News   Jul 15, 2024
 273     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 459     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

Scramble Crossings (City of Toronto) (Yonge/Dundas, Yonge/Bloor, Bay/Bloor)

He won't. Perhaps why Bloor & Bay was "rushed" onto the scene this week.

Rushed after being planned for a decade? Wasn't it under Lastman that the works department was initially requested to look into them?

I sent a letter in early 2004 to the city about a scramble at Yonge/Dundas and received official response indicating it was already under consideration. The response did not say when it was first proposed but it sounded like it may have been for some time.

Last edited:
Queen and Spadina are probably considered more important routes than Dundas, though, so you've still got a point. I don't think they want to do anything that could potentially make Queen, King or Spadina run slower or less reliably.

I think Yonge & Eglinton would be a cool spot for one of these.Yonge & Front, too.

Pretty sure that's a mathematical impossibility :p. During rush hour through the central sections, you can walk faster than most of those streetcars travel.

He won't. Perhaps why Bloor & Bay was "rushed" onto the scene this week.

This intersection is three blocks from work, and I use it daily. The signals were installed several weeks ago once the permanent traffic lights were installed following the construction of Bloor Street. Now that the intersection is paved, the signals re-programmed and equipped, it was time for the Barnes Dance to be implemented.

While a very interesting concidence, I see nothing more than just that in the timing of the operation.

How about Front/York/University? People spill out onto the roads here at rush hour as they come and go from the York West Teamway. Also many people have to go through two crossing stages to get where they want to go here. This may be less of a problem when the York East Teamway is built, but who knows when that will be.

Last edited:
How about Front/York/University? People spill out onto the roads here at rush hour as they come and go from the York West Teamway. Also many people have to go through two crossing stages to get where they want to go here. This may be less of a problem when the York East Teamway is built, but who knows when that will be.

That section of front street as a whole is to be rebuilt to make it much easier to cross as a pedestrian.

A scramble would be great there, absolutely. The area may get a bit less crowded when the new northwest PATH connection is built under that part of the street, but who knows when that will actually happen.

I'd actually like them to be implemented at every downtown intersection, but on the following typical cycle:

A: North-south traffic proceeds, right turns permitted, no pedestrians.
B: Scramble.
C: East-west traffic proceeds, right turns permitted, no pedestrians.
D: Scramble.
E: North-south....etc.

All else being equal, this would offer a slight decrease in waiting time for pedestrians, and a moderate increase in waiting time for cars. But since right turns are either banned or often tie up an entire lane of traffic at busy intersections based on the current set up, I think that the net effect would be positive for both pedestrians and drivers.

I have heard from someone in the know that the reason why this type of cycle isn't implemented is because it might confuse seeing eye dogs that are used to being able to cross on the green.

I just like how when the Yonge & Dundas crossing was installed, CityTV seemed to take the greater part of the week trying to educate Toronto on how to use a diagonal crossing. Seriously, it's as if they think we're still fearful of fire.

I just like how when the Yonge & Dundas crossing was installed, CityTV seemed to take the greater part of the week trying to educate Toronto on how to use a diagonal crossing. Seriously, it's as if they think we're still fearful of fire.

Just wait until POP gets put on all TC routes, now THAT should be a good education. Aside from those who ride the Queen streetcar, most people in Toronto have never had experience with POP.

Aside from those who ride the Queen streetcar, most people in Toronto have never had experience with POP.
Judging by some of the rude comments I've had after entering through the back door of a 501 ALRV, even some of those that ride the Queen streetcar don't understand POP. Though how many years has it been since anyone has seen a ticket inspector on that route.

Back