News   Apr 26, 2024
 148     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 574     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
...and there goes the CEO:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...leave-amid-clash-over-revamp/article14487696/

"In a surprise move, Sears Canada Inc. chief executive officer Calvin McDonald is leaving more than two years after having spearheaded a transformation of the struggling retailer, raising questions about its revival in the industry’s increasingly tough landscape. On Tuesday, Sears announced that Mr. McDonald will leave for a new opportunity, taking a top position at another company."

...and there goes the CEO:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...leave-amid-clash-over-revamp/article14487696/

"In a surprise move, Sears Canada Inc. chief executive officer Calvin McDonald is leaving more than two years after having spearheaded a transformation of the struggling retailer, raising questions about its revival in the industry’s increasingly tough landscape. On Tuesday, Sears announced that Mr. McDonald will leave for a new opportunity, taking a top position at another company."

I wonder where Calvin has landed....international retailer or some other Canadian outfit (isn't Lululemon still looking for a CEO?)

I could see Nordstrom (or someone similar) taking the main floor and +1. The -1 level could be taken by another retailer like Simons, or it could be subdivided for smaller retail, just like the -2 level was a few years ago when the original Eaton's went under.

I wish they could go further and actually contemplate some changes to the building - extending the atrium, opening up the exterior, etc.

AoD

I could see Nordstrom (or someone similar) taking the main floor and +1. The -1 level could be taken by another retailer like Simons, or it could be subdivided for smaller retail, just like the -2 level was a few years ago when the original Eaton's went under.

The split need not only be horizontal.

I wonder where Calvin has landed....international retailer or some other Canadian outfit (isn't Lululemon still looking for a CEO?)

Calvin lands at Sephora

Does anyone know exactly what they lease the space for ??

You have to wonder if its worth it for sears ... do they pay the same for the office space (i.e. the top floors) ?

I think the one negative that may come out of this is Sears is going to relocate to some suburban location - so a loss of a lot of jobs in the core (i.e. 1500) ... now to be fair those jobs are probably going to go either way ; - ) ... just a matter of time, already lost around, hmm, 1000 I think from their HQ ...

True. But I think it would look funny/weird to see two dept stores side by side. I don't know, I guess it's just me. :)

And wouldn't each floor be too narrow if split?

Why would it be weird? And why assume two department stores would be side by side? It's a big box that could be developed hundreds of different ways.

Why would it be weird? And why assume two department stores would be side by side? It's a big box that could be developed hundreds of different ways.

As soon as you said "split vertically", that was the first vision that popped into my head, having two anchors side by side. But you are right, they could develop it any number of ways. As devjohnson said above, CF will probably redo the whole space. Sears leaving would be a huge opportunity for CF. :)

Back