1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
Primark is awful. I said somewhere recently that Primark makes the average Joe Fresh store look like Nordstrom. It takes cheap clothing to a whole new level. It would presumably, however, do much better than the existing Sears stores.

With massive stores and revenue in the Billions, I would consider Primark more in league with Topshop

I wouldn't say Primark is necessarily awful but they're definitely a low cost retailer. I remember buying some clothes a few years back at the Primark on Oxford St in London and they're still in good shape today.

My grandma selling preserves would do better than Sears.

But, seriously, Primark would do very well, I suspect. The appeal escapes me (merchandise strewn on the floor, high decibel level, clothing that literally cost pennies to manufacture) but it has been very successful in Europe - primarily targeting teens. And to give their corporate bosses credit, they were one of the few chains to step up after the Bangladeshi factory collapse.

Loblaws may want to protect Joe Fresh brand in Canada and bringing their Primark banner to our shores will definitely cause them to reconsider. However, they can definitely play together and would do well in the suburban malls by taking a huge piece of the Sears space. As far as urban locations are concerned, they haven't penetrated with Joe Fresh and Primark would do well (like on Oxford Street in London, where they have 2 stores as bookends on the strip). I've just returned from London and make no mistake, the busiest stores on Oxford St were the 2 Primarks. There were teens, families, singles, ladies carrying bags from Selfridges, young and old and every one else in between. Mind you the tourist factor is high on Oxford St, but it's also high at Yonge-Dundas, where a flagship store would do phenomenal business. Yes the merchandise looked disposable, yet it's fashionable and very affordable, and this has become the norm these days. Alas when I was growing up we had Bargain Harolds and the Biway.

^ Good points on the tourism factor. Because of the price point and the location, the London Primark does do very well and a Primark at Yonge-Dundas would, without question, do really well also.

In other related news, I just ordered online a Columbia winter jacket that was on sale at Sears the other day. It should be delivered tomorrow. Hey, I'm doing my part to keep Sears alive. ;)

It's everyone's fashionable guilty pleasure: a high-street value store, known and loved for its fashion-forward designs at bargain prices.

And now, analysts are hailing Primark as a 'retailing powerhouse' that's perfected the art of mixing low prices with high fashion.

The high street giant has considerably upped its fashion game in recent years, with stronger, on-trend ranges that have made it a clear winner in the 'hauling' trend, which sees customers sharing pictures and videos of their shopping sprees at value retailers, analysts Conlumino said.

Conlumino senior consultant Anusha Couttigane said changes in the way Primark responds to fashion have been critical to its success in recent years, making shopping there 'no longer something to be whispered about'.

Improved perceptions of its quality and fashionability had helped it to break through fashion snobbery.

Stephen Springham, senior retail analyst at Planet Retail, said Primark succeeds by being 'not just cheap but also by being very fashionable'.

He said: 'The fact that the product may lack durability is neither here nor there - its shoppers are after something fast and disposable.

'It’s all about volume, volume and volume and there’s little place for e-commerce in this model. But it means that the stores must be compelling, which Primark stores are, and have rapid stock-turn, which Primark does.

'The Primark model doesn’t necessarily need e-commerce - it relies on stores having mass destination appeal and shoppers not knowing what they are going to buy before they go in.

'But they will never, ever leave empty-handed. And they will be back again very soon to do the same again. Customers enjoying shopping, retail as a leisure pursuit - old guard, but highly effective nonetheless.

Ms Couttigane said Primark’s figures were 'remarkable' and more in line with the growth of much smaller, less developed enterprises.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ected-art-mixing-low-prices-high-fashion.html

^ Good points on the tourism factor. Because of the price point and the location, the London Primark does do very well and a Primark at Yonge-Dundas would, without question, do really well also.

Probably, although Sears has sold the lease at Yonge-Dundas, so they'd need to find another location.

Daily Mail said:
It's everyone's fashionable guilty pleasure

Not really, unless maneuvering through merchandise strewn on floors to get to clothing that makes H&M and Forever 21 seem like bespoke is your thing.

Embattled Sears Canada sees quarterly loss widen as sales fall
The Globe and Mail, 18 November 2014

WTF? Same-store sales have fallen almost 10%. You can't make something like this up. What the heck is happening over there? It's like the plot in 30 Rock where Jack tries to "tank" NBC. Is someone trying to do the same to Sears Canada?

I think the chain is in a death-spiral - it's falling further behind, with nothing but dated stores and bad news when everyone else is upping their game. Well, the US home company cashed in and we're left with a husk.

AoD

Last edited:

Back