408     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 820     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 688     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
If they could suck that money right back out of Uncle Eddies hands that would be phenomenal. This is going to be a lengthy process but hopefully the end result is taking that money right out of his greedy hands.

Given how poorly other department stores are doing in the current climate, I wonder what will come of all these closed Sears locations. It's an odd time in Canadian retailing. We still have all the TARGET stores sitting empty. I wonder what the retail landscape is going to be in 5 years...

Canadian Tire will be snapping up a bunch of Sears stores as replacements for smaller existing stores, or as new stores in underserved markets.

CT started planning for the demise of Sears a while back so it could be prepared to take on some of their properties and not have to scramble once Sears declared bankruptcy. Pretty much prepared to avoid the scramble that went on when Target left Canada.

If WalMart wants to compete with Amazon, it would be interesting if they would consider shuttering standalone stores and converting them to E-comm fulfillment centres, while moving into vacant Sears spaces. Kind of like what they are doing with Sams Club locations. Whatever happens, it will definitely interesting to see what happens with all of this real estate.

Interesting concept. I don't know if any GTA Sears properties would be potential. I wonder how CTC would handle 2-story properties since it is not part of their usual plan and I think would impair their vision of the 'shopping experience'; i.e. schlepping big box-type stuff up and down escalators. Perhaps a linked Marks, but that would be too much floor area in most cases. There would also be the issue of their auto centres. It would be a costing reno and might not be compatible with all mall locations.

Interesting concept. I don't know if any GTA Sears properties would be potential. I wonder how CTC would handle 2-story properties since it is not part of their usual plan and I think would impair their vision of the 'shopping experience'; i.e. schlepping big box-type stuff up and down escalators. Perhaps a linked Marks, but that would be too much floor area in most cases. There would also be the issue of their auto centres. It would be a costing reno and might not be compatible with all mall locations.
Several of CT’s top selling stores have two floors, including the Eaton Centre (AIUI, their top selling location for paint), Yonge and Davenport, and Leslie St (one of the top selling CT stores nationwide). However these are all urban stores, so it will be interesting to see if the suburban CT customer will embrace the two floor Crappy Tire.

Many Sears locations had auto centres, since they sold Diehard car batteries, RoadHandler brand tires, and changed oil, etc. I assume these could be converted to Canadian Tire auto bays.

71_fullsizerender84.jpg

Last edited:
Several of CT’s top selling stores have two floors, including the Eaton Centre (AIUI, their top selling location for paint), Yonge and Davenport, and Leslie St (one of the top selling CT stores nationwide). However these are all urban stores, so it will be interesting to see in the suburban CT customer will embrace the two floor Crappy Tire.

Many Sears locations had auto centres, since they sold tires and changed oil, etc. I assume these could be converted to Canadian Tire auto bays.

71_fullsizerender84.jpg

Interesting. I did not know there was a store at the Eaton Centre and forgot about the Davenport location. And you are right about the Sears auto centres. The store nearest me had one but was discontinued several years ago but when you mentioned it, I recall that the bay doors were still in place. Tnx

The lake shore and leslie location is on the second floor, but is not in itself a two floor facility. All sales occur on the second floor, with Marks and other various retailers on the ground level. Yonge and Davenport would be better described as 1.5 floors as well, only sporting goods is on the second floor.

The one true "split level" Canadian Tire is Bay and Bloor, as far as I know. No idea if the new Canadian Tire at King and Atlantic will take 1 or 2 floors.

I generally tend to try to go to the Lake Shore+Leslie location whenever possible, it is a much more pleasant store to be in compared to Yonge+Davenport and especially Bay+Bloor.

The lake shore and leslie location is on the second floor, but is not in itself a two floor facility. All sales occur on the second floor, with Marks and other various retailers on the ground level. Yonge and Davenport would be better described as 1.5 floors as well, only sporting goods is on the second floor.

The one true "split level" Canadian Tire is Bay and Bloor, as far as I know. No idea if the new Canadian Tire at King and Atlantic will take 1 or 2 floors.

I generally tend to try to go to the Lake Shore+Leslie location whenever possible, it is a much more pleasant store to be in compared to Yonge+Davenport and especially Bay+Bloor.

Kingsclub will be a 2 floor store. Technically, Yonge and Davenport is actually 3 floors. Auto and Tools are on the lower level, Housewares, seasonal, and hardware on the main floor, and sports on the mezzanine.

CT has experience with stores split over multiple floors. In fact, all of the Target stores that CT took over were kept as two story stores. Edmonton is also a two story store, as is Lawrence/Allan right here in Toronto.

Sorry about Leslie Lake Shore... it will be a mess for the next few months as it is being renovated. I think you will love it even more once done though!

Last edited:
Can you see the above Canadian Tire scenario happening at any former GTA Sears locations?

Exact locations CT is taking over haven't been disclosed yet so I am not sure, but I don't imagine any will be in the GTA.

I know of one in the Ottawa market so far and that is all.

Sorry about Leslie Lake Shore... it will be a mess for the next few months as it is being renovated. I think you will love it even more once done though!

Was sorry to see the large mural by the escalators, which featured at least one scene from the bike ad IIRC, completely gone.

Bike.png

Attachments

• Bike.png
    Bike.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 519
Was sorry to see the large mural by the escalators, which featured at least one scene from the bike ad IIRC, completely gone.

Soon to be gone from every store that has it. It was tacky imo and was nothing more than a vinyl wrap.

There's a nod to it at Yonge/Davenport though, in the form of an antique bike hanging above the entrance.

Kingsclub will be a 2 floor store. Technically, Yonge and Davenport is actually 3 floors. Auto and Tools are on the lower level, Housewares, seasonal, and hardware on the main floor, and sports on the mezzanine.

CT has experience with stores split over multiple floors. In fact, all of the Target stores that CT took over were kept as two story stores. Edmonton is also a two story store, as is Lawrence/Allan right here in Toronto.

Sheppard near Leslie is also a 1.5 level store. There is some sales floor space on the lower floor but most is the service department. There is also a Marks and a TD Bank on the lower level.

Back