News   Jun 27, 2024
 208     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 421     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 263     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

One more option, might be controversial:

- Subway from Sheppard West to Bayview
- LRT from Bayview to Sheppard & McCowan

This would effectively add one new subway stop at Bathurst & Sheppard, while building a more affordable LRT extension east Bayview.

Bayview? The subway already exists between Yonge and Don Mills; Bayview is in the middle of it.

Do you mean "Subway from Sheppard West to Victoria Park"? Not likely to happen either, but at least technically possible.

Less riders. If the subway goes straight to STC, then the station needs more development in my mind.

The attraction of living at Sheppard/McCowan is access to the subway. Whether there is one line or two doesn't substantially change what will get built there. Developers will build as many units at that intersection as they can get away with.

What is the envisioned maximum capacity for Wilson yard under the maximum length option?

@smallspy may know better than I............

But my recollection is that before the last expansion, which allowed for storing trains needed for Vaughan, there was consideration of adding 14 storage tracks (read storage for 14 full trains).

I believe only 8 were built, suggesting room for six more. That is clearly not enough, on its own.

However, a contemplated (but not yet funded) new MSF for the Yonge North extension would see some of the trains stored at Wilson shifted over, likely leaving sufficient space. Storage in the tail tracks would also be feasible for a few trains.

Sheppard and Morningside works just fine to meet EELRT. Also, running EELRT on Sheppard and up Neilson is complicated and operationally risky. You know what is the same distance and has a lot less traffic conflicts? McLevin-Sewells-Tapscott.

Maybe; if you only look at connecting Malvern Centre to UTSC.

But, the Neilson - Sheppard - Morningside route would also serve those riders who want to go from Malvern Centre to the subways, taking the shortest path. Traffic is not a big issue, if LRT runs in the middle lanes and never in mixed traffic.

That said, EELRT is not the best way to serve Malvern Town Centre. Ideally, I would say subway from Downsview to McCowan and LRT from McCowan to the zoo with a branch to Malvern. Terminate EELRT at Morningside/Sheppard or take it up to Finch.

Again, this option is better for some trips, worse for other trips. A one-seat LRT ride from the Sheppard Subway terminus to UTSC is preferable for those travelling to UTSC from the northern Scarborough, or from North York.

The survey is online now, and they are asking people's preferences for individual station locations.

Survey link here: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projec...ts/sheppard-extension-consultations-june-2024

The list includes stations which do not appear in any of the concepts.

Brimley station which appears in some concepts is the most likely to be dropped. Consumers is less likely, but nothing is final.

As for stations they solicit feedback on that are not on the concept maps:

Pharmacy - not happening
Palmdale - not happening
Bay Mills/Aragon - not happening
Birchmount - not happening
Midland - not at all likely, as it would dictate that the box for Kennedy be on the east side, which is not what is envisioned.
Brownspring - not happening

This is throw people a 'we care/are listening bone' There is some potential to shift the exact location of some station boxes such that a some of these streets could be made quite close to the proposed stations, but not at them.

I just voted: marked 2A "Very Positive", the other 3 options "Positive". Added stations at Birchmount and Midland (I know, my vote probably won't change anything).

Maybe; if you only look at connecting Malvern Centre to UTSC.

But, the Neilson - Sheppard - Morningside route would also serve those riders who want to go from Malvern Centre to the subways, taking the shortest path. Traffic is not a big issue, if LRT runs in the middle lanes and never in mixed traffic.

Post-Line 2 and Sheppard extension nobody will be taking an LRT to connect to a subway at Kennedy. They would take a bus to McCowan station and have two options there. This is why I say connecting EELRT to MTC is largely redundant. I don't think they should bother unless it's a Sheppard branch of some kind.

Again, this option is better for some trips, worse for other trips. A one-seat LRT ride from the Sheppard Subway terminus to UTSC is preferable for those travelling to UTSC from the northern Scarborough, or from North York.

This is doable with a bus from McCowan or STC.

Honestly, I don't see the value of an STC terminus.

1) Kills the possibility of extension.

There are many reasons to prefer the idea of staying on Sheppard, but this is not one.

The SRT ROW would provide a straight forward path east up to Progress, between Bellamy and Markham, from there, the route would have a logical next destination of Centennial College Progress Campus, with other route options beyond (serving Centenary Hospital, and UTSC)

I'm not advocating that choice, to be clear, but its certainly a viable one.

I cannot envision a scenario in which Line 4 would not be above-ground at STC, if that choice were made.

That being said, all of those potential trip generators can still be hit by Line 4 remaining on Sheppard as far east as Markham Road. East of Markham it would have to diverge.

Staying on Sheppard also provides the alternative option of running north into Malvern via the old Canadian Northern ROW which is still intact between Sheppard and Malvern Town Center.

There are arguments for either choice.

The way I see it 2B kinda screws over North Scarborough and Markham for subway access to only improve regional travel marginally. This has the feel of the LRT vs subway debate all over again where a bunch of people who don't live in the area are prioritizing goals other than local benefits.

Last edited:
Are they at all considering it to go from Sheppard west to Morningside and Sheppard? If not, why? Would they have to build another Maintenance facility?

Are they at all considering it to go from Sheppard west to Morningside and Sheppard? If not, why? Would they have to build another Maintenance facility?
I don't see the point of extending it out that far. There's nothing there, very little in terms of density and no trip generators. If you're bothering to go east of MCC you might as well commit and extend it all the way down to Rouge Hill to connect with the GO train.

Incidentally, speaking of cross-regional travel, this is one of the biggest areas of failure for the TTC subway in my opinion. I really wish we had copied NYC and instituted a 4 track express/local set up from the get go. It would have been a help on Yonge, a help on Bloor, and especially on these suburban subway extensions. This set up IMO is the worst of all worlds; you have all the discomfort of a TTC subway, but the stop spacing of a cross regional service that does SFA for the local community. If I was one of the poor schmucks who live in the transit wastelands between stops I would not be remotely convinced that this instead of the LRT was a better option.

I assume it's optioned this way on purpose. You either want to go deeper in Scarborough and get a one-seat ride to Yonge or you want a one seat ride all along Scarborough and North York from McCowan to Sheppard West.

Incidentally, speaking of cross-regional travel, this is one of the biggest areas of failure for the TTC subway in my opinion. I really wish we had copied NYC and instituted a 4 track express/local set up from the get go. It would have been a help on Yonge, a help on Bloor, and especially on these suburban subway extensions. This set up IMO is the worst of all worlds; you have all the discomfort of a TTC subway, but the stop spacing of a cross regional service that does SFA for the local community. If I was one of the poor schmucks who live in the transit wastelands between stops I would not be remotely convinced that this instead of the LRT was a better option.
This is very true for the Yonge leg of line 1.

Honestly, I don't see the value of an STC terminus.

1) Kills the possibility of extension.

2) The value of STC as a local bus hub will diminish post Line 2 extension as the bus hub for Agincourt, Malvern and Markham moves to Sheppard/McCowan.

3) Probably more expensive.

I say 2A.
The one thing I'll say in favour of STC is the fact that its the terminus of the DSBRT, and extending Line 4 there would mean being able to continue directly westward without having to divert 1 stop on Line 2.

However I'm not sure if that alone exceeds the value of... everything else.

Back