to global warming and not about any health effects, even though its released in enormous quantities across the globe. This 45,000 car's worth of CO2 is an amount that would be released into the atmosphere regardless of where the plant is located, and so in that sense it obviously makes no difference.

Now lets talk about CO2 in detail here. It is not encountered at concentrations which could pose a danger in an outside environment. Even at 1% concentrations, which is ridiculously high and again would never be encountered outdoors for any prolonged period of time, (that is unless there are people out there that like to put their heads directly over top of a smoke stack :rolleyes:) the worst it'll do to you is make you feel drowsy. Its non carcinogenic and doesn't have any long term toxic effects, in fact every breath we exhale contains 4-5% CO2. Now exposure to higher levels over prolonged periods of time can become dangerous but is only a concern in non-ventilated areas, something that obviously can't happen outside even standing beside the one of these plants for any length of time. Therefore the only real localized concern is in regards to the 20 tonnes of Sulphur Oxides, 84 tonnes of Nitrous Oxides + Minimal levels of Mercury. Compared to 17,600 tonnes of SOx and 8,320 tonnes of NOx, and 83 kg of mercury that Lakeview was pumping out per year. In fact even with this plant one km away from you you'll probably be exposed to less pollution from it than the 250MW of production that it will displace from coal power plants across the province, such as Naticoke 100km away!
Those oxides are obviously not as benign as CO2 but relatively speaking as mentioned above those amounts(in a year) are not very high even if you were to double them. Considering how much they get diluted once they enter the atmosphere. Mercury is by far the most serious concern and can be dangerous in very low amounts. It would naturally be my primary concern. But as I understand it, the amount emitted by this type of power plant is essentially negligible, we are talking about a reduction of basically 100%. As they mention on pg 26 of the report "The total absence of mercury emissions" & "pipeline quality
natural gas carries essentially no mercury or other heavy metals, both of which have been of concern with coal-fired facilities" It'll probably really be a reduction of 99.999% or so. Which again, would mean the amount released is negligible.

Having said all that, I'm fairly certain they you were aware of all of this, at least to some degree. So I don't quite understand why you are so opposed to it. In fact there's a good chance that your house, if you reside in one, burns the very same gas to provide heating for your home that this plant will use. As would a high portion of the thousands of other homes surrounding you. All very much closer to you than this plant could possibly be. Yet I don't hear you or any other NIMBY's EVER complain about those emissions.

The amount of people that live within 1 km of the plant does not appear to be very high. You have approx. 6 city blocks south of the Queensway and approx. 6 blocks north of the plant that is within that km. There is one mid rise and a few townhouses but mostly its just single detected homes. Now, start getting closer than that and yes I'd start to get a little concerned but I honestly believe I still wouldn't be completely opposed to it. Within about a 1/2 km you have just 63 houses on Coram Cres.
(Edit* According to the report there are 27 detached and 70 semi-detached homes on Coram Crescent and 2 detached homes on Loreland Avenue. Google Earth must not be up to date.) Oh yeah and that one dude with a house south of the tracks :confused: Why they ever allowed for any of those homes to be built in what obviously seems like an industrial-use only area I will never understand.
Meanwhile this plant will support the electrical needs of about 150,000 people. If you live on Coram, I'm sorry but I feel this facility is necessary to provide that many people with relatively clean localized power.

Last edited:
True, but those industrial uses (from what I can tell, perhaps I'm wrong) seem to be limited to warehouses, distribution centres, workshops, and maybe some small factories. A pollution emitting gas power plant is a totally different animal.

Umm, not sure if you noticed but on Tonolli rd. just off Dixie there is a large factory with its distinctive brick and blue painted smokestacks. Its pretty obvious to anyone driving down Dixie rd, one of the main streets in the area that this is a heavy industrial use, type of facility.

