News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 657     1 

Sheraton Centre (123 Queen West, new windows & exterior repairs)

As said above, I also wish the Club Lounge was open to the public. Probably the best view of the financial district and the CN Tower i the city. I stayed at the Sheraton around three times. From the outside it looks like a dump, but the inside of the hotel is stunning. It just could use some fixing up!

A front page story is here.

Funny that i have had the same discussion with many on this forum regarding, the insulated double glazed energy saving windows being one of the reasons for the many proposed retro-fits on other structures planning on doing the same, they tell me its all nonsense...figure it

Makes me wonder if these individuals, no matter what....just dont want any of their favourite architecture touched:eek:

Towering Sheraton Centre Set for a Facelift
the high-end insulated glazing will assist with energy savings and reduce street noise for those inside.

We don't know if the new windows will look the same. Replacement windows often don't, so there's a concern. Until we know how the new windows will affect the overall look, people will wonder.

If they're just replacing windows and doing some facade restoration, then it's disappointing because the building's issues at sidewalk level are beyond aesthetics. Overall, I like the Sheraton Centre's architecture, but the architecture at street level is terrible. It's mostly anonymous windows and concrete walls for a long block on Queen Street, but also on the other side on Richmond Street, and on a block of York Street. All three facades fronting onto sidewalks should be redesigned at sidewalk level to engage passersby and better animate the streets with retail, restaurants and better connections with the amenities of the building like the 'grotto'. No one is ever going to walk this stretch of Queen Street attracted by few restored pieces of concrete cladding and shiny, anonymous windows. It takes retail and restaurants to do that, and that's precisely the experience that people should be able to have at a place like across from Nathan Phillips Square.

Last edited:
How disappointing. I think most of these posts echo the same sentiment. This building does the same thing to Queen and Adelaide Streets that Bernie Madoff did to Wall Street (figuratively speaking).

Actually I don't find it too disappointing - I'd be very concerned about the quality of any renovation that is already in construction stage if we haven't even heard a beep - much less seen a rendering -on here. Like seriously, would you want a marble and brass redo for a building like Sheraton?

AoD

Like seriously, would you want a marble and brass redo for a building like Sheraton?

AoD

It's already been sorta excusable-indulgencily done in the porte cochere and lobby.

And overall, as for more extensible potential "urbanizing" overhauls of the base--maybe that'll come later. Somehow, it seems to me that this present project has more to do with the actual hotel blocks than with what they sit on--one step at a time, folks, one step at a time. (Sometimes, UTers can get so impatient--this also goes for the folks who are ever-so-eager to eliminate parking lots and ramshackle retail strips right away, no matter how ill-thought-out or defective the proposed replacement is...)

Getting ready for their makeover

sheratonm28.jpg

Back