News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
It's too late for that now.

People have found other places to get what they used to get at Sears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since it's Lambert, I can guess that the motivation is to re-launch the name, seek investors, take their money, and close the biz again.

although, we folks have to resort to looking elsewhere ..it is a pain....and can't find what is needed.. Sears always had the goods, and is severely missed...- the quality, pricing...and customer service was top...
whatever needed fixing with their appliances..there were no issues getting top service.. we all got spoiled..

I d
although, we folks have to resort to looking elsewhere ..it is a pain....and can't find what is needed.. Sears always had the goods, and is severely missed...- the quality, pricing...and customer service was top...
whatever needed fixing with their appliances..there were no issues getting top service.. we all got spoiled..
i don’t miss Sears one bit. The last few years of its existence saw the stores lookkng like messy junk piles. I never found anything I wanted.

I never bought any appliances there so I can’t speak to that side of the business.

I d

i don’t miss Sears one bit. The last few years of its existence saw the stores lookkng like messy junk piles. I never found anything I wanted.

I never bought any appliances there so I can’t speak to that side of the business.

yes... I totally agree with you on that ..some Sears stores looked messy and didn't have the proper upkeep - and you had to rummage through items
they really let themselves go on that one- that is for sure...
but prices were reasonable, and quality wise- you can wash and wear them for a long time..they had poor management.. and lack of staff to maintain it...
that is the clothes/shoes portion of the store..

appliances, were awesome- Kenmore machines lasted forever, and if anything went wrong with items.. they would fix it, and not resist doing it- and were accommodating... not like places you go to now..you buy the appliances- you have to go directly
to the makers of the appliances head office and they give you the runaround..- and the stores themselves won't help...with Sears you buy it there and they help you cause you bought it there..
with bedding items.. the variety was there, and you can always get what you needed..mattresses/ blinds etc..with no issues... and the catalogue was phenomenal.. to order from.. and had everything in all categories...
they really should have made that the forefront of the business e-commerce.. and it might have succeeded and not folded up the way it did...
I probably sound like I had shares in the company or something..
but it is just a shame that it isn't around anymore... I mean I know, there is the Bay.. -and now Saks and Nordstrom's- but it is way too overpriced for items that you would have found in Sears for the same thing.. and they have limited supplies.
that is what I never could understand... why would Sears fold- in such a tough economic times- and yet, higher end department stores took it's place...
no one turned rich overnight... I mean I am a consumer of those stores, but very rarely .. whereas Sears I used to buy often.. and it was busy whenever I went...not just Eaton Centre and Yorkdale..but I used to patron different cities too..
oh well, guess times change...
~that is my 2cents

anyone know where remaining Sears spaces in the GTA that are left that have no public plans for renovations to replace them? I'm interested in how many more mall reno's we'll be seeing in the next couple of years to fill the vacant spaces. Let me know if I'm wrong on any of these:

- Mapleview Mall
- Upper Canada Mall
- Pickering Town Centre
- Oshawa Centre
- Fairview Mall
- Woodbine Centre
- Erin Mills Town Centre
- Bramalea City Centre

Frankly I'm amazed there are still that many. I feel like there are more malls without plans than malls that have actually made moves to replace Sears.

Woodbine Centre Sears is now a no-name Furniture store. It has been for a while now. I believe they took over both floors as well. (took my son to Fantasy Fair back in November). The Zellers space at this mall was still unused, previously they claimed a Grocery Store would move in.

Didn't they turn the Upper Canada Mall Sears into their new food market? They made a big deal in the media when it opened. (Edit: looking at their map this may not be the case, I'm not too familiar with this mall).

Last edited:
Woodbine Centre Sears is now a no-name Furniture store. It has been for a while now. I believe they took over both floors as well. (took my son to Fantasy Fair back in November). The Zellers space at this mall was still unused, previously they claimed a Grocery Store would move in.

Didn't they turn the Upper Canada Mall Sears into their new food market? They made a big deal in the media when it opened. (Edit: looking at their map this may not be the case, I'm not too familiar with this mall).
That was the former target space.

anyone know where remaining Sears spaces in the GTA that are left that have no public plans for renovations to replace them? I'm interested in how many more mall reno's we'll be seeing in the next couple of years to fill the vacant spaces. Let me know if I'm wrong on any of these:

- Mapleview Mall
- Upper Canada Mall
- Pickering Town Centre
- Oshawa Centre
- Fairview Mall
- Woodbine Centre
- Erin Mills Town Centre
- Bramalea City Centre

Frankly I'm amazed there are still that many. I feel like there are more malls without plans than malls that have actually made moves to replace Sears.

Replace Sears ? It's like replacing your grandma !

- Mapleview Mall
- Upper Canada Mall
- Pickering Town Centre
- Oshawa Centre
- Fairview Mall
- Woodbine Centre
- Erin Mills Town Centre
- Bramalea City Centre

There are plans to redevelop the Sears space at Pickering Town Centre (huge master plan), and Upper Canada Sears will be cut up into smaller mid-box tenants.

- Mapleview Mall
- Upper Canada Mall
- Pickering Town Centre
- Oshawa Centre
- Fairview Mall
- Woodbine Centre
- Erin Mills Town Centre
- Bramalea City Centre

I know the Fairview location had been slotted for a new Indigo. The one that was closed at Bayview Village was supposed to move over. (obviously they would not have taken the entire space)

Not sure what happened to that plan, haven't been up there in ages.

More broadly...........expect to see more from Maison Simons in the not too distant future.

They were stretched financially but now have a new financing which should allow them to resume a fairly ambitious expansion plan.

I have no inside knowledge on any decisions in that regard, currently........... but I would anticipate something like 3 more GTA stores. I would tend to think at least 2 of those would be in former Sears spaces.

There are plans to redevelop the Sears space at Pickering Town Centre (huge master plan), and Upper Canada Sears will be cut up into smaller mid-box tenants.

I know the Fairview location had been slotted for a new Indigo. The one that was closed at Bayview Village was supposed to move over. (obviously they would not have taken the entire space)

Not sure what happened to that plan, haven't been up there in ages.

More broadly...........expect to see more from Maison Simons in the not too distant future.

They were stretched financially but now have a new financing which should allow them to resume a fairly ambitious expansion plan.

I have no inside knowledge on any decisions in that regard, currently........... but I would anticipate something like 3 more GTA stores. I would tend to think at least 2 of those would be in former Sears spaces.

Not surprising to here the Upper Canada Sears is going to get mid-box tenants. Also, yes the Fairview location was suppose to get a Indigo, IDK why it has yet to be open,

Sears CF Eaton Centre is obviously fully leased, but I can't help still wishing/speculating where/when Simons will secure a spot in the core.

^Well the SunLife Financial Centre would've been a pretty good spot for them but that ship has sailed. Asides from that, there's really no other suitable space in the core with large square footage that comes to my mind.

it would have been large enough - but it's not really a retail area. I'd love to see the Bay close at yonge and bloor and see the building gutted and have Simons move in. That would be a good spot - and It almost happened for Saks before they decided to take the Queen Street location instead.

Back