Just did a little bit of research... http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=139644_Tonolli_Canada_Ltd_Mississauga_ON
Turns out this place may be a "Primary Smelting and Refining of Nonferrous Metals" and they deal with Lead Alloys. This facility is just about as far away from residential areas, except for that one street, as the gas power plant. Personally I'd be much more worried about living close to an industrial smelter of any kind and a place that deals with lead (although there are lead alloys which are safe).
Perhaps its no longer in operation, but clearly this proves that this area does have a history of some heavy industrial facilities and personally I feel a gas fired power plant is much more benign in comparison.

In addition you have CP major east-west mainline - the Galt sub. which cuts through the area. Anyone who purchases a house near a busy rail line like that must be willing to ecept a significant source of of noise and air pollution in their lives. Also diesel fumes, unlike the pollution emitted by burning natural gas, are classified as 'probably carcinogenic to humans'.

Having your eggs in one basket related to hydro, is a blackout waiting to happen. With these mini power plants, you are taking an area off the grid line to the point if a major outage takes place, these plants can continue to keep power flowing to those areas.

I agree with what you are saying, but the grid needs to wired to work that way which during the black out it did not seem to be. There was an area close to a power plant that didn't have power while it was running but area's farther away from any power plants did. Perhaps they've made the necessary changes however.

It could have been a lot worse - and this would have been mitigated if there was any generation capacity with the city of Montreal.

Does Montreal not have any localized sources of power generation? If not, that's incredibly stupid. It would obviously be a good idea in case of a total failure of the transmission system. However, I can understand why they wouldn't need to build more than what was needed to provide essential services with power. They have no need for gas power plants when they have a vast supply of very cheap and plentiful hydro electric power in the northern part of the province. To supply a city the size of Montreal with its incredibly high power demands during one of those cold freezes you'd need about oh, 30 of these power plants and that's just for the core not the metro. So it wouldn't make any sense, especially not when you'll only be using them for an event that probably happens at most once ever 10 years.

Last edited:
Does Montreal not have any localized sources of power generation?
Offhand, the closest I can think of is at the Gentilly power station near Bécancour, about half way between Montreal and Quebec, where there's a nuclear reactor and a gas turbine. I can't think of anything on the island itself ... though now I think about it, there must be some hydro somewhere along the river ... but I can't think where it would feed into the grid.

Yeah I've heard of the Gentilly power station but as you said its half way between Montreal and Quebec, so its not localized. According to this list they don't have any generation on the St. Lawrence itself;
http://www.hydroquebec.com/generation/centrale-hydroelectrique.html
Don't know where some of those rivers are, maybe some of them are close to the city? But all the big plants are up north.
Doesn't seem like they have any major generation close to the city :eek:

edit* nvm French is not one of my specialties :rolleyes:
You were right, Beauharnois is on the "Fleuve Saint-Laurent" and its really close to Montreal. Its a large plant too, almost 2000MW
Carillon is close as well, that's another 750MW

And wiki has even more info;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hydroelectric_stations_in_Quebec
Apparently they DO have a large Gas-Turbine facility close to the city, just as the GTA. Bécancour produces 411MW and the nearest neighborhood is about 1.7km away, less than 2k, which will probably decrease as the city expands.

Last edited:
Re: Naticoke, its unfortunate for the people of Naticoke that their city was chosen as the site for the super plant. However, it just logical that you would place something that has a negative impact in a location with 20,000 people as opposed to a location that has a million. The need of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Beside they didn't 'just' single out Naticoke. There are other places called Lambton, Lennox, Atiltokan, Thunder Bay and Wesleyville (lucky for them theirs was canceled) which shared the same fate. Oh and as mentioned, before Naticoke there was the previous record holder for the largest coal station in North America (probably the world as well) called Lakeview. I guess they weren't thinking about the concept of placing it in a more suitable location when it was built, though perhaps Mississauga wasn't nearly as populated as it is now. Hell, they'd probably have built Lakeview as big as Naticoke if they realized how much power they were going to need. In any case point still stands.

