News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 982     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 369     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

If you want to compare personal lives. Miller wins. It amazing how many voter can look past that personal stuff and focus on the issues

Keep in mind we live in one of the most multicultural Citys and to paint people with the brush of the the lowest common denominator in society is distracting from the real issues. But thats a different topic. If you are that polarized to believe that is why people voted for Ford and Tory I dont what to say.
Ford was a joke of a mayor.

Spent more time partying then doing his job.

I don't understand why conservatives always defend him.

If any other city worker had his track record of showing up late to work or not doing their job you people would be livid.

It amazing how many voter can look past that personal stuff and focus on the issues
Odd, because when you look at the issues, and the results in Scarborough, you can't go much further wrong than Ford. Scarborough would be further ahead now, if Ford hadn't tried to change the plans, then it will be in 10 more years, with the latest deferments. Possibly they get 3 more stations for $6 billion in the 2030s, after closing 5 in the 2020s ... but so massively worse than what was planned in 2010 - but even that requires a unique event, a Ford to actually deliver a transit promise.

Doug Ford is a travesty for transit in Scarborough, just like his brother Rob. I'm baffled how anyone who professes to support transit, supports such gross idiocy and incompetence on the is sues. And that ignores the personal stuff!

Toronto and Ontarians fall easy prey to slimy salesmen of Rob and Doug. The Fords did a con-job on Scarborough residents by making the subway a wedge issue and making Scarborough feel inferior because they were getting LRT instead of a subway like Vaughan and now Richmond Hill will get. This will be a hard lesson to those in Scarborough, you voted with anger in spite of yourselves and the results are what you get.

Odd, because when you look at the issues, and the results in Scarborough, you can't go much further wrong than Ford. Scarborough would be further ahead now, if Ford hadn't tried to change the plans, then it will be in 10 more years, with the latest deferments. Possibly they get 3 more stations for $6 billion in the 2030s, after closing 5 in the 2020s ... but so massively worse than what was planned in 2010 - but even that requires a unique event, a Ford to actually deliver a transit promise.

Doug Ford is a travesty for transit in Scarborough, just like his brother Rob. I'm baffled how anyone who professes to support transit, supports such gross idiocy and incompetence on the is sues. And that ignores the personal stuff!

The Fords, by far, are the worst thing to happen to Toronto transit in modern Toronto history.

Say what you will about Miller, but one of his subway lines is already up and running, and the Eglinton Crosstown was under construction shortly after he left office. On top of that, he improved bus service, implemented new revenue tools and was successful in increasing funding from upper levels of government.

After nearly a decade of "Conservative" mayors there isn't a single line anywhere close to being under construction.

Too bad Miller didn't stick around for another term - Scarborough would be enjoying a terrific new LRT line, if not two.

Toronto and Ontarians fall easy prey to slimy salesmen of Rob and Doug. The Fords did a con-job on Scarborough residents by making the subway a wedge issue and making Scarborough feel inferior because they were getting LRT instead of a subway like Vaughan and now Richmond Hill will get. This will be a hard lesson to those in Scarborough, you voted with anger in spite of yourselves and the results are what you get.

LOL, is this sarcasm? As if the NDP (you know the only viable alternative to Ford there was in the election because the Liberals were toast province wide) were going to build Scarborough anything remotely close to an extension of the Bloor Danforth subway line. The forced transferring of trains at Kennedy would be a permanent fixture.

Scarborough is in no worse a position than it was a year ago. The Liberals had five whole years from 2013-2018 to make SSE reach the shovels-in-the-ground phase and all they did was twiddle their thumbs. Their timeline to completion was hollow, and ultimately an empty promise. By 2026 we'd still probably have had the SRT to contend with. So what you may view as reactionary on Scarborough's part, to me was a well deserved response.

Scarborough is in no worse a position than it was a year ago.

How can you honestly say that?

Ford took the project that was the closest to shovel ready and delayed it an additional 4 years. 2030 may as well be never. The SSE is essentially delayed indefinitely now.

If I was a Scarborough commuter I would be livid at this outcome.

The Ontario Line and Yonge North are more important to Ford. If those projects are delayed at all you can expect SSE to be pushed back even further.

Just to circle back to the thread topic, Sheppard is even further down the priority list.

This is the problem right here. Thank you Greg Sobara.

Ford took the project that was the closest to shovel ready and delayed it an additional 4 years. 2030 may as well be never. The SSE is essentially delayed indefinitely now.

The Ontario Line and Yonge North are more important to Ford. If those projects are delayed at all you can expect SSE to be pushed back even further.

Just to circle back to the thread topic, Sheppard is even further down the priority list.
We'll see, if in 2021 they are vulnerable in some Scarborough seats, this could be pushed up.

You're absolutely correct.

If it wasn't for the Fords, Scarborough would be enjoying a brand new rapid transit line right now. In fact, there would probably be an expansion being planned that's further ahead than the SSE is now.

@lead82 hit the nail on the head.

Last edited:

This is a very common line from those that don't actually live in Scarborough. Usually followed up with "I used to live there as a kid" or "I have relatives in Scarborough I visit"

Amazing stuff.
Really no shock why the City has it politics it has over the past decade

Scarborough has already received the real hard lessons with the mistake of the RT, and consecutive poorly detailed City transit proposals. The Province with any party in power will fare much better in the designs process than anything the City produced. Its those that desired to hack in transit the most that currently are and should have been realizing an increasingly hard lesson for some time now. No one lobbied harder for Doug Ford more than a handful of outer Scarborough uncompromising, spiteful councilors. Many were too stubborn to realize the damage and have made things even worse on everyone.

Whether its a single stop subway or poorly connected and implemented LRT this "take it or leave it" condescending attitude from those that don't live here be is the exact reason Scarborough voters will vote for Doug on transit to take infrastructure out of City planning. This is just the start of a real plan and an end of dysfunctional planning from the City.

Im sure it will be such a hard lesson seeing the results of a connected Centre just North York, Richmond Hill, and Vaughan. Sucks that its a couple decades late. But the subways connections will be built for various reasons at the Provincial level and the unfortunate delays were not enough reason for many talked over voters to accept the City collective corner cutting transit offerings.

Last edited:
There's plenty of people in scarborough who want lrt. Onecity has just taken it upon himself to speak for the entire borough while dismissing ho may disagree with him.
Agree - those from Scarborough did not oppose LRT.

26086-91069.jpg

What’s with all the debate about Subway vs LRT? I thought it was long been discussed that both have their merits and demerits, but the subway gets the majority praise since most people aren’t educated on the concept of the LRT(s). I believe this will improve when the Eglinton LRT opens, but at the end of the day, the vocal minority supporting the LRT are trying to beat the dead horse with ill educated people on plans that have not been sufficiently explained.

Back