News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I can't imagine a single route diverting from Sheppard up Neilson to Malvern Centre, then returning back to Sheppard. That would add at least 10 minuntes to the trip between the Sheppard / MCowan subway station and the points east of Neilson. And then, a regular mixed-traffic all-stop bus that stays on Sheppard would be faster than the LRT.

Pretty sure that if the LRT operates on Sheppard, then Malvern Centre will be served by a branch. Definitely, there will be a branch that connects Malvern Centre to Sheppard / MCowan. I am not sure about other branch(es): Sheppard / MCowan to UTSC and Kennedy, or Malvern Centre to UTSC and Kennedy, or both of those.

This is definitely what was proposed.

Could it be the old SRT right of way that was reserved for a Malvern extension?

I really am not going to say what is being mused about at this stage; east of McCowan Station.

To be clear, I'm not involved in that conversation, just aware of it; and to call it preliminary is an understatement.

That said, various options are being looked at. For clarity, what's being bandied about is not likely to happen in the near term, and indeed the medium term is an open question.

Since this discussion is going in a loop, I'll repeat the "what about" concerning the huge and difficult to repurpose empty section of the rail yard located to the north-east.

View attachment 554019

What about it?

LOL

Repurposing it as a subway yard is an option, so is Wilson Yard if Sheppard is extended west.

There's also the matter of an as yet very theoretical HFR/HSR that will pass this yard in its routine runs.........

I sent an email to the Sheppard Extension Metrolinx email asking for updates on the next round of consultations. They haven't responded and it has been more than two weeks. At this point, I'm not even sure that it's being monitored.

I hope they go back to the plan to have the subway dive south to Scarborough Centre which is an urban growth centre and which gives connections to GO buses and Centennial College/UTSC...
1714445512875.png

... and find another way to service Malvern such as Scarborough East LRT or Finch East LRT.
1714445769100.png

I hope they go back to the plan to have the subway dive south to Scarborough Centre which is an urban growth centre and which gives connections to GO buses and Centennial College/UTSC...
View attachment 560155

... and find another way to service Malvern such as Scarborough East LRT or Finch East LRT.
View attachment 560156
I still don't see the huge benefit when we're gonna have a station at McCown n Sheppard with line 2 -bypassing there limits the crosstown possiblity of the Sheppard line

Tbh I'd be fine with either McCowan and Sheppard or Scarborough Town Centre. A one stop subway transfer isn't too bad imo. My only concern at this point is whether they are actually serious about this project to begin with or not, and I'm beginning to think that they might not be.

View attachment 560155

View attachment 560156
I like this plan if the province decides to go with LRT instead of subways. This could then be tied into the Eglinton east LRT extension creating a Scarborough loop connecting subway stops, Go stops, shopping centres, U of T, Centennial college and future TOC’s. Hopefully utilizing the existing east west RT infrastructure and station at the Town Centre. However if they decide on Subways it should travel along Sheppard to McCowan. The future eastward extension will be influenced by the operating success or failure of the Finch LRT and the Eglinton Crosstown. I would extend the subway west to the Allen and east to Victoria park as a first stage regardless.

I still don't see the huge benefit when we're gonna have a station at McCown n Sheppard with line 2 -bypassing there limits the crosstown possiblity of the Sheppard line
Eliminating transfers is the only thing that matters.

Doesn't matter if it makes the passenger experience worse (see also - the Milton GO bus), as long as we don't experience the horror of transferring everything else is all good.

I like this plan if the province decides to go with LRT instead of subways. This could then be tied into the Eglinton east LRT extension creating a Scarborough loop connecting subway stops, Go stops, shopping centres, U of T, Centennial college and future TOC’s. Hopefully utilizing the existing east west RT infrastructure and station at the Town Centre. However if they decide on Subways it should travel along Sheppard to McCowan. The future eastward extension will be influenced by the operating success or failure of the Finch LRT and the Eglinton Crosstown. I would extend the subway west to the Allen and east to Victoria park as a first stage regardless.
Having various major hubs where transit should serve speaks to the flexibility of a streetcar system. LRT is a modern variant of it, but something of these could work well in the area. The LRT lines could be anchored at one or more of the subway stations. I had always wondered what would happen if every major street had a streetcar/LRT line running the whole length. Doing it in pieces over time, starting with the most needed areas would be a good thing.

Why are we still talking about LRT's on Sheppard? That belongs in the fantasy thread.
It make sense for the line as the ridership is not there for a true subway, nor will be.

I have never supported the plan to STC nor every will as its a waste to service a few riders needs.

Either go back to the original plan extending the subway to Victoria Park and then LRT to the very east as well a branch line to Malvern or spend $500 million to convert the subway to LRT.

I cannot recall when I last drove west on Sheppard west of Yonge and one thing stood out for me that the line has to be underground to Bathurst as the street is too narrow for a surface line and no room for stations. Traffic would be a single lane only if surface was use and homes would have to be torn down where stations are to go as well having left turn lanes. Going west of Bathurst or about, you can return to the surface.

Have to go deep to get under the creek.

Back