Agreed. Good points and observations.

I think you need to step back and realize that we're talking about a natural gas power plant here. Your talking about this place as if its a typical dirty coal power plant. If it was, I would be in complete agreement with you. But there is a BIG difference between coal and natural gas power plants in terms of the emissions they release. To begin with natural gas plants produces on average half as much CO2 as coal per unit of power. In addition a plant such as this results in a reduction of nitrogen oxides emissions by more than 90%, sulphur dioxide emissions by 99.5% and mercury emissions by 100% vs one of OPG's typical coal power plants. (http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/fs12.pdf) page 19 the NOx is Which is in line with the numbers on the report; 9.6% for the NOx and SOx 0.8% vs coal.

I will agree with you on the emissions when compared to coal. Keep in mind that many of these new and proposed “mini” plants are built to burn both Natural Gas, and Number 2 Fuel Oil. If you read the ERR, the Greenfield South plant was originally supposed to burn oil, up to a maximum of 10% yearly hours. In the ERR, they based their emission figures at a 96/4 Natural Gas:Fuel Oil ratio.
However, what you fail to account for are the things that you don’t see coming out of the smokestack.

You’re not accounting for the pollution associated with extracting, and transporting the natural gas. When natural gas is extracted from the ground, some methane, and other gasses get also released, during gas well ventilation. And that’s of course in addition to gas leakage from loose fittings, cracks in pipes, etc. When you combine all of these factors, according to new EPA research, natural gas could be only 25% or less cleaner than coal. Methane as you know is one of the most potent greenhouse gasses. I’m also sure you’re aware about the debate over fracking – the non-environmentally sound way of extracting natural gas, which is done in many states south of the border.

Now, getting back to the CO2. The concern about CO2 emissions have always been about its contribution to global warming and not about any health effects, even though its released in enormous quantities across the globe. This 45,000 car's worth of CO2 is an amount that would be released into the atmosphere regardless of where the plant is located, and so in that sense it obviously makes no difference.

Completely disagree. Studies have shown that localized CO2 emissions contribute to smog, which in turn causes health problems. See the Stanford University study by Mark Jacobson.
Now lets talk about CO2 in detail here. It is not encountered at concentrations which could pose a danger in an outside environment. Even at 1% concentrations, which is ridiculously high and again would never be encountered outdoors for any prolonged period of time, (that is unless there are people out there that like to put their heads directly over top of a smoke stack :rolleyes:) the worst it'll do to you is make you feel drowsy. Its non carcinogenic and doesn't have any long term toxic effects, in fact every breath we exhale contains 4-5% CO2. Now exposure to higher levels over prolonged periods of time can become dangerous but is only a concern in non-ventilated areas, something that obviously can't happen outside even standing beside the one of these plants for any length of time.

I’m aware of this, and I don’t think I mentioned that CO2 as a gas itself is a health issue for anyone.

Therefore the only real localized concern is in regards to the 20 tonnes of Sulphur Oxides, 84 tonnes of Nitrous Oxides + Minimal levels of Mercury. Compared to 17,600 tonnes of SOx and 8,320 tonnes of NOx, and 83 kg of mercury that Lakeview was pumping out per year. In fact even with this plant one km away from you you'll probably be exposed to less pollution from it than the 250MW of production that it will displace from coal power plants across the province, such as Naticoke 100km away!

When you compare coal vs. natural gas – it’s an obvious no brainer.

Lakeview was shut down in 2005. We’ve had no pollution from the Lakeview plant in the GTA airshed for 6 years. Ontario has been exporting more power than it has been importing, as our power consumption has dropped. We really don’t need this plant.

As they mention on pg 26 of the report "The total absence of mercury emissions" & "pipeline quality. natural gas carries essentially no mercury or other heavy metals, both of which have been of concern with coal-fired facilities" It'll probably really be a reduction of 99.999% or so. Which again, would mean the amount released is negligible.

