News   Jun 21, 2024
 4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Well one of the questions would be does the Province have any long term ambition of extending the line into Pickering. If the answer is yes than option 2B would be better since it has a more direct route via Ellesmere and Kingston Road as well as hitting UTSC along the way. Option 2A would mean either routing the line south to Ellesmere from Sheppard or fighting with the feds and lord knows how many environmental groups to build the line through the Rouge. Now if there are no thoughts of one day bringing the line to Pickering than this discussion is moot.

What exactly would be the point of extending Line 4 to Pickering? Who exactly are they trying to serve that won't already be benefiting from numerous other services being put into place?

Would the costs associated of curving the tunnel be worth the savings?
They never questioned it in Montreal and replicated it at Snowdon Station after Lionel-Groulx. I think it's worth it, speeds up travel and less pedestrian congestion at stations such as Jean-Talon or Berri-UQAM.

Closer to home, would a 10 year - $1.5B expansion of Bloor-Yonge be necessary had they built it like Lionel-Groulx from the get go? That's why I don't hate the Spanish Solution at Sheppard-Yonge, once fully operational with the western extension, the bottleneck to line 1 should be fixed and improve the flow. That transfer during rush hour is really poor and that's for a 5 stop line...

Last edited:
What exactly would be the point of extending Line 4 to Pickering? Who exactly are they trying to serve that won't already be benefiting from numerous other services being put into place?
You could ask the same question about the extensions to Vaughan and Richmond Hill yet that cat is out of the bag.

They never questioned it in Montreal and replicated it at Snowdon Station after Lionel-Groulx. I think it's worth it, speeds up travel and less pedestrian congestion at stations such as Jean-Talon or Berri-UQAM. Closer to home, would a 10 year - $1.5B expansion of Bloor-Yonge be necessary had they built it like Lionel-Groulx from the get go?

A curved tunnel rules out extension of Line 4 to the East. It also rules out building those parallel transfers for any Sheppard East LRT..

Last edited:
You could ask the same question about the extensions to Vaughan and Richmond Hill yet that cat is out of the bag.

Vaughan is a tad sketchy. But at least with Richmond Hill, Yonge is mostly a continuous corridor till the 407. It makes sense to service it with continuous service. And Vaughan mostly functions as collector stations north of the 407. Going to Pickering via Sheppard is some next level meandering.

The subway extensions to Vaughan and Richmond Hill are dumb, but going to Pickering would be much dumber, because the city doesn't even form a continuous urban area with Toronto and to get the subway there it would have to pass through Rouge Park. So the question becomes, do you spoil the natural beauty of Rouge Park with some ugly concrete viaduct because Ford Nation failed to understand what the point of a subway is, or send it south around Rouge Hill GO and give this deeply dense street a full scale subway?

1718676801279.png

Then of course is the fact that there is basically nothing along Sheppard Avenue that would require a subway connection to Pickering. The handful of strip malls and plazas are not exactly trip generators,.

A curved tunnel rules out extension of Line 4 to the West. It also rules out building those parallel transfers for any Sheppard East LRT..
You mean extension to the east - maybe unless they are willing to go northeast to Malvern. I was never a fan of LRT east of McCowan, a proper BRT (the world class ones - Sheppard East is large enough for this) could take that ridership in my opinion. The province would rather pay more for a Sheppard subway than keep it simple so they can build more LRTs like Eglinton east of Don Mills (Eglinton West proves my point)

Why is extending Line 1 to the Langstaff GO going to make line 1 become more than crush loaded at peak times? That answer may be closer to why going to Pickering is appealing.

They never questioned it in Montreal and replicated it at Snowdon Station after Lionel-Groulx. I think it's worth it, speeds up travel and less pedestrian congestion at stations such as Jean-Talon or Berri-UQAM.

Closer to home, would a 10 year - $1.5B expansion of Bloor-Yonge be necessary had they built it like Lionel-Groulx from the get go? That's why I don't hate the Spanish Solution at Sheppard-Yonge, once fully operational with the western extension, the bottleneck to line 1 should be fixed and improve the flow. That transfer during rush hour is really poor and that's for a 5 stop line...

Need I remind you on the proven corruption of many public construction projects in Montreal?

Vaughan is a tad sketchy. But at least with Richmond Hill, Yonge is mostly a continuous corridor till the 407. It makes sense to service it with continuous service. And Vaughan mostly functions as collector stations north of the 407. Going to Pickering via Sheppard is some next level meandering.
To get to Union, it can be 2 subway rides, and much cheaper.

The subway extensions to Vaughan and Richmond Hill are dumb, but going to Pickering would be much dumber, because the city doesn't even form a continuous urban area with Toronto and to get the subway there it would have to pass through Rouge Park. So the question becomes, do you spoil the natural beauty of Rouge Park with some ugly concrete viaduct because Ford Nation failed to understand what the point of a subway is, or send it south around Rouge Hill GO and give this deeply dense street a full scale subway?

View attachment 573432

Then of course is the fact that there is basically nothing along Sheppard Avenue that would require a subway connection to Pickering. The handful of strip malls and plazas are not exactly trip generators,.
Yes which is why I said if the Province has any long term goal of connecting Pickering to the subway, than going along Ellesmere is the better option which means terminating Line 4 at STC instead of McCowan and Sheppard.

And? Do you have data proving that Snowdon and Lionel-Groulx were linked to those? Not the same type of contractors (roads vs subway tunnels/stations)

The corruption that we know of is due to the fact that it has been brought to light.No idea how deep it extends.

You know Pickering has a GO train that can take you directly to Union, right?
You know Langstaff has GO?

You know Langstaff has GO?
And you know I am not an advocate for the Yonge North line, right?

I cannot understand what possible value there would be in extending the subway across parkland to a city of 99k people that has a commuter train that can get someone to Union station in 42 minutes. It defies logic. It may be the most illogical idea ever proposed on this website. It takes almost half an hour for a train to travel just from Sheppard-Yonge to Union on line 1... why would anyone except for a subway foamer take this?

Back