Keep in mind, the ERR was prepared by Eastern Power, which owns Greenfield South, the company building the plant. The Toronto Medical Officer of Health raised some pretty good questions regarding the ERR (link provided in first post)

Having said all that, I'm fairly certain they you were aware of all of this, at least to some degree. So I don't quite understand why you are so opposed to it. In fact there's a good chance that your house, if you reside in one, burns the very same gas to provide heating for your home that this plant will use. As would a high portion of the thousands of other homes surrounding you. All very much closer to you than this plant could possibly be. Yet I don't hear you or any other NIMBY's EVER complain about those emissions.

I’m guilty as charged. That being said, I am looking at converting the home for geothermal heating once my high efficiency NG furnace starts acting up.

I used to live 3 km's away from a similar plant and I did not have issues with it. Nor would I if I was within a kilometer of this type of plant. In any case the amount of people that live within 1 km of the plant does not appear to be very high. You have approx. 6 city blocks south of the Queensway and approx. 6 blocks north of the plant that is within that km. There is one mid rise and a few townhouses but mostly its just single detected homes. Now, start getting closer than that and yes I'd start to get a little concerned but I honestly believe I still wouldn't be completely opposed to it. Within about a 1/2 km you have just 63 houses on Coram Cres.

(Edit* According to the report there are 27 detached and 70 semi-detached homes on Coram Crescent and 2 detached homes on Loreland Avenue. Google Earth must not be up to date.) Oh yeah and that one dude with a house south of the tracks :confused: Why they ever allowed for any of those homes to be built in what obviously seems like an industrial-use only area I will never understand.

The area around the plant was built up mostly in the 60’s. Obviously people had less of a concern for the environment at that point than they do now. Another thing to note, the plant smokestack is 40 meters high. The condos are much taller than that. Particulate matter and other contaminants will blow into the condos, when the wind decides to blow in a certain direction.

Meanwhile this plant will support the electrical needs of about 150,000 people. If you live on Coram, I'm sorry but I feel this facility is necessary to provide that many people with relatively clean localized power.

I don’t live on Coram – I’m in Alderwood.

I’m sorry, but if you think that locating power plants in urban centres is a wise idea, you haven’t provided any sound reasons or benefits to support that.

If we are to build these peaker NG plants, we should place them in areas where the least amount of people will be affected.

For the greater good – right?

Thanks for replying though :)

Agreed. Good points and observations.

I’m sorry, but if you think that locating power plants in urban centres is a wise idea, you haven’t provided any sound reasons or benefits to support that.

If we are to build these peaker NG plants, we should place them in areas where the least amount of people will be affected.

Thanks for replying though :)

People have provided many sound reasons why urban areas should have power plants (as they pretty much ALWAYS HAVE) but you're just blind to it. Read the forum again sir.

People have busted this myth on this three times over. Benefits include lower transmission costs, less transmission loss, more efficient generation, a more comprehensive grid, less risk of regionalized outages, and less wasted resources associated with maintaining the grid, all while busting chops on the fact that, really, the actual environmental and health cost of this plant will be minimal on the surrounding area.

So, really, the only reason for opposing this plant is because it is near you. So much for the greater good eh?

Maybe we should move those highways too, out to the burbs, there are more people there and heck they produce more pollution than the plant. Greater good, right? Oh, wait, those are convenient for you! BMO field too, put it in Newmarket, the team doesn't HAVE to play in Toronto, we can bus people out there because it has gotta be annoying for people in Liberty Village to get their area taken over and pissed on by drunk people once a week for 7 months. Oh wait, that's convenient for you! The bus lines in the west west end are huge money losers and produce pollution, cut em. Greater good, right? Oh wait, convenient for you! Heck, all transit, money loser, only taken by the minority. Greater good, right?

How about Stelco, Dofasco? What are they doing in an urban area? The club district? Put that in an industrial area, in Vaughan. It's offending the local residents. The Ford plant is pretty close to lots of Oakville houses. Howabout the west-end stockyards? Forget Nanticoke and it's 500 000 plus population airshead, that gas-fired plant should be in Moosonee. Or better yet, Quebec or Ohio. Greater good, right? Let's agree to divert Lake Michigan to make up for failing midwest aquifers, sure it'll screw us up but population-wise it definitely works for the greater good for North America at large, right?

It never ends. And that you don't get that, or just don't care, is a sad, shocking indictment of the blindness that self-interest can bring.

By your measure, nothing potentially offensive to your sensibility should not be in the city. You moved right beside an industrial area. What did you expect would get developed there?

Maybe the problem isn't the location, maybe it is your own expectations?

Nimby nimby nimby nimby nimby

Last edited:
To begin with, I'd like to likewise thank you for reading through my post and responding to it.

I will agree with you on the emissions when compared to coal. Keep in mind that many of these new and proposed “mini” plants are built to burn both Natural Gas, and Number 2 Fuel Oil. If you read the ERR, the Greenfield South plant was originally supposed to burn oil, up to a maximum of 10% yearly hours. In the ERR, they based their emission figures at a 96/4 Natural Gas:Fuel Oil ratio.
However, what you fail to account for are the things that you don’t see coming out of the smokestack.

Yes that's true, the amount and composition of pollutants would change if they use more fuel oil than expected. However, while I don't have any available figures, I'd imagine that a even a 6% increase in fuel oil use per year for a plant this size would not result in any kind of dramatic increase that would suddenly make it a widespread health hazard. There are more concerns with burning fuel oil in general as opposed to NG(natural gas) but much depends on the efficiency of combustion and the filtration processes used on the exhaust fumes. In any case as far as I am aware Ontario has access to an abundant supply of LNG (http://www.uniongas.com/aboutus/aboutng/ngqa.asp) from western Canada. This plant and others like it are designed to run most efficiently and economically using NG. Barring any unforeseen circumstance, which they have probably attempted to account for, there is no reason to believe that they would exceed the specified use of fuel oil.

You’re not accounting for the pollution associated with extracting, and transporting the natural gas. When natural gas is extracted from the ground, some methane, and other gasses get also released, during gas well ventilation. And that’s of course in addition to gas leakage from loose fittings, cracks in pipes, etc. When you combine all of these factors, according to new EPA research, natural gas could be only 25% or less cleaner than coal. Methane as you know is one of the most potent greenhouse gasses. I’m also sure you’re aware about the debate over fracking – the non-environmentally sound way of extracting natural gas, which is done in many states south of the border.

Yes I have not taken that into consideration in this discussion because those emissions will not dramatically impact the air quality in Mississauga. Most certainly no where near to the degree that the coal power plants in this province would. I am aware that Methane is one of the most potent greenhouse gases, certainly far more potent than CO2. But this discussion is not about global warming. Also, as other have pointed out, your position does not seem to be against NG plants outright, only the placement of such.

Completely disagree. Studies have shown that localized CO2 emissions contribute to smog, which in turn causes health problems. See the Stanford University study by Mark Jacobson.

I’m aware of this, and I don’t think I mentioned that CO2 as a gas itself is a health issue for anyone.

It seemed to me that you were basing your position primarily out of concern on the CO2 emissions. In regards to that study, the suggestion is that atmospheric heating due to elevated levels of CO2's results in a greater level of pollutants in the air. We're all aware of the need to reduced our production of CO2. It a complicated issue and I'm not going to get into that for the sake of this discussion. I will say that considering the circumstances and available options I do agree with Ontario's decision to build a few NG power plants to supply peak load generation capacity. Had this plant been placed on the outskirts of the GTA, where you would like it to be, it would still be contributing to the overall level of CO2 regionally. From a localized perspective, other than local roadways and the nearby major highways, which are a far larger sources of emissions yet you don't hear anyone clamoring to remove them altogether, there are no other large sources of CO2. South-Eastern Mississauga and Southern Etobicoke are not comparable to LA. In any case, when in operation, this plant will 'put back' into the air 1/10th of the reduction we saw from the closure of Lakeview(based on Lakeview operating at 50% capacity -1200MW its maximum during its final years and with coal emitting approx. twice as as much CO2 per unit of energy produced).

Another thing to note, the plant smokestack is 40 meters high. The condos are much taller than that. Particulate matter and other contaminants will blow into the condos

Smokestack plums are highly varible and don't just stay at one specified height. Also your claims of particulate matter are unfounded, as this type of NG power plant produces negligible amounts.
Secondly there is but one large condo development which can be considered nearby that is taller than this stack. That would be the condominium development just south of Sherway Garden's, one kilometer from the plant. By the time the exhaust reaches any other highrises which are several times farther, it will be largely defused. As for those who live at Sherway, if they are truly concerned about this plant then I must ask them this; why did they chose to live at such a location in the first place? Considering their complex is practically built on top of a highway which is used by almost 200,000 vehicles per day. Not to mention there is another one nearby which has over 320,000 users per day. (http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/techpubs/TrafficVolumes.nsf/tvweb?OpenForm&Seq=9) A large portion of each of those counts would be duplicates but even in the lowest case we're talking about emissions from around 400,000 vehicles. Factoring in local streets its probably in the area of 450,000 vehicles, or ten times the amount that this plant will add to the local air(CO2 only). The plant is also farther away than these road ways are. But more importantly, NG burns much cleaner than gasoline. Would a 1%, or even a 10% increase in the amount of pollutants that these residents are currently exposed to, suddenly exceed some threshold of what is acceptable? I think not.

I’m guilty as charged. That being said, I am looking at converting the home for geothermal heating once my high efficiency NG furnace starts acting up.

I am glad you are taking the intuitive. It would be great if more people would, which is part of the problem. You may be willing to switch but how many other people in your neighborhood are? I'd imagine hardly a handful.

Lakeview was shut down in 2005. We’ve had no pollution from the Lakeview plant in the GTA airshed for 6 years. Ontario has been exporting more power than it has been importing, as our power consumption has dropped. We really don’t need this plant.

For base load no, for peak loads yes. Excluding coal power, which we do not want to depend on and wind power, which is not guaranteed to always be available and therefor shouldn't be factored into calculations on maximum available power, Ontario has about 29,000MW of installed generation capacity. (http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/media/md_supply.asp) Wind would add 1,334MW, less than 5%.

Of course its a rarity that this is the actually amount that is available at any given time due to planned and unplanned outages. Aside from that, the system is capable of importing 4800MW. At first glance it would seem that these figures would indicate that Ontario currently has a sufficient supply of electricity. Considering the typical warm summer day results in a usage figure in the low 20,000's. However, our record, established on Aug 1 2006 is 27005 MW. Which is 93% of that 29,000 figure. Since the 2006 Ontario has added 5672MW of capacity, 4733MW of which from NG plants alone. (http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/media/md_supply.asp). That would mean the maximum available capacity in 2006, excluding coal and not included any outages, was little over 23,000MW. But what of the 4800MW import capacity? (which may have been less back then). Well this record was established in a heat wave, its not like Ontario is an island, undoubtedly those exporters were effected by the heat wave and in all likely hood would of only had a faction of that amount available for exportation. All of which is precisely why Ontario had to rely on increased coal powered generation during those hot summer days and during the cold winter ones as well. The type of generation that would release the same amount of pollutants(SOx, NOx) in a single day(for a single plant like Lakeview) as what Greenfield south will in a year. The government obviously does not want to go down that route nor would we want them to. Again there is no guarantee how much power we can imports during a regional heat or cold wave. All of which explains precisely why they had to add that 4733MW of electricity to the grid in the form of reliable and quick starting NG power plants for peak load generation.

Yes, power use has declined somewhat since those record days, but how much of that can we really attribute to conservation measures, as opposed to the state of the economy? The simple facts are; Ontario is growing, people are slow to implement conservation measures, coal power is to be avoided at all costs and this province came dangerously close to over usage blackouts in the past. I'm sure the government was pretty scared when the available capacity was getting into the high 90's%. They obviously don't want a repeat. I'm not an expert on exactly how much generation we need, but I trust the governments figures. If they say we need this plant, then we need it. The budget makes it so that it wouldn't be in their best interest to lie about that. They wouldn't spend money on a power plant if they didn't need to. There's nothing 'sexy' about it. Its likely to cost you votes, but only a fraction as many as rolling blackouts would.

But generating capacity is only one side of the picture. What good would is it to have 29,000MW of generating capacity when you can't get it to the places that need it most?
Which brings us to;

When it comes to the ridiculous amounts of pollution spewed out by the plants of yesterday, most definitely. But there is no comparison to these plants. The reason of course why these plants are needed inside the GTA is because the transmission grid was overload. As noted here; http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/pubs/marketReports/ORO_Report-Dec2009.pdf pg 7. Which also paints a very good picture of how the transmission grid is set up and what improvements are need.

Most of the hydro corridors in the GTA are heavily built in. In order to add additional transmission capacity, massive upgrades would be required and expropriation would be necessary. Portland's and Greenfield south are located at ideal locations where they can provide the most help in reducing the overall strain on the transmission grid. Your prefers solution would result in forcing people out of their homes. Extensive construction work, which would result in creating localized sources of hazardous air polluting (diesel fumes from construction equipment) and significant amounts of noise pollution. Would you be okay with this? I suppose only if its not in your neighborhood :rolleyes: But most importantly, the costs of a couple of relatively small combined cycle LNG power plants are a fraction of what it would be to widen the GTA's hydro right-of-ways and build miles of hydro towers. That money, which the government clearly does not have, would be differed from other government programs, be it health care, transit, education, etc. All just to displace a comparatively small amount of pollutants. Its seem to me that those opposed to the plant are largely ignorant of the reasons for it.

My suggestion to you and by no means am I being sarcastic, is that perhaps the next time you move it would be wise to examine the area for local transmission grids. Besides, as I've mentioned before, this plant is zoned in an industrial area which has been the site of heavy industries previously/currently re; the smelter of some type on Tonolli rd. The quantity of pollutants from that facility may be far less, but the type may be far more dangerous.

In any case, the plant is already well under construction. I'm not sure what you were attempting to do by starting this thread at this point. You have every right to be opposed to it. But taking everything into consideration, its quite obvious that your position is not supported by a majority and is hence, not "for the greater good".

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't understand protesting a natural gas power plant. Might as well protest people with natural gas stoves in their kitchen and natural gas furnaces. CO2 in an urban area, say it ain't so. We have been so good at keeping the breathers and their CO2 generating conveyances out of the city to this point.

Jarrek said:
I excluded nuclear, because technically it is a "fossil fuel", but an emissions free source of energy.

From the fossils of nuclear dinosaurs?

It doesn't say that at all. It says they will halt construction if they are re-elected.

That is how I read it.....so a candidate for the party that approved the project and set it underway, buys himself re-election by being the one to say he would stop it if elected and, let's be clear, buys that re-election with the chequebook of the rest of us because there are going to be costs to re-imburse and fees/penalties to be paid while, per the news release from the Liberals (who approved it then bought votes by cancelling it) "will work with Eastern “to find a new location for the plant.” "

So they acknowledge we need the plant, so it will be built in someone's neighbourhood....just not in this neighbourhood (a victory for NIMBYism) and will end up costing more than it should/could have because a government needed to buy a riding to keep governing. (the self same reason Oakville was cancelled.....or was it because right next door to the Ford plant was not industrial enough for a power plant either?).